Postings by Guest ID 1152427

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Needing a home for my medical mystery shar pei. *please read, very long*

Barked: Fri Feb 15, '13 1:45pm PST 
Well we got back from the vet this morning. Im excited that he has gained some weight also in the last couple months he is nearly 50lbs now!

Anyway, she agreed with me on the Triad disease. She did not seem completely sold on the FSF and swollen hock she thinks the swelling episodes are due to the yeast/bacteria issues, though she said she does have some pei patients who have it and mentioned that they are on a protocol, and what it was. We did a complete blood profile (I need to bring in Urine, I completely spaced it this morning and he was too irritated from the blood draw for us to worry about it today) I will list what was tested, we will have results monday.

He happened to have an ear infection, I knew something was going on with his ears though cause last night he started shaking his head a lot and dropping his left ear. But anyway we got the yeast meds, plus the yeast shampoo and a medication for his ears as well as antibiotics, she wanted to do pred again but I asked to wait for the bloods first, as if his liver is still up I dont want to hurt it further. She did say that it seems highly likely that his skin is the triad disease and seemed confident that treating the three will help. They dont offer the skin scraping anymore for allergies like they used to, they send off blood and its expensive so its not something we could do (it was over $300, they send it off to a dermatologist, but apparently thats for allergy shots) but she feels like I do and that the main issue is not that he may or may not have an allergy, it is something deeper going on. SO i got the testing I wanted done, and the basic meds I wanted for him and hopefully his bloods will show something good and I will start him on some supplements for the Swollen Hock. I think in order for me to get her to get a good look at his hocks is to bring him in when they are at their worst. this last swelling episode was extremely minor and he never fevered, which honestly was amazing as usually the swelling is HUGE.

Anyway, my husband comes back sometime this week, he's still saying if there is no cure he has to go, but I do believe even if jack has to be on antibiotics/yeast meds forever, but it helps thats cure enough. The vet said she has a pei who does perfect as long as hes on the meds for bacteria/yeast but as soon as they let one or the other go his skin goes nuts again. We go back in a month to reevaluate how he is doing and hopefully things will be looking up. She said he looked significantly better than when she saw him last (which he did) and I told her what I had been doing, and she said to keep it up cause it was obviously helping, hoping with the added meds it'll get better.

here is what was in the blood profile that was taken, I honestly cant tell you what most of them are for, I need to do some research on it but my friend who is a vet tech said it was a pretty thorough/comprehensive test so im hoping its covered everything

A/G Ratio
Albumin
ALK Phos.
ALT
Amylase
AST
BUN
BUN/creat. ratio
Calcium
Chloride
Cholesterol
CPL
Creatinine
CGT
Globuli n
Glucose
Lipase
Magnesium
Phosphorus
Potassium
Sodium
NAIK Ratio
Total bilirubin
Total protein
Triglycerides
CBC
T4
Urinalysis(which wasnt done today, will have to bring it in monday)

I must add, that I totally love that she told me that from his paperwork from previous vets, they have all said that he has a sweet disposition/very sweet dog. Makes me proud, cause she said they do not come across pei's that are as sweet as he is. They did find out today though that he gets a bit less sweet when taken away from me, he freaked a bit when they took his leash to do the blood work and he realized I was not following behind him so I had to walk behind him into the back room, and then leave. Which really, if we had to rehome him it would not be easy for a new family because he is VERY attached to me.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Needing a home for my medical mystery shar pei. *please read, very long*

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 6:42pm PST 
My husband loves dogs, as long as they arent expensive, hes worn out. He his dog, but even with his dogs emergency surgery he's been significantly cheaper. He was not raised around animals so he doesnt really see the dogs=family thing.

He was not bought from a breeder, we picked him up from a neglectful owner that had no business owning a shar pei (let alone any type of dog, they had five other dogs). From what they told us the "breeder" they got him from was a cousin of theirs or something, backyard breeder situation I mean they paid 150 for him. Who sells pei puppies for that little?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 12:13pm PST 
Thank you!! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 11:59am PST 
Oh darn, they shouwed up in the preview but then not when I posted! here are direct links, hopefully they work

jack
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/jbdclmom/2013 -02-01094807-1_zps13142d76.jpg

hocks
http://i411.photobucket.com /albums/pp198/jbdclmom/2013-02-01094742-1_zps43fcd432.jpg

from sept/oct
http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp198/jbdclmom/jack.jpg

as far as the mucinosis, I have not noticed an issue. He hasnt had any tearing in quite a while and has never really had the traditional blisters that pop. Just fragile like skin that tore and thats where it would ooze, or when he chews mucin oozes out.

The fever, I cannot rightly tell the exact temp. feeling his ears and underbelly he does not FEEL abnormally hot. I have not been able to get his temperature done today (will be doing it, as soon as I get my baby to sleep) I've coincidentally got three kiddos home today with fevers, so i've been taking care of them all day.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 10:39am PST 
Are those pictures NOT showing up?
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 10:28am PST 
Thought Id post a picture of Jack, since I had a minute. Also noticed his hocks beginning to swell so I snapped a picture of them as well. I also have pictures of what he looked like BEFORE the raw apple cider vinegar and omega 3's.

Jack (We call him jacky, and jackaford also smile )

His hocks this morning, they can get to about double this when its bad, this is just the start of swelling. Doesnt usually last long.

and here is what he looked like sept/october, his hocks are not swollen in this picture. different angle but you can tell that they arent always as big as they are in that other picture.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 1:47pm PST 
Our vet said the generic can be dangerous *dunno*...doesnt really matter though as he didnt respond to it, so we wouldnt put him on it again. Unless of course, its the triad disease and treating all three is what needed to happen and they went with Atopica.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 4:21pm PST 
Yes im on the shar pei forums, havent been intensely on there since September posted just the other.ay but it was brief and I have not gone back to read replies, they are who directed me to dr. tintle. I do not believe his kidneys have ever been specifically looked at. My appt is th 15th for him. Im going to look at the hyvitality and see what I can rearrange in our finances to afford it monthly. I will look into the link you gav me when I get home.

....really starting to regret my grand idea to wait til my kids were older for vet school. My current.degre.is not helpful at all. goodness!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 3:50pm PST 
So I was just reading on Vidt's website about the Triad disease, and that its a mix between bacterial and yeast infections AND allergies. It seems as though he was saying that if all three arent treated at the same time they will basically just perpetuate. I wonder if that is what could cause all the allergy meds to not work? since even if hes been on antibiotics, hes never been treated for yeast (other than me, at home, feeding raw apple cider vinegar. He gets it daily in his water). Essentially he's never been treated for all three of those things only two at a time. Which I would think would have caused the elimination diet to fail because he had the other issues, and if you look at the images of the dogs from his page that is exactly what my dogs skin looks like, at his worse it was even more so, its gotten better since the vinegar but still got the other issues. also read they could be allergic to himself. I am most definietly going to ask for the allergy and yeast scraping, I wonder though how they would determine if he is allergic to himself? Then it would be getting his swollen hock issue diagnosed and treated. The atopica was much too expensive for us to sustain on a regular basis but I wonder if it would be cheaper if he were to show improvement on a not so strong drug if all three issues were being addressed?

Sorry I am thinking out loud and just need to write this all out to work it out completely. And my husband is SO not okay with hearing about it all. Its kind of a good thing he'll be gone for a good bit and I can get this all sorted, hopefully. As far as Tintle's drug, does that help the Hock syndrome? I thought the OMega threes were suppose to help that?
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 1:59pm PST 
OH! I forgot to mention, he scratches his armpits. and backs of his front legs. not that often, could just be a normal dog itch. But I assume any itch with him is part of the problem...

Its not just the skin that concerns me either, its the swelling of his legs, the random weirdness with them (conincides with the swelling) not wanting to walk, or being mildly stiff. It doesnt seem like its just ONE issue ie. the skin.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 15 6:10 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.