Postings by Guest ID 1155510

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > Raw Diet...is this a good idea???
Mountain

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 1:43am PST 
Have you looked at, bought from, heard of Ranch Foods Direct? I found them online and contacted then to see how much they cost for the meat. How much of this recipe do you make up at a single time? I'm thinking about buying enough to do 2-4 weeks worth at a time a freezing them.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Presley Dillon, Feb 19 7:12 pm

Mountain

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 12:33am PST 
Awesome info!!! Thank you so much. I'm getting alot of conflicting information so I was confused and rethinking everything. You gave me everything that I needed to stay hopeful. I'll definitely try that out.

Yea, I'm in springs. I'll have to check out Walmart and call Andy's. Do you know of any wholesale places locally? Are you in springs?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Presley Dillon, Feb 19 7:12 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > New to Raw Dog Food/Home Prepared Food Need Help

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 2:27pm PST 
@Maxwell

After doing some research last night I think I have found a diet that I like and will start out with after making some tweaks.

10 lbs. of ground Chicken and Bone (Neck, thighs, breast, drums, whatever you can get cheapest)
3 lbs. of Carrots
1.5 lbs. of Wheat bran
1 c. of Extra virgin olive oil
For puppies just add unflavored Jell-O cooked oatmeal or rice.

Now she is on a grain-free, gluten-free diet due to her yeast allergy so I know I'm going to have to take out the wheat bran, oatmeal, and rice but what do I/can I replace it with?

I've found a wholesaler online that I can get 40 lbs of chicken necks and 5 lbs of chicken livers for just under $40 + shipping. So I'm thinking of changing that 10 lbs. into a mixture of the necks and livers. I also plan on eventually adding in some beef later down the line to this mix. I'm also going to be giving a probiotic (not sure which one yet? any ideas?), salmon oil, coconut oil, and maybe change the veggies to a fruit/veggie mix.

I know that some people don't think this is the best way, but with me just getting my feet wet I believe this is something that I can start with and then make changes along the way. I don't have the time, money, or freezer space to do PMR and this looked like the next best thing. I got it from a Veterinarian and English Bulldog breeder so I'd like to think it was okay health wise since he's been doing it for 5 years per the website.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 2:27 pm

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 11:17am PST 
I figured I would eventually work in kind of a combination of the ground chicken necks/liver with some type of beef. I'm pretty happy with the meat part of the diet but know it needs more nutritional parts. I really don't know if there is anything that I could do to replace the wheat bran. Eggs?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Presley Dillon, Feb 19 7:12 pm

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:48am PST 
Onyx, Thanks for your response. I've looked at PMR, but I have concerns with her eating the bigger portions of meat, whole bones, and would feel more comfortable and "in control" if I ground up the meat and bone. I'm new to this whole raw food deal so if you know a way that I could do the PMR and do something like the ground meat/bone part then I'd be all ears. I'd like to get my meat costs to around $25-30. Another problem with the PMR is that I only have about 1/4 of a freezer to store any food. Thanks for your help.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Presley Dillon, Feb 19 7:12 pm

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:28am PST 
I looked at a bunch of the premade stuff and it was just too expensive for what I'd have to feed her. With this plan I will be spending roughly around $50/month on meat which I'm ok with. I was wrong about the wholesaler. Its not local so I have to pay shipping which is why my total is at $50 instead of the $35 range. I'm going to keep looking for stuff locally to cut down price.

My main thing was I didn't know if I needed to add/take away anything from my "tentative" diet plan to make it a healthy raw diet.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Presley Dillon, Feb 19 7:12 pm

Barked: Sun Feb 17, '13 10:11am PST 
So I've been looking at an easy yet nutritious raw meal for my English Bulldog and I think I've found one.

10 lbs. of ground Chicken and Bone (Neck, thighs, breast, drums, whatever you can get cheapest)
3 lbs. of Carrots
1.5 lbs. of Wheat bran
1 c. of Extra virgin olive oil
For puppies just add unflavored Jell-O cooked oatmeal or rice.

Couple of questions on this one though for you experienced feeders.
1. My dog is grain-free and gluten-free due to a yeast allergy. What can I substitute with the wheat bran to get the nutrients? (I'm also open to any other tweaks you might have to the recipe...this just looks like a good starting point for my adventure!)
2. I have found a place locally where I can get 40 lbs of chicken necks for $27.00 and 5 lbs of chicken liver for $10. I was thinking of doing a split somehow between those two so she is getting everything. Good idea or not? I'm planning on making up a couple weeks to a months worth of food at a time. I'm looking at meat grinders now.
3. Is there anything that is blatantly missing from this that I need to add? I'm going to give probiotics, salmon oil, coconut oil, and possibly some fruits periodically through the meals. I'm trying to not make "rookie mistakes" and give my baby the best meal possible.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Presley Dillon, Feb 19 7:12 pm

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:48pm PST 
Thanks Maxwell, you just verified what I was kind of thinking of in my head of doing, but I wanted to hear it from someone that has done this for some time. I love the trainer that my dog is at right now, but they have access to butchers and meat processors that I don't have access to so it limits what I can feed. I just didn't want to make a change in the diet and it be nutritionally deficient.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 17 2:27 pm

Olde English Bulldogge > Need help with special diet for OEB Service Dog

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 5:54pm PST 
I am going to be getting my English Bulldog service dog in about a month and the trainer says that she has a yeast allergy that has caused some skin infections and that she would need to be on a grain-free, gluten-free diet. She currently feeds her a raw diet, but some of the meats that she gets I don't think I will be able to get (rabbit, deer, lamb, etc.). http://www.examiner.com/article/holistic-feeding-menu

I have done a lot of reading on dogster, books, other websites about the raw diet, paleopet diet (http://www.paleopet.com/), home prepared, and other versions. I want to go with a healthier diet for her than commercial dog food, but don't also want to be spending a fortune. I have a little bit of freezer space to do up meals in advance but can't get too crazy. Would a diet of ground beef, bones, and organs be a better option than the prey animal diet. I just want what is best for my dog.

I have contacted a co-op in my town (Colorado Springs) to see what they have to offer, but wanted to see what advice everyone had on here. I don't want to have too much going on with her food, but still want it to be balanced long-term.

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 16 5:54 pm

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 5:21pm PST 
I am going to be getting my English Bulldog service dog in about a month and the trainer says that she has a yeast allergy that has caused some skin infections and that she would need to be on a grain-free, gluten-free diet. She currently feeds her a raw diet, but some of the meats that she gets I don't think I will be able to get (rabbit, deer, lamb, etc.). http://www.examiner.com/article/holistic-feeding-menu

I have done a lot of reading on this forum, books, other websites about the raw diet, paleopet diet (http://www.paleopet.com/), home prepared diet, and other versions. I want to go with a healthier diet for her than commercial dog food, but don't also want to be spending a fortune. I have a little bit of freezer space to do up meals in advance but can't get too crazy. What would be the best option for her since she needs a grain-free, gluten-free diet? I really need a receipe, a plan, or something to go off of and follow along. I just want what is best for my dog.

I have contacted a co-op in my town (Colorado Springs) to see what they have to offer, but wanted to see what advice everyone had on here. I don't want to have too much going on with her food, but still want it to be balanced long-term.

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 2:27 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.