Postings by Guest ID 1165725

GO!

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Returned an adopted rescued doxie and regretting it. Should I try to get her back?

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 9:04pm PST 
THANK YOU so much to everyone for your response. This has helped me A LOT. Its true that we didn't really know what we were getting into adopting a rescued shelter dog. My partner knew most about dogs but she's always raised them from puppies so it's much different. I agree that people should be more informed going into these decisions but what I've learned is that rescue operations are often extremely short staffed and working on extremely limited resources so I imagine they sometimes can't cover all bases. I walked into this with every intention of making it work so perhaps this outcome wasn't easy to anticipate. Regardless, your responses have me feel much better about at least making the effort instead of feeling like a total failure. Next time (if) we try I will definitely do my research. Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Apr 21 8:15 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Returned an adopted rescued doxie and regretting it. Should I try to get her back?

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 12:54am PST 
Hello - I have no prior experience with dogs and would really appreciate any help you can provide. My entire life I have had a phobia for dogs. When I was a kid I could not be near a dog without almost crying of fear. However now as an adult I try to use reason and logic to help me get through my fear and now I can be around dogs as long as the owner provides some guarantee that the dog will not attack or bite me. My current partner is a dog lover and has had dogs her entire life. This past weekend we decided to adopt a rescued doxie. My partner immediately bonded with the dog and I did my best to pet the dog, feed it, walk it, etc to also form a bond. However, within 72 horus of having the dog in our home she barked and growled at me four times. My partner works from home and spent a lot of time with the dog. She also knows how to handle and cuddle dogs, so clearly the dog loved her. However, I work outside the home and the first day I came home with the dog there she barked at me. I tried to show the dog that I am part of the home and that I also take care of her. That evening I walked and fed her. However later in the night she jumped out of her bed at me barking, which triggered my phobia and I screamed and jumped back. I received some advice from a trainer and tried to follow it however, she growled at me again the next night. My partner and I decided to return the dog today, after just under three days with her. Even though I was scared of the dog when she barked at me I felt that I really started feeling as if the dog was mine in the sense that I was constantly worried if she was ok, too cold, hungry, needed to pee/poop, etc. I set up some training classes but we were worried she would bite me before we could get any training in. When we walked her she would snap quickly at anyone approaching her so we didn't put it past her that she might bite me. My partner was perplexed because she thinks that after having me home for several hours she should not jump, bark or growl at me. When we dropped the dog off at her foster home I cried like a baby. I feel very guilty about giving her back and so does my partner. Any advice you might have would be much appreciated. Thank you
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Apr 21 8:15 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.