Postings by Guest ID 1148682

GO!

Pembroke Welsh Corgi > Is afraid of his harness

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 6:05am PST 
I purchased a new "no pull" harness for my corgi-mix, Ozzie. I had tried training him for a long time with all the methods trainers and others have suggested, but he still nearly choked himself trying to get from point A to point B when he was on leash. The moment I put it on him, he put his tail down and walked away. I wasn't frustrated or angry or in any way being negative when I put it on him and in the three days we've had it, it has never been used as a punishment. He only wears it when we go out for walks, which he used to love.

When it's on he seems terrified of me and is reluctant to come near me. He goes from being excited at the prospect of a walk to overly submissive and almost fearful of me.

I have no idea what could be going on here... he was a rescue so I'm wondering if this is something he associates with the abuse he was subjected to in the past. If so, any idea on ways to make him not afraid of it? I tried giving him treats and playing with him while he was wearing it, just to see if he might stop being so fearful but no luck. The moment I take it off, he's back to his old playful, cheerful self.

Also, it's not the kind that goes around the nose, it's one that connects on the front of his chest. I know they typically are not right for most short dogs but he's a good bit taller than most corgis thanks to his mix so it doesn't trip him or fall off or anything like that.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 6:05 am

Blue Heeler > Agressive behavior

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 5:55am PST 
I had similar issues with my dog when I first adopted him. When it first started, I did exactly what you did (no and put him away for a little while). What I realized though is I had gotten so frustrated that I had forgotten to focus on positive reinforcement when he wasn't acting up. With Ozzie, a lot of it was trust issues. The more I trained him to do and rewarded good behavior, the less aggressive and snappy he became. This dog made a sharp turn around in just a month's time. I'm not saying to become all bright and cuddly when Fred does something bad, but when he's not misbehaving and being aggressive work hard on training positively; it builds trust. It might help in your situation, but I don't know if that's something you are already working hard to do. What I do know is Ozzie doesn't act out in the apartment any more. If I tell him to do something, he does it and I don't need to give him a treat every time or anything like that; he just listens. I also learned that at least for Ozzie, ignoring him was a better way to deal with him as opposed to putting him in his crate.

For those times when Fred is refusing to do what you say and you need him to vacate wherever he is, I found that a spray bottle is a really helpful tool. As soon as you stick your hand in near a dog that has the potential to be aggressive you put yourself at risk of getting bitten. So I used it when I needed him to stop obsessing over something or refusing to get off of a piece of furniture. For example, if he was barking and growling at the door so much I couldn't break his attention:spritz, fixated on the cat and chasing him around: spritz, refusing to get off furniture... you get the idea. It can't be the only thing you use but I found it helpful for getting my point across when I was nervous about how he would react if I tried to pull him away or pull him off of something.

I don't know if the frustration and subsequent difficulty being positive when he's actually good applies to you, but it was for me and I no longer worry that I will be forced to give Ozzie back to the shelter.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 30 5:51 pm

Blue Heeler > Tasks for my blue heeler/corgi mix

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 5:38am PST 
Almost a year ago I adopted Ozzie and aside from being taller and larger than most corgis, he certainly acted like one. He seemed like he would be fine in my apartment as long as I made sure to take him on long walks and to the park to get some exercise. The longer I had him though, the higher his energy levels became and my vet pointed out that with his markings, he likely has blue heeler in him, maybe even 50%. He's not destructive at all (yet) and he is easily trained, but I was wondering if anyone had tasks that their blue heeler can do in the house since I know that having a job can help keep him from becoming destructive.

I'm trying to move out of my apartment, but I'm not financially capable at this time to find a small house. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 1 5:38 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.