Postings by Makoto

GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Food & Nutrition > Antlers?
Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 3:32pm PST 
My dogs certainly prefer edible chews like bully sticks and cow ears, but the antlers are a good thing to be able to leave around for anytime chewing. They last a very long time.

My only caution is to make sure you get a big enough antler. We have the lastest possible elk antler for Koto (70 lbs) and got a medium deer antler for Tesla (17 lbs). Koto got hold of Tess' antler and cracked it open. We threw it away so he wouldn't break his teeth trying to break it up. Both dogs enjoy the larger anter so from now on we will only get the large size for safety.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Ikan, Mar 1 10:26 am

Dog Health > drain tube fell out of hematoma site, which formed after lipoma removal on belly. HELP
Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Sun Jan 22, '12 9:50am PST 
I don't have any experience with this or advice for you, but you have my sympathy! Surgery is always stressful, especially with elderly dogs. I hope your pup feels better soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Makoto, Jan 22 9:50 am

Dog Health > Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia

Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Thu Sep 29, '11 9:02pm PST 
It is true that neutering will prevent BPH, but that's no reason to feel guilty! Neutering will also cure it, and BPH isn't life threatening. However, if the prostate is continuing to get bigger it can put pressure on and obstruct defecation or urination. You can treat with hormones, but those have yucky side effects. I'd say, if your dog is having symptoms, he's probably uncomfortable and the best thing to do for his well-being is have him neutered.

I think choosing to responsibly own an intact male is a good one, but in this case your dog is probably better off getting neutered so he can be comfortable.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Samson, Sep 29 9:09 pm

Raw Food Diet > In the park and I find a dead squirrel..

Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Sun Sep 18, '11 6:07pm PST 
I know people who eat roadkill deer, but there's a list at the police station. When a deer gets hit and called in, the next person on the list gets it if they can come right away. You know that it's been killed by a car, not disease, and you know when it was killed so it's fresh.

Eating a dead animal you find and don't know why or when it died is completely different and unsafe, even for dogs. They might not get sick, but they very well could.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Duke, Sep 18 7:44 pm

Puppy Place > Puppy Socialization Classes; What\'s your take?

Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Fri Jul 22, '11 4:33pm PST 
I think of a good puppy kindergarten class as an opportunity for controlled socialization. In Tesla's classes, there were usually two other puppies her age. It's important for a puppy to learn how to play with other puppies. Most importantly, for bite inhibition. Tesla and Koto play all the time, but he's 70 pounds and she was 4 pounds at 8 weeks. She could play ROUGH with him, and he didn't bat an eye. It just didn't hurt him, and if she only played with adult dogs, she might learn that biting hard doesn't hurt because it doesn't hurt them.

Playing with puppies helped her learn to modulate how she plays. The puppies actually yelped when she bit too hard. How can you get more controlled than a small group of puppies who are all a similar weight and age? We also worked on basic obedience and had many opportunities to practice working with distractions.

Going to a class is entirely different from letting your dog drag you to meet every random dog on the street. Yes, dogs need to learn how to focus and work (whatever kind they do) around other dogs, but they also need to learn how to actually interact with other dogs. They need social skills, and if you think about it...rushing up to strange dogs is actually of rude in dog-speak.

So, I guess I'm saying that you can have both. Early socialization is so important for bite inhibition and doggy social skills...and the window to learn those things is quite small. They learn it better when they're younger and some will never learn at all if you wait. But what's the point of meeting strange dogs on the street? Why trust that the dog is friendly and the owner isn't an idiot? There are so many dogs with BAD social skills out there, that we generally keep our distance. Last thing I need is for Tesla to have a traumatic experience and then have to retrain TWO dog-reactive dogs.

Go to a good class, continue with obedience classes, and continue socializing your dog with dogs you know to be friendly and well mannered. Out on walks, work on focus instead of meeting strange dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by The Urban Hounds (Formerly the, Jul 23 5:39 am

Puppy Place > Puppy Socialization Classes; What\'s your take?
Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Thu Jul 21, '11 2:37pm PST 
Mulder, I wish I had your problem!
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by The Urban Hounds (Formerly the, Jul 23 5:39 am

Puppy Place > 6 Week Pup...BYB

Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Fri Jul 15, '11 5:26pm PST 
"Ultimately though, the best we can do for such issues are to try to do what we can to reduce and contain these issues."

Yes, and you can reduce these issues by not buying puppies from BYBs or millers. It's a good start that you care about your puppy's socialization, but supporting BYBs and millers is bad for your puppy, any puppies produced by this person in the future, the puppies' parents, and YOU. You are likely to end up with some serious behavioral and health issues because of the poor quality of breeding, lack of health testing, dirty/unsafe conditions, and lack of socialization/care on the part of the "breeder."
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Mayhem, Jul 29 7:55 pm

Dog Health > The responsibilities of a stud owner...

Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Thu Jun 30, '11 4:28pm PST 
Trigger, I think it's obvious that you are passionate and knowledgeable about your dogs and your breed, and that you are considering this carefully and giving yourself a lot of time to figure out what you want. As far as choosing which bitches to breed to, I guess I'd say a good breeder to work with is the same as a good breeder to buy from. Personally, I have very high standards, and I know you do too. You've done your homework finding Hoyt's breeder, so I'm sure you already know what to look for when considering breeders to work with.

I think there is a strong inclination amongst some on Dogster to prevent ANY breeding and I believe that is short sighted. Try not to take it personally as it probably has nothing to do with you. Some people will not be satisfied with even the most responsible breeding.

As far as checking others' health testing, breeders can opt to have their tests publicly displayed on the OFFA website. An absence of data doesn't mean that the dog wasn't tested, but it's nice to be able to look up what has been included.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Henry, Jul 2 10:02 am

Dog Health > Mulder\'s butt: rounding the homestretch

Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Wed Jun 29, '11 5:24pm PST 
Maybe cortisone cream? You'd have to keep him from licking that too, but it might help.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Makoto, Jun 29 5:24 pm

Dog Health > Mulder\'s butt: rounding the homestretch
Makoto

Professor- Woofington

Barked: Mon Jun 27, '11 4:37pm PST 
Aww, Mulder, I hope you feel better soon! It's so frustrating to be told that nothing is wrong when you're clearly uncomfortable.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Makoto, Jun 29 5:24 pm

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.