Postings by Guest ID 1148452

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > Talking to doctor

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 1:30pm PST 
I asked my doctor and he blew up at me. Apparently he doesn't like service dogs for any reason. I will be findin a new neurologist anyways so I guess I'll just ask again in the future. I really don't need a note, I was just makin sure I had everything in hand just in case I ever needed it.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Apr 2 1:30 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Talking to doctor

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 12:23pm PST 
So I have had a service dog for years, but have never had to have proof from a doctor. The university I attend and local bus services have never had a problem with me havin her and have never requested info. How do you approach a doc for a prescription? My doctor is a little old fashion and I'm worried he will say no, so is there an easy way to ask and be successful in getting the ok? I don't usual bring my girl with me to visits since I have had altercations with "fake" service dogs and people not keeping her hands off her even though she is clearly marked on her vest. its just too much of a hassle in the hospital ( it stresses me out more than anything).

Oh and she is a headache/ seizure dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 2 1:30 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Diagnosed with Progressive Retinal Atrophy (aka PRA)

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 2:06pm PST 
My seizure/headache service dog was diagnosed with PRA yesterday frown

So far, she is only night blind, and we are getting her on supplements to hopefully slow down the progression. I am worried that I will have to retire her :,(

She shouldn't have any trouble alerting me of a seizure or headache, but obviously retrieval tasks will be impossible when she goes blind (I could just have the meds and water and phone always in her vest, I suppose). I really don't want to retire her... It feels like it has taken me forever to get her almost to the perfect service dog for me! She is the best service dog I have had so far. Would it even be possible to have a blind service dog? We don't know for sure how long it will be before she goes blind. Any ideas? Should I retire her and try training a new pup?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Mar 15 3:37 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Just a few quick questions

Barked: Sat Jan 5, '13 9:19pm PST 
Hello!

I am new to this forum and am extremely excited to finally have a place to talk about my Service dog and get real answers.

i have a 4 year old Bernese Mountain Dog that has been my seizure/headache alert service dog for a year now. She is trained to alert me (nudge/paw my left leg for seizure and lick hands for headache) and also does four different tasks for me: brace, lead (lead me somewhere to sit when I have a headache), retrieve meds/water bottle/cell phone, and pull (I grab her harness and she pulls me up).

I have a few questions:

So my first question is if there are actual locations where you can have the access test taken? She has her CGC and is trained in all the access test tasks/behaviors but I didn't know if there is an actual testing facility? I have asked some of the obedience trainers and almost all of them haven't heard of such a thing. I realize this is probably something I should have done before going in public, but she is fully trained. I think it's more o a piece-of-mind thing rather than something she really needs.

My second question is if anyone has ever worked with temperature cues? Obviously this is a more personal task than most handlers but most of my headaches are triggered by overexposure to the cold. I know you can train dogs to nudge when you are doing something compulsive (like PSDs for OCD?) so does anyone know how you might train one to cue when it's too cold? Might sound dumb but having her tell me I need to go in especially when I'm talking to a friend or something and don't pay attention is super important.

And my final question is kind of a general info question. Does anyone use like business cards or fliers with info for people that just don't understand the law? I get stopped by the greeter every time I go to Walmart even though my dog is clearly marked as a service dog on her vest. Just wondering if having ADA info on hand makes any difference than just telling them?

Sorry for the long post! Any info helps smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Isaac, Jan 13 7:47 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.