Postings by Guest ID 977595

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Dog Health > Is hypothyroidism a disabilty?

Barked: Wed Jun 30, '10 12:05pm PST 
shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Jul 1 1:38 am

Puppy Place > Puppy Check-List

Barked: Tue Jun 22, '10 10:32am PST 
I might be adopting a Beagle/Siberian Husky mix named Dayzee today. Is this all I need?

Small Collar
Small Leash
Bed
Two Bowls
Stain & Odor Remover
ID Tag
Kenne l
Authority Puppy Food
Brush
Chewing Bones
KONG Goodie Bone
Mini Floppy Barbell Toy
Puppy KONG
Plush Toy
Crazy Ball
Chewi ng Stick
Nylab ones
Puppy Drumstick Treats
Wholesome Bites
Training Treats
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lisa, Jun 22 3:04 pm

Food & Nutrition > Blue Buffalo vs. Nutro Ultra

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 1:23pm PST 
Thanks for all of the responses. I guess I'll go with BB-- I had no idea that Nutro was not healthy. I mean, I suspecting that it was a healthy food.. but I guess not! I'll go with BB. Thanks!!
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by , Mar 31 4:20 am

Behavior & Training > I just adopted a dog that I can hardly handle! Help!!

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 1:21pm PST 
Okay, so yesterday I adopted a dog from an animal rescue. I was so happy to bring her in to a forever home. She is guessed to be some type of Samoyed mixed with a smaller dog and weighs 29.6 pounds and about 2-3 years old. I named her Yasima. For the first few hours, it was a mess. I brought her in to my house at first on a leash so she could sniff and get used to everything. As I walked in, she darted in to the house and tried to run everywhere. I lost grip of the leash and she sprinted around the house, dragging everything off of shelves and tables. I eventually caught her. She tried to bite me, but I picked her up and put her in the laundry room. She had just lost her mind out of no where. I then cleaned up the mess, while the whole time, Yasima was barking and chasing her tail in the laundry room. She began to scratch at the door, so I took her outside in the back. The fence was not finished yet, so I couldn't let her off leash. I had to hold the leash as tight as I could, because she wouldn't stop yanking and pulling. She was trying to chase every bird and leaf in sight. Every time a car went by, she howled and barked loudly, trying to chase it. I figured all of this behavior was from her previous home. She used to be minorly abused. I knew I had to go to the petstore to get her a crate or something to keep her cofined. I put her in the laundry room and went to go buy her supplies. I got Blue Buffalo dog food, a bed, strong crate, baby gate, toys, a better leash and strong collar. I went home and found that Yasima had ruined my laundry room door. It was completely destroyed with bite and scratch marks. She happily barked and flew around the house again. I grabbed her and just sat there with her. I couldn't do anything with her. I put her back on the leash in the house and managed to set up the crate with her pulling everywhere. I put her in the crate so she could calm down. Yasima just went nuts in the crate, though. She jumped everywhere, spun in circles, and clawed at the door. I cleaned up the mess yet again, then set up the baby gate in the laundry. I made sure everything was picked up in the laundry room. I cleaned the counters and picked up everything on the floors, including the rugs. I made sure I had put the shoes away and the coats and jackets were safely in the closet. I got Yasima out of her crate and she tried to pull again, as usual. I put her in the laundry room. I put the crate in there with the door open, too. I also put her bed in there. For about an hour and a half, she sat and whined, ocasionally howling and barking loudly. I went to the petstore again because I knew that I had to get some better things. I signed up for training classes and bought Yasima a harness. When I got home, she was chewing on the baby gate. She managed to get some pretty deep teeth marks in the gate, but luckily didn't chew through it. I got some treats out and showed them to her. She seemed pretty interested, so I slowly brought her out from the laundry room. Too late. She became uninterested in the treats and darted upstairs. I ran after her. She was flying in and out of rooms with something in her mouth. I grabbed her and tried to get whatever was in her mouth out. I saw that it was a big wad of socks. I pryed it out of her mouth and had no choice but to put her back in the laundry room. I tried training her in the laundry room, but she wouldn't pay attention. She kept snapping at my clothes and jumping all over me. I finally just gave up for the day and went to go take a break. I had not expected my new dog to act like this.

This morning, I got her back out of the laundry room on the leash and harness this time. She didn't respond to me when I told her to heel. I tried to take her outside, and I did manage to get her to do her buisness after about 25 minutes. I brought her back in the house where she behaved like she normally did on a leash. I kept on trying to get her to heel, but she just wasn't interested in treats or anything. I put her back in the laundry room with the gate and this time, I got her to stop snapping and jumping. I almost taught her to sit, too. We've been working on the sit command a lot, but she doesn't respond to you unless you have a really tasty treat. I feel horrible; I don't want her life to be in the laundry room. She should be having fun, playing and just being a dog. I don't want her in the laundry room and I am terrified for training classes next week. I am afraid she is going to do horrible.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am beginning to lose my mind. She tried jumping over the baby gate today and did it sucsessfully before. I am planning on getting a stronger gate, considering that she had jumped over it and has been trying to chew through it. I don't know what to do. I had totally not wanted Yasima to be like this. I can't control her. Please help me!!
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Torie, Jun 21 11:10 pm

Food & Nutrition > Blue Buffalo vs. Nutro Ultra

Barked: Fri Jun 18, '10 10:36am PST 
I have a recently been thinking about switching dog foods for my 5 year old Siberian Husky/Labrador Retriever mix named Sasha. She is currently eating Purina Pro Plan. She came home eating Royal Canin, but I switched her to Pro Plan. I had found out how unhealthy Purina is for dogs so now I am going to switch. I have narrowed it down to two choice: Nutro Ultra for adults and Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken Formula.

Here are the indgredients in the Nutro food:
Chicken Meal, Whole Brown Rice, Ground Rice, Rice Bran, Chicken, Lamb Meal, Salmon Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Oatmeal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Potassium Chloride, Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Dried Pomegranate, Dried Blueberry, Dried Avocado, Dried Cranberry, Dried Pumpkin, Dried Spinach, Dried Carrot, Salt, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Carnitine, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Sodium Selenite, Beta Carotene, Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement.

And here are the indgredients in Blue Buffalo:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Turkey Meal, Peas, Chicken Fat (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Potatoes, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed (natural source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Alfalfa Meal, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecium.

Which do you think seems like a better quality food? I would like to choose one of these foods. I would appreciate your help. Thanks so much.
[notify]
» There has since been 45 posts. Last posting by , Mar 31 4:20 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Should I adopt a deaf dog that I found?

Barked: Tue Jun 15, '10 11:59am PST 
I recentley found a dog on the street, and I took him to the veternarian so he could get looked at. He got neutared and got all of his vaccines and was ready for adoption. I wanted to adopt him, but the veternarian just called and reported that he was deaf. They were trying to call him, but he wasn't responding to anything. They clapped behind his head, but he didn't even move a muscle. I really would like this dog. He is guessed to be a German Shepherd/Labrador Retriever/Australian Shepherd mix. They named him Cookey. I just love Cookey and I feel that it is right to adopt him because I find him. The only problem is, I don't know anything about deaf dogs, how to train them, and how to live with them. Help please?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Mojo, Jun 15 1:04 pm

Dog Health > Should I adopt a deaf dog?

Barked: Tue Jun 15, '10 11:57am PST 
I recentley found a dog on the street, and I took him to the veternarian so he could get looked at. He got neutared and got all of his vaccines and was ready for adoption. I wanted to adopt him, but the veternarian just called and reported that he was deaf. They were trying to call him, but he wasn't responding to anything. They clapped behind his head, but he didn't even move a muscle. I really would like this dog. He is guessed to be a German Shepherd/Labrador Retriever/Australian Shepherd mix. They named him Cookey. I just love Cookey and I feel that it is right to adopt him because I find him. The only problem is, I don't know anything about deaf dogs, how to train them, and how to live with them. Help please?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mojo, Jun 15 12:15 pm

Dog Health > Which one of these is the best bed for a dog for arthrits?

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 11:36am PST 
Thank you for the responses! I will totally be looking for West Paw beds. Bandit has hip and leg arthritis frown I know a great bed will help him, though. The medicine seems to be working a little bit and I am also taking him to hyrdotherapy weekly. All of this will hopefully work out in the end. Thanks again for the reccomendations! I am visiting PetSmart soon.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dana Meniz, Jun 9 11:50 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Which one should I get?

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 11:30am PST 
I live on a farm with 32 acres and already have four dogs. I have plenty of room to get another one, so I am looking in to getting another dog. I currently have Bandit an 8 year old Labrador/Husky, Bear an 8 week old Golden Retriever, Angel a 5 year old Border Collie and Breeze a 3 year old German Shepherd/Rottweiler. We also have three cats. Moon a 6 year old Maine Coon, Speed a 9 year old Bengal and Sky a 2 year old Birman. All of the dogs and cats are very friendly and love all kinds of animals. They get along with everyone.

On Saturday and Sunday, I walk the dogs one mile. Monday-Friday, I can walk them for about 15 minutes through the woods.They can run freely in the yard, however. It is completely fenced in, so I do not have to worry about them escaping. All of the dogs are almost always home with someone, get fed twice a day and get playtime at least three to four times a week in the backyard. I take them to the lake a few times a month, too. I love bigger dogs that are active, friendly, happy and somewhat intelligent. It would not matter if it was a male or female. There are kids in the house. Grooming does not matter to me. I brush the dogs weekly, and if the new dog does need to be brushed more often, it's not a problem. I have many considerations, but I need the perfect breed match. Let me know what you think about these breeds and which one would suit my family the best. Here are my thoughts:

Collie
Irish Setter
Kuvasz
Old English Sheepdog
Newfoundland
Belgian Sheepdog
Borzoi
Maremma
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Labrador Retriever
Icelandic Sheepdog
Dalmatian
Bernese Mountain Dog
Coonhound
Eurasier
Samoyed
Vizsla
Black Mouth Cur
Large Munsterlander
McNab
Australian Cattle Dog
Finnish Spitz
German Shepherd
Siberian Husky
English Shepherd
Australian Shepherd
Canaan Dog

I have so many dogs that I would want, I just don't know what to get. I look on Petfinder, search rescues, look for great breeders and try my best to find a great dog for my family. Any mixed breed or hybrid dog would be great, too. So, over all, which of these dog breeds do you like or think is a wonderful dog that fit my description? I know there are so many dogs out there waiting for a home, but I just want a few ideas first. Please help me make a choice. Thanks so much and thanks for reading, too.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kris, Jun 25 1:37 pm

Food & Nutrition > HELP! I don't know what food to feed my dog!!

Barked: Wed Jun 9, '10 10:55am PST 
I recentley found out how bad Iams was for dogs, so I am planning on switching dog food.

My 8 year old Lab/husky mix was diagnosed with arthritis last week so I need to find a good food.

Does this sound okay?
http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&p id=61

Or would this be better?
http://www.bluebuff.com/products/dogs/lp-senior-chick.shtml

Or this?
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/?product=6&code=160

I don't know what food I should do. Any reccomenedations would be great. Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sam, Jun 9 9:21 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.