GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Plus Contests > OCT Photo Challenge.... WIND!
Barney

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 3:22pm PST 
Mom got my photo just before a big thunderstorm this past weekend!

Barney and the wind!
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Reba, Jan 12 8:59 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > An Assignment for You Guys for My Article!
Barney

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 10:01am PST 
I was originally interested in showing my guys and possibly breeding Crystal. Barney was successfully shown until his eye issue, but I am too old and too tired to do the research necessary for such a scary breed... you need to spend YEARS learning the genetics before you EVER attempt a breeding with any breed... and even more critical with these guys.
Thankfully all three of mine are neutered and if I need another, there are PLENTY in rescue needing homes!! I shudder to think how many of JL's end up in rescue.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 31 10:01 am

Small Dogs > Sweaters/Clothing for Small Dogs

Barney

Barked: Tue Sep 18, '12 8:22pm PST 
Obviously, my two hairless boys need clothes in N H Winters. They have fleece jump suits made by a crested person in Canada. They fit well, are warm and don't break the bank. If you scroll thru the photo albums you can see them wearing them.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Sandy, Mar 26 3:07 pm

Dog Health > Chapped testicle or something more sinister....?

Barney

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '12 4:30am PST 
Misty, if you read ALL the posts you will notice she has been to the vets for this very issue!!
Trigger, Barney was my over the top boy. When I got him he was just under a year and frankly, I didn't love him AT ALL!!! He was insane and never stopped. He spent all his time trying to breed ALL the other dogs and no one was even near being in heat. When he wasn't doing that he was trying to start stuff with the other boys (neutered), and I could not teach him ANYTHING because I never had his attention...it was always somewhere off in lala land.
He was supposed to be shown so I put up with him for about four months, but still HATED him!
Finally, he had the hereditary eye issue so I immediately had him neutered. I was lucky in that within 4 to 6 weeks he was completely and totally a different dog.
He still has plenty of energy and go but he is now able to listen to me and, as a result, he IS well behaved and fun and funny and I now love him dearly! Cresteds are supposed to be companions and dogs for "pleasure" of their owners and he is now totally that.
An added plus... now there are NO issues with the other dogs and the marking and mounting has stopped completely.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Samson, Jun 2 10:28 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Crufts Controversy?

Barney

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 4:54am PST 
Buster, yes, teeth CAN be an issue with hairless CC's BUT, good teeth CAN be found in hairless cresteds...Barney has all his teeth (although his canines ARE more tusk like), Harvey does not. While they WERE bred from good lines, I personally would not had used their mother for breeding due to her teeth.
The biggest issue with teeth in the hairless IS due to BYB and mills since they breed hairless to hairless, which responsible breeders DO NOT DO. Sadly, most of the toothless CC's people see ARE the result of these breeders and by no means represent those being shown today.
Around here, at least, hairless CC's ARE judged on their teeth as well as everything else. A few missing teeth in an otherwise excellent dog are accepted, but dogs like Harvey DO NOT win.
BOTH Harvey and Barney are considered true hairless cresteds, and do not grow ANY coat except some fuzz along their spines. I personally shave their face and ears since I prefer the clean face but that is optional and they can be shown with hairy faces. Barney had excellent furnishings, but since he is now a pet and not a show dog being "protected" from coat damage resulting from racing thru brambles and brush, his furnishing are less full.
Other genetic defects affecting cresteds are more visible and DO end their show careers so are not "hidden" by grooming, etc. Both Barney and Harvey have lost an eye due to KCS, sadly there is NO prebreeding test for this yet, and Harvey had a hip removed due to LCPD, which his parents were BOTH tested for but, obviously WERE carriers and there is no DNA test available at this time. For the record, his parents WERE neutered after this litter!!
[notify]
» There has since been 47 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Mar 19 12:22 am

Behavior & Training > Marking in the house
Barney

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 4:18am PST 
I usually say, "Hey", if I catch him right in the act, then immediately put him outside. I actually pick him up while he is still peeing, if I have to. I praise to the hilt when he goes outside, and being a male dog, he will usually finish or go again once outside.
If I didn't see it happen, I yell at myself for not watching closely and clean it up.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 22 4:35 am

Behavior & Training > Marking in the house

Barney

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 7:07am PST 
Yup too much freedom! When I bring an older male in to become a house dog they are either leashed to me OR babygated in the room with me or crated. Yes, even if I go to the bathroom or just out to the kitchen to grab a snack they either go with me or are put in their crate.
Make sure you keep all room doors either shut OR babygated to prevent temptation.
It WILL stop but how fast depends on how well you watch and prevent. Everytime he gets away with it he is set back again, so you need to be extremely diligent.
Barney was my worst, but after a couple of months he is now perfect!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 22 4:35 am

Small Dogs > Does anyone have a male dog who hikes his leg inside often?

Barney

Barked: Mon Jul 18, '11 3:17pm PST 
Barney was possibly an insecure marker. He came at 10 months from a kennel where he pretty much lived in a pen with his littermate OR was crated. He had been exposed to MANY females in heat yet was never allowed loose with them. In his beginning maturity, I do believe he was confused by this and when he came here and was suddenly part of a 10 dog "pack", he had MANY issues. He suddenly had lots of female dogs around (not fixed but not in heat, either), BUT there were also other males (all neutered, however.)
Barney would mark EVERYTHING in the house the entire time he was free, UNLESS he was persistantly humping the girls. Keeping him leashed wasn't helping... he would mark ME!
In Barney's case, neutering was magic!!! In less than a week, he was able to play nicely with all the dogs and didn't try to hump any of them. He also became more comfortable with the boys to the point where none of them were perceived as a challenge.
He was here for five months prior to my neutering him... he had gotten a bit better about being "nice" with the girls but was still marking everything he could and always either had his nose up someone OR was having a stand-off with one of the boys. I was pretty much having to keep him crated completely while he was in my house.
Now, he is 99% good in the house. He does occasionaly mark but it is always a toy or something one of the older males has been playing with. Interestingly enough, he will always look at me before he does it and if I catch the look and remind him nicely, usually only saying, "uh, nope!" he won't do it, but if I am in another room or not paying attention he will mark it. His favorite is a huge fleece soccar ball that, unfortunately, is also Toto's favorite, hence the problem.
I absolutely believe in Barney's case, neutering was the saving grace. I was unable to neuter him any earlier as he was being shown, but when he developed his KCS, showing was over. Prior to his being neutered I do have to admit I did not like him very much as his whole being was obsessed with trying to breed something, anything OR having to mark anywhere one of the boys had walked, but now I absolutely LOVE him and wouldn't part with him for anything!!! He is now obsessed with toys and playing and entertaining me!!!
I had to come back and edit this. In my 40 years with labs I NEVER had a male lab mark in my house, EVER, and I had many unneutered, breeding males living free in the house all the time. Somehow, it seems that the smallest dogs have the biggest issues with marking inside!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cuddles, Jul 20 4:41 am

Dog Health > Scratched eye, Crusty nose. Help?

Barney

Barked: Sat Jul 9, '11 6:10am PST 
Both my guys still do have some nasal discharge... not as much but I still have to pick crusties out every day.
If he's not rubbing then you can probably get by with something like cyclosporin daily and nothing else... Harvey was pretty good in the Wintertime so I only used it about once a week. He slept in my bed so I did put some human eye ointment most every night.
I would definitely try to get him seen by someone else and get some cyclosporin...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Jul 12 12:04 am

Dog Health > Scratched eye, Crusty nose. Help?
Barney

Barked: Sat Jul 9, '11 4:32am PST 
It sounds like he might have KCS in that eye. It is also called dry eye, and is a failure of the eye to produce enough tears. Both of my male Cresteds had one eye that produced NO tears, and both ultimately had the affected eye removed.
With KCS, the eye discharge is normally yellowish. The nose issue is because normally the tears drain into the nose but with not enough tears, there is a build up of mucus in the nose as well.
There is an easy test to determine if this is the problem... a small piece of test strip is held in the eye and it will measure the amount of tears in that eye.
Treatment consists of applying ointments or drops which increase the production of tears... we used cyclosporin, but there is another that begins with Trac... can't remember the name. We also used drops and ointments for human dry eye throughout the day.
It sounds like it is time to either find another vet or get him to an opthalmologist to get started on the correct drugs. Out of fairness to your vet, one of the vets in our practice insisted Barney had an eye infection and kept prescribing antibiotic drops which, of course, did nothing. Finally, I insisted on doing the dry eye test and he was positive.
Ulcers are a common occurance since the eye is painful and the dog keep rubbing it. Both Harvey and Barney had severe ulcers continuously so we opted to removed the eye. No more issues at all!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Jul 12 12:04 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.