Barked: Sun May 19, '13 3:42pm PST 
Thanks natcho. So do I.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jazzy, May 19 3:42 pm

Dog Health > Jazz is having knee surgery
Jazzy

momma's little- monster, the- terrorist,

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 3:38am PST 
So my dachshund Jazz is having surgery to correct his LP. since I had heard from one of the vets I worked with that jazz has a luxating patella I had kept him from doing strenuous things to keep him from putting pressure and stress on his knee. My vet told me it was a mild case of LP. Last Sunday jazz had slipped and fell on his bad leg. And of course that had to happen a day before his recheck. My Dr said that his knee is so bad that it won't even stay in place and that he needs surgery asap. I guess that fall was so extreme to have his LP go from mild to severe in a month. His surgery is on Monday. I hope everything goes smoothly as I will be watching the surgery.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jazzy, May 19 3:42 pm

Dog Health > Luxating Patellas In Dachshunds

Jazzy

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 1:02am PST 
Billy - Well the good thing about the vet I talked to is I work with him every day. I work at a 6 doctor hospital which is nice because each vet is specialized in something that I have. Dr. Snead (the doctor I have spoken to numerous times about Jazz's condition), He specializes in orthopedics and exotics, my BOSS specializes in orthopedics, reptiles, and exotic big cats (tigers, lions etc. All the other doctors have their specialties too but that's not the point.. And being a vet tech I tend to understand what is actually going on with my dogs or any of my other patients and why doctors order certain procedures to be done.

When I was talking to Dr. Snead today he explained to me that Patellar problems NEVER go away on their own nor do they resolve itself. The only time patella surgeries are actually successful is when the surgeries are being done on a patient that is still young. Jazz is fairly young. He will be turning 3 in June. Plus if no action is taken now then there's another risk that one of the cruciate ligaments that are attached to the patella can snap and that will be another surgery he needs.

Beanster - I have to disagree with you about frenchies having a more pronounced curve in femurs than dachshunds. I Have taken enough x-rays of frenchies and doxies to know who's femurs are more curved than the other. Dachshunds have more of a curve to their femurs than frenchies do. Dachshunds have short, stubby legs that are meant to carry a elongated body and that puts more stress on the dachshunds knees. Frenchies on the other hand have longer legs and a composed body. Sure they both can get LP but a frenchies structure isn't going to put more pressure and stress on the knee caps like a doxie.

The way my mindset is that I'm thinking now and for the future. I'm thinking if i can nip this in the bud then jazz can have a happy life and not having to worry about his knee. Also from what the dr. told me is that i can prevent arthritis now by doing surgery instead of waiting for the condition to progress and giving it a chance to produce arthritis. Plus it doesn't help that Jazz is "accident" prone.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jazzy, Apr 19 1:02 am

Jazzy

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 12:13am PST 
Well I've been thinking a lot since I took x-rays on him. Other breeds can have a normal life with LP because their femurs are naturally straight. Dachshunds on the other hand have a lot of curve to their femurs no thanks to breed selection. A curved femur can do a lot of harm than good in a dachshund and It's not going to get any better on its own. And when i was speaking to one of my vets today, we agreed that since he's young, we can do the surgery now and it will do more good for him now than later on in life.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jazzy, Apr 19 1:02 am

Jazzy

Barked: Mon Apr 15, '13 10:50pm PST 
So last night after returning from the dog park my boyfriend and I had noticed that our mini wirehair dachshund Jazz was limping on his left back leg. Being a vet tech I had assessed his hind leg to find out what may be bothering him in his left hind leg. I did a toe pinch to see if he pulls his leg away. Sadly, he did not react to the toe pinch the way I would have liked him to. I also flipped his toes upside down to see if he would immediately correct his foot which he did. So that was a good sign. I brought him to my work so one of the doctors could take a look at him. He told me that Jazz's hip, femur, tibia, and fibula felt fine. But he had noticed that Jazz has a Luxating patella. I do know that Luxating patellas occur more in small dogs than large dogs. I just don't know a lot about the luxating patella besides the fact that the patella slides in and out of the knee joint. I will be taking Jazz into work with me tomorrow to do knee rads to see how severe the luxating patella is. My question is how severe does the the luxating patella need to be to have surgery on it? If its just a mild case of Luxating Patella, can Jazz live a normal life without having surgery? How can it affect him if he doesn't have surgery? Has anybody ever had a successful knee surgery for their dogs? If so please tell me about your experiences. Being that Jazz is a dachshund, we all know that they have short stubby legs, I'm wondering if the Luxating patella affects the dachshunds more than other small/toy breeds. I'm very concerned for my baby boy and hoping and praying that he doesn't have to have surgery.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jazzy, Apr 19 1:02 am

Puppy Place > What is the strangest breed you've been mistaken for?
Jazzy

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 2:12am PST 
Jazz:
terrier/dachshund mix (understandable)
Shnauzer/dachshund (must be the beard)
Doxiepoo (dachshund/poodle)
Yorkie/dachshund (REALLY?)

Not many ppl know that dachshunds come in 3 coat forms short, long and wirehair and Jazz just happens to be a Mini wirehair dachshund. So it is my duty to educate ppl on the wirehair dachshunds smile
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Piper, Jul 8 9:21 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Help with future breed match

Jazzy

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 12:52am PST 
Lupi and Wiggles it all depends on what socializing you do with the doxies while they are still young. I socialized my mini wirehair doxie Jazz with just about everything while he was still a young pup so that he wouldn't be nippy and scared.. That included cats, dogs (big and small) small animals (ferrets, hamsters etc) old people, young people and little children as young as 6 months - a year.

I have also been told and have experienced that wirehaired dachshunds are a lot more calmer than the long hair and short hair dachshunds. I could be wrong. I have only encountered 4 other wirehair dachshunds other than my own and they all have been sweet with no nips. Although they did have the other doxie traits like digging and barking. But that is a hound for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dino, Jan 25 3:08 pm

Jazzy

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 11:29am PST 
wow wiggles maybe my dachshunds are oddballs of the doxie world. Mine walk off leash and do not go more than 2 feet from me even if they see another dog, bird, or small animal that looks like fun to chase. They LOVE kids and I don't even have any of my own. Mine don't bark much at all. And mine don't dig. I know that if you have the dog before the children come into your life you will be able to teach the child to be gentle with any dog you bring into the home.

I used to bring my mini wirehair dachshund to the kid area of the park and let kids pet him so that may have caused my doxie to be friendly towards children.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Dino, Jan 25 3:08 pm

Jazzy

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 4:44am PST 
Corgi's shed a lot. They are also herding breeds so they may tend to try to herd you if you don't break the habit early in their puppy phase. Majority of the Cavalier spaniels produce a heart murmur. Can be maintained with medications. Basset hounds are big dogs on short stubby legs. So research the breed a bit more. Chinese Shar Pei's have skin and eye issues. More eye issues than a pug gets. Also some of them are not very kid friendly. So that's another breed you should do extensive research on that breed. Italian greyhounds are great dogs except the fact that they have the highest extremity fatalities ( breaking leg bones) due to their small and fragile size. They can jump off a couch and break their leg just from doing so.

Have you considered a miniature dachshund? I have two and they are great loveable dogs. They depend on your affection. Love kids. Don't need professional grooming if you get a short hair. I have two and they are one of the best dogs I have owned. My mini wirehair LOVES kids. When he sees my god-daughter he goes nuts. He covers her in kisses and sleeps with her.

Basenji's are great dogs. Minimal coat care. Known as the "barkless dog". Instead of barking they do a yodel sound. And it's very minimal.

Alaskan Klee Kai's look like mini huskies with a fox like appearance. They just need a daily brushing especially during the shedding seasons.

Beagles are great dogs and can be easily trained not to bark so much..

Boston terriers and french bulldogs are also dogs you might consider. As being a pug owner, this may be ideal breeds for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Dino, Jan 25 3:08 pm

Dog Health > Allergies. Need some suggestions or advice on food
Jazzy

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 7:15am PST 
I'll try wellness lamb & oatmeal next. I know oatmeal is good for thierry skin and coats and I know dogs with allergies that if give them an oatmeal bath, the oatmeal is suppose to sooth their skin. Or I may try natural balance limited ingredient: venison & sweet potatoe or bison & sweet potatoe. Not to sure if jazz likes lamb or not but I'll find out.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by joey, Oct 14 6:33 pm

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.