GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Behavior & Training > Little dog biting
Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Tue Apr 19, '11 5:45am PST 
Hi!

Penny is 17 months old, and for the most part a very well behaved dog. But DH and I have made some mistakes in training her.

She never has accidents, she rarely barks, she is good with other dogs and is generally a big cuddle bug. One thing we have not been consistent enough with is getting her to stop biting.

She never bites to be mean, and she never bites hard. It is more mouthing when she is excited and wants to play. She is only 9 lbs, but she can jump very high, and sometimes she likes to jump and nip our waist or hands if she wants to get our attention to play. Also, DH plays a game where he chases her around the house and she will run away and run back to him and nip at his hands when he tries to catch her.

Again, she has never even come close to drawing blood and doesn't even scratch us. And honestly we don't mind that much, cause it doesn't hurt. But we are having a baby in July and I am worried that this behavior will scare the baby or she will inadvertently nip his head or something. So we would like to try to stop it now.

Penny doesn't really like to eat that much, so rewarding her with treats is difficult.

Any tips?

TIA!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 19 6:06 am

Food & Nutrition > Opinions/reviews on Honest Kitchen?
Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Sat May 22, '10 11:46am PST 
Penny has been on Innova puppy canned/kibble since day 1. Recently, like in the past month, she's had some episodes of loose stools and has vomitted a few times. I don't know that it's really the food or something else (like stealing pieces of salad off the floor, etc.) but with the whole P&G buyout going on, we were looking for something else anyway.

A new pet food store just opened up down the street from us so we went over there to check it out and came home with a few Honest Kitchen samples. We had been interested in this since Penny has never really been an enthusiastic kibble eater, and I thought she might like the soupy texture.

Looks like I was right since she just polished off the first half of a sample bag I gave her!

Is there anyone here who feeds exclusively HK? I did a search and it's most often mentioned as an adjunct to homecooked or raw. If so, which formula do you feed and which do you recommend for a 6 month old small breed puppy? I know that Thrive and Embark are all life stages, but the pet store owner thought that even Force (grain-free) would be ok for a puppy even though it says adult on the label.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , May 27 10:47 am

Food & Nutrition > So excited!!!

Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Fri May 21, '10 1:25pm PST 
I just discovered a brand new pet store literally two blocks from my house.

They open tomorrow, but from looking in the window, they carry Innova, Fromm, Orijen, Acana, Honest Kitchen, and probably more foods that I couldn't see from the window!

We were having to order Penny's Innova online since the closest store that carried it was stupid Petland. So happy that we'll have it conveniently available plus so many other good choices. And no gas to get there and the chance to support a local business! Woohoo!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sedona, May 21 3:04 pm

Food & Nutrition > Should I change foods?

Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Sun May 16, '10 2:31pm PST 
Penny has been on Innova puppy (kibble and canned) since we first got her at 9 weeks old. After a few days of adjustment, she was doing great on it. Until the last few weeks.

In the last 2-3 weeks, she's started having an occasional soft stool. Not every stool, but maybe once a day or every 2 days it will be pretty soft. Also, there have been two times that I've found vomit in her crate in the morning.

She's otherwise healthy and growing well. She's a picky eater so she'll preferntially eat the canned and then come back later for the kibble when she's hungry enough.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Delaney, May 17 10:19 am

Puppy Place > Barriers...gates/pens/etc

Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Sun May 16, '10 2:27pm PST 
We still keep Penny confined when we are out...she recently got out because she jumped over her 36-inch tall gate!!! She doesn't seem to get into stuff too badly...she'll carry socks around and shred tissues but nothing crazy. But she does have accidents because when she escapes her area, she doesn't have access to her potty anymore.

I think we'll keep her confined indefinitely. I just have better peace of mind that way.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , May 18 9:01 am

Puppy Place > How far can puppy walk?
Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Sun May 16, '10 1:27pm PST 
My husband and I are going on a trip in a few weeks....we'll be going hiking some days. Not hardcore, just 5-6 miles/day on dirt paths that are pretty flat.

Penny's daily walks are usually about 2-2.5 miles in a hilly park. She seems to do fine with that. Do you think she could handle these hikes? We would bring water for her of course and we'll be taking breaks for sightseeing.

It's not a huge deal if she doesn't come because there will be other family members there to keep her company, but if she would like it we would have fun with her there!

If we do take her, what would be some signs of fatigue to look out for? We can always pick her up and carry her if necessary.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lucky (RIP 1/23/10- 2/1/14), May 16 6:09 pm

Dog Health > Milky/cloudy pupil

Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Wed May 12, '10 4:17pm PST 
OK, so you can't really have a cloudy pupil per se, because a pupil is just a hole formed by the iris (colored part of the eye). It is probably a cataract - a clouding of the lens of the eye, which sits just behind the iris/pupil. It can be caused by trauma (at least in humans), though I don't know what kind of eye injury your pup had.

-Penny's mom (human eye surgeon)
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Porter CL1-R CL1-F, Feb 15 7:45 am

Puppy Place > Was I in the wrong?

Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Sun Apr 18, '10 7:20pm PST 
I feel bad for the kid. It would suck to have a mean daddy.
[notify]
» There has since been 47 posts. Last posting by ♥ DarlaMae ♥, Apr 21 3:23 pm

Food & Nutrition > how much does your small breed dog eat?

Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Sun Apr 18, '10 7:14pm PST 
We feed Penny 1/4 cup at a time. Sometimes she finishes it, most of the time she doesn't. If she doesn't, then it gets left out until she does (I know, supposed to take it up, but I'm a softie on this one). Most of the time she'll finish it by the end of the day. She's gaining weight (almost 7 lbs now) so I'm pretty sure she's getting enough. I can feel her ribs easily, but she doesn't feel bony. If she was hungry, she'd eat more.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Yeager, Apr 18 11:28 pm

Puppy Place > Needing support
Penny

Super-dawg!

Barked: Sun Apr 18, '10 7:09pm PST 
Oh dear, Penny is 5 months on the 27th...and she has just realized in the past week where we want her to potty. And right now she is digging through a pile of laundry on the couch (which she jumped up on herself), looking for socks to steal and take to her bed.......!!! Oh, such fun games that can be had with a pile of laundry!

At the very least, you're not alone. And most likely, you're ahead of the game.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Sallie Mae, Apr 19 10:30 pm

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.