GO!

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

Choosing the Right Dog > Would a Chinese Crested be a good match for child?
Harvey

Design jewelry,- not dogs!

Barked: Tue Oct 15, '13 4:52am PST 
Thanks, Addy!!! Addy is an expert on Cresteds, I have learned MUCH from her in dealing with my three!!!!
And, one of my boys, Harvey, only has blackheads in the Spring after wearing clothing all Winter. Barney, on the other hand, DOES have nasty skin and it is an ongoing project.
Check out their photo albums, you will see how great they can be!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Sheeba, Oct 20 12:29 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Would a Chinese Crested be a good match for child?
Harvey

Barked: Mon Oct 14, '13 6:01pm PST 
I have three cresteds and fragile they aren't!!!! But, there are very few true hairless ones. My two hairless ones require more grooming than my powder puff, and my boys really have very little hair. They also suffer from almost constant skin issues with blackheads and pimples which need to be dealt with on a weekly basis with special (read EXPENSIVE), shampoos and lotion treatments.
Grooming aside, the hairless ones really do have major health issues. The gene that creates the hairless ness also works on their teeth, believe it or not!, one of my boys has only about ten teeth, no canines, and they are misshapen and fracture easily. His brother has lots of teeth, but they are crowded and I am always having to floss them to get stuck stuff out from between them.
They also both have serious eye issues and Harvey had to have his hip amputated due to an hereditary disease. Sadly, in spite of their health issues they ARE from health tested parents.
Being hairless, here in the Northeast, clothing is not a luxury, it is required even when inside during Winter. Of course, these jackets and pajamas lead to even more skin issues.
However...when all is said and done, I do not think I will ever be without at least one crested. They are cute and funny and entertaining. They are also independent and you do not train them, they train you!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Sheeba, Oct 20 12:29 pm

Dog Health > Therapy after Femoral Head Ostectomy

Harvey

Barked: Thu Oct 10, '13 11:41am PST 
Harvey had a FHO for LCPD when he was 7 months old. I asked my vet, his advice was the dog knew best when and what to do. We kept him on pain meds for 8 weeks and after the first week he started walking so when his sutures were removed I asked again about physical therapy. Again he said the best thing WAS exercise and the best way was to have him run up and down hills. He said it was very difficult to damage the area and he would limit himself from over exercising by pain and weakness. He said if he would follow my other dogs that would be best.
He did and he was also into retrieving a toy that I would throw down the hill in my back yard. Now he doesn't even have ANY limp at all. Without the scar (he's hairless so it shows!!) you could never tell anything was done to his leg.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 16 9:12 am

Dog Health > BLIND RESCUE MUTT - Deciding on eye removal

Harvey

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 3:53pm PST 
My two cresteds both had dry eye which resulted in almost constant ulcers and constant drops every three to four hours. They were in pain most of the time and they ran when they saw me with anything remotely resembling eye meds.
I chose enucleation after MUCH discussion with my vet and after having it done, I only wish I had done it much, much sooner!!!
Admittedly, they both have a good eye, so it is a little different, but never again would I hesitate to go with the removal.
I also own a Frenchie who ended up having both eyes removed due to complications from cataracts. She is MUCH happier as well, and there is no more pain ever from her eyes. Her vision was poor, but she still had some, but has never acted as though she missed not seeing.
And, yes, she still turns her head and looks at us when we speak to her. We KNOW she can't see as she has no eyes!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Oct 10 5:38 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Ideal breed? Relatively quiet, medium-to-low energy, small-to-medium size, highly trainable.

Harvey

Barked: Wed Sep 11, '13 11:02am PST 
Chinese Crested!!! We LOVE the heat, are quite calm and quiet inside but will go as long as you like outside with you. Minor grooming, basically just to tidy us up. We love kids if exposed to them correctly, and do not need a huge yard.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Rusty, Sep 16 9:19 am

What I Love About Dogster > Dogster Magazine **Is It Wrong That I'm Obsessed with One-Eyed Dogs?**
Harvey

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 10:21pm PST 
Wow, I must REALLY be obsessed...I own THREE one-eyed dogs!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 15 2:20 pm

Behavior & Training > Too humid to go out?

Harvey

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 7:47am PST 
Addy, my cresties are in heaven with it!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nicky, Jul 11 8:55 am

Sports & Agility > One HIP Wonder=Agility

Harvey

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 5:39pm PST 
Actually, FHO's are all too common in smaller breeds and other dogs due to other diseases such as Legges Calf Perth Disease and Aseptic necrosis, as well as injury resulting in fractures of the femur head.
Harvey had LCPD, which is an interruption of the blood supply, most likely in the womb, which results in the death of the femur head. It crumbles and collapses and causes extreme pain in affected dogs while they are still puppies and the only cure is a FHO.
Aseptic necrosis is also an interruption of the blood supply to the femur head but is the result of some sort of inflammatory process and can occur at any age. It can and does affect ANY breed, large or small.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Addie CL1 CL2 CL3 NAJ, Jul 4 9:08 pm

Sports & Agility > One HIP Wonder=Agility

Harvey

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 4:24am PST 
We don't compete, but Mom calls me High Flyin' Harvey!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Addie CL1 CL2 CL3 NAJ, Jul 4 9:08 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > An Assignment for You Guys for My Article!
Harvey

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 9:21am PST 
That makes her even more dangerous!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 31 10:01 am

(Page 1 of 17: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.