Postings by Samson

GO!

(Page 1 of 295: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > I have another dog!
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 5:51pm PST 
Shelter thinks about a year old.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scruffy, Sep 20 7:38 pm

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Sep 20, '13 3:30pm PST 
Forgot, here's a larger image:

Delilah
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, Sep 20 7:38 pm

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Wed Sep 18, '13 3:58pm PST 
I got her from the shelter yesterday smile. Her name is "Delilah." Lab/Collie mix. I will try to get up pictures TM all I have is a really crappy cell phone picture of her inside her crate.

I didn't find out until I got home and she sat down on our light-colored wood porch that she is in heat...haha.

Oh boy.

Tore up a crate pan and some carpeting last night. This is going to be quite an adventure until I can get her spayed. Samson may be following her depending on how he behaves himself after her surgery. From what I see I think he will be okay but I'm not ruling anything out.

She is very noisy. Not only is she in heat she is used to having constant company - other dogs at the shelter, shelter workers, visitors, etc. Had to wear earplugs to sleep today, haha. She will adapt, dogs are very good at that smile.

I originally went to go look at a Dutch shepherd but she'd already been adopted out...Lilah's personality won me over though smile.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, Sep 20 7:38 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Changing dog "owner" to dog "gaurdian"

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 4:13am PST 
The semantics of it has never really bothered me. I've never really thought of myself as anything other than Samson's owner.

People calling me his dad/parent just sounds...weird to me.

Being his owner doesn't mean I value or cherish his life any less than I would a hypothetical child of mine. I love him and I treat him very well. But I still own him - just not in the same way I own my desk chair.

And the law already reflects this distinction. I can take a sledgehammer to my chair, burn it, throw it in the dumpster, etc. If I were to beat/mutilate/toss/etc my dog, I'd rightfully be in jail.

The "guardian" nonsense is legal path to removing the rights of pet owners to make decisions for their animals. It plays right into the hands of PETA's stated goal of eradicating domestic animals.

~

I don't think I could live without a dog. I don't know how I lived as long as I did without one. If mandatory neuter was nationwide, I'd just opt for the nutless dog. smile

I wouldn't like it, mind you, not one bit - but as far as the important traits of a dog go (loving, loyal, empathetic, etc) balls aren't really necessary :p.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 16 6:26 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Changing dog "owner" to dog "gaurdian"

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun May 12, '13 2:51am PST 
I OWN my dog and that simple legal definition allows me to make decisions for him that would otherwise be taken out of my hands. I don't want it any other way.

I can't be told how to train him, what to feed him, etc, etc, so on and so forth.

For those who think this is actually a good idea (and aren't the least bit suspicious as to why PETA/HSUS are on board with this), do yourself a favor and education yourself on the legal distinctions between "owner" and "guardian" and what the consequences of those differences are.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , May 16 6:26 am

Dog Health > Right age to Neuter?
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 10:41am PST 
Six months should really be an absolute bare minimum for a dog that size. I wouldn't even really be comfortable doing it that early. Maybe as early as nine, and that's a big stretch.

A year isn't a bad timeline, though. At that point most medium to large-sized dogs have finished the most of their growth (as far as their frame is concerned).

It's not going to necessarily hurt your dog to do it earlier, but as long as you have the vigilance and the ability to choose when your dog is neutered, later is better to reduce the likelihood certain potential health risks (we're still talking about very small increases).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Samson, Apr 16 10:41 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Which law applies to county jails?

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Thu Apr 11, '13 5:13am PST 
I used to work in a county jail as well. We have high/close security jail (not quite maximum security, but close), contact visits were never allowed for anyone, with the exception of legal counsel. I'm not sure what the jail commander would have decided in your situation - but we probably would have required you to show up during regular visitation hours.

If your county jail allows for contact visits, that's a whole 'nother ball game that I'm not at all familiar with.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 13 10:56 am

Dog Health > Very Dissapointed With My Local Vets :(

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 10:57am PST 
My e-vet just asks for verbal confirmation that I'm capable of paying. I've never been asked to pay up front, even the first time I went there, and I've never had immediate, urgent cases (like, dog bleeding out or passing in and out of consciousness, etc).

Regular vets in this area, however, leave something to be desired. I've finally found one that is okay, but they are really horrible about communication, and their prices are lower than most other vets in the area so they are constantly swamped, leading to assembly-line type practices. Not that they aren't good and don't do a good job, there's just not a lot of time even when I do schedule an appointment, to really talk things over. They just kind of rush you through.

Not much I can do about it. The other choices in the area...one I'm convinced is partially or entirely responsible for Samson's fear aggression issues, and the other was a self-absorbed jerk.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Chance, Mar 20 12:29 pm

Behavior & Training > Neuter now or wait.

Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Wed Mar 20, '13 10:52am PST 
"Unless directly exposed to a stimulus like a female in heat, mating doesn't ever seem to be on their minds."

And in the case of mine, it doesn't even seem to be on his mind WHEN he is exposed to said stimulus.

Mind you, I'm sure he'd figure something out if I locked him in a room with an in-heat female and left them alone for awhile, but he's had a couple instances where he was on supervised meet & greets, and didn't seem to react differently or show any more interest than he does with any dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Tyler , Mar 28 11:17 am

Dog Health > Urinating in House
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 3:21pm PST 
It's possible it did clear it up, I don't know. He had it for an ear infection and it seems to be cleared up for good this time around. But antibiotics wreck good AND bad bacteria, so, it's possible his GI and/or urinary tracts are messed up from that.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lily, Jan 29 9:08 pm

(Page 1 of 295: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.