Postings by Esky

GO!

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

Choosing the Right Dog > 'Alternative Sled Dogs'
Esky

Epicus Zoomicus- Metallicus

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '12 2:53am PST 
Lilith I agree with you. I've joined up to a Chinook and a Tamaskan forum. I've been really put off tams after doing some reading. Don't really want to spend several grand to bring in a dog that may not suit.

Chinooks are the dog of choice at the moment- if I can save enough and find a breeder happy to ship one off to a far away land. big grin

Yep we've got plenty of Lapphunds here. 3 great litters around the country and another from imported semen- that one is very exciting! I was very very close to owning one of those. I was offered one by a breeder a few times, but since getting into racing they're just a little too small. LOL did you know we also have Klee Kai's here?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 28 6:11 pm

Esky

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 5:44pm PST 
Doubt you could get a vallhund in Oz. Which is a pity. frown It would have been perfect. I wish we had Tamaskans here too.

Valls aresn't as uncommon as you'd think- I know a couple of breeders here smile
Tamaskans are on the way- in the next year or so there will be one in vic and on in WA

Plenty to think about- again thank you guys. I know there are a lot of breeds that could work for us, I'm thinking I'm better off with either a sledding breed or one previously used for carting smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 28 6:11 pm

Esky

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 2:29am PST 
I have seen pictures of poodles doing it. aren't they such amazing and versatile dogs smile

Koda-
Chinooks are one of the breeds I am really really keen on, but I haven't found any owners to talk to about them yet. I'm considering sending a few emails out to breeders. But I might need to save up a little bit more money red face

[i]Were you dead set on a purebred? Maybe you can go to a few shelters and search around for a high energy MUTT![/i]
Not really interested in a mutt at the moment. My other half isn't keen on 'taking on someone elses problems' not my words. I want to start out fresh with a pup and mould it into what I want- as our council areas only allow 2 dogs with out an extra permit my next dog will likely be my last for a long time big grin

[i}But I'm not sure when the height of the season takes place in Australia, maybe their winter?[/i]
Yes we normally run from about may to september- our winter. Our rules don't let us run dogs when it's hotter than 15 degrees ( 59 in your degrees) and tracks sometimes get reduced if it's over 12 degrees
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 28 6:11 pm

Esky

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 12:49pm PST 
Yeah unfortunately Australia is very unfriendly towards pit bulls frown I'm not game to own any bull breeds because of some of the stupid new laws some parts of this country have put into place.

Someone also suggest to me a bouvier des flanders for sledding, what do you guys think of that breed?

We only have a handful here, none in my state
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 28 6:11 pm

Esky

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 7:23pm PST 
Drool
That dog looks like it could work!

For the record 4 km = 2.48548 mi.
1 kilometre = 0.621371192 miles
Messy math laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 28 6:11 pm

Esky

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 6:12pm PST 
I assume a rottie would work at a slower steadier pace than my husky, so I guess if we got one I would have to get my boyfriend involved in the sport too way to go

Any healthy medium sized breed is able to compete here in Australia happy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 28 6:11 pm

Esky

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 5:48pm PST 
Do you want a dog with the functionality of a sled dog, or the look of a sled dog?

Functionality wink

And thanks for everyone's ideas so far. In Australia endurance doesn't really come into it. The races I'll be in this year with Esky are 4km max and the two dog class doesn't go much further (if I were to run both dogs together)

Huskies and Mals are out- but the Samoyed is a maybe ( I had my OH sold on the personality of the Finnish Lapphund, and the Samoyed is very similar in that regard)
Rotties are the other breed that have been put on the maybe list- OH loves them but I have my concerns

The other breeds I'm interested in aren't in Australia currently and these include the Tamaskan and the Chinook
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 28 6:11 pm

Food & Nutrition > wellness or organix??

Esky

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 11:57pm PST 
Is your pups breeder providing you with info on what the pups are being fed.
I'd keep my pup on that for a while and if I wasn't happy with the breeders choice I'd gradually change the puppy over
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Lizzie, Jan 4 8:02 am

Esky

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 11:48pm PST 
I would eventually like to add another dog to our family pack.
We are a young couple with 1 cat and Esky the Siberian Husky.

What I/ we want:
A dog that I can sled* with. Has to be at least medium sized but not deerhound sized. laugh out loud
A dog that wants to be with it's people.
A dog that can be 'loyal' and 'trustworthy'
I want one that is energetic and able to run- i know this varies even in the same breed-

OH has said no to any more huskies (or malamutes)
This is what he doesn't like about huskies
*direct quote*

"Quote
Cheekiness knows no bounds
independant nature doesn't suit companion animals"

For the record I still love the breed, but want an animal that would make the whole family happy. I've been looking at a few breeds but since they aren't found in Australia yet I'll need to know a lot more before the decision is made to import.

Anyone got some ideas of breeds that might suit us that I could researchshrug

*When I say sled I'm referring to dryland sled racing- which is how we race dogs here in Australia. The dogs here only get one weekend a year that they are allowed to run on real snow .
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jan 28 6:11 pm

Chinook > Any Chinook owners around?
Esky

Barked: Fri Oct 7, '11 4:03am PST 
I'd love to hear some stories about what this breed is like to live with! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Delta, Jun 27 11:47 am

(Page 1 of 19: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.