Postings by Guest ID 1147690

GO!

Senior Dogs > Decision time

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 9:36pm PST 
Thank you all so much! Great resources that I will be utilizing!
I started a journal, and then we had a horse colic to the point we had a hole dug. Luckily, amazingly, actually,she pulled out of it. I then got bad news about another senior dog I have. Either way, the focus was taken off Ollie, and just updated my journal today. I am going to check out the diary on this site, as well.
Funny thing is, due to the all around bad news over the past few days, hubby and I decided to take all 3 dogs for a walk to the barn, despite the crappy weather. Mr. Oliver was slow to start, but perked right up, trotting all over (shock) and has seemingly rebounded in a significant way!
Took him to the vet today (made the appointment last week). His bloodwork is great, his weight is great, she thought he seemed like an 8 year old. We laughed thinking he "knew" I made "THE appointment" and decided to rally. Whatever the reason, I'm thrilled to see him so upbeat, and will be taking him on many more walks, as long as he can handle it. At 17, I know his days are numbered, but I have realized, in a big way, to just embrace whatever we get. THANK you all so much! Today I'm lucky enough to report a good ending for now! applause
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Pippin - My Forever Angel, Jan 14 1:44 pm

Barked: Tue Jan 8, '13 8:31am PST 
So hard to determine what his personal quality of life is at this time. I am home a good part of most days with my pets. I am realizing now, that the past couple weeks seem to have turned another corner. He doesn't seem to do a lot of interacting.

He had a gastro episode last Thursday night. Took him to vet. All tests show normal, and very "good" numbers on his blood test. Yet, today, he is barely walking around, a little stumbly, and his sight I *think* is almost completely gone because he has walked into a few things that you would think he could see. He balks a bit whenever you touch him, but he still loves to get his scratches, comes trotting (or at least walking quickly) for his food and still rallys with the other dogs when they get excited about things.

I was hoping to get him through the winter and let him enjoy some nice days. If he doesn't thrive with the good weather, then a nice spring/summer day feels like a good time to say our goodbyes. So much harder imagining it in the winter. And, how do you literally weigh the good vs. the bad. Hate to think he's in "pain" or "suffering." When he seems lost or confused, or not "with us", he seems to then have a moment where he is decisive, gets to the couch or his bed, and sleeps.

I do think that he is enjoying affection, scratches, etc., less and less. I suppose if I start a journal then I can keep track. So hard. Wish the good Lord would just take him in his sleep. But, isn't that what we all wish for? And the fact that we've become so "able" to extend their lives past what it would be in the natural, I cognitively know it's our duty out of love to not let them suffer. Tell my heart that.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Pippin - My Forever Angel, Jan 14 1:44 pm

Senior Dogs > Exersises for Hind Leg Weakness

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 8:17pm PST 
I did some simple things which made a big impact when our senior's legs started showing their age. I would routinely during the day lift one leg at a time, causing weight bearing on the opposite leg. I also used pool noodles outside for him to walk over. Nothing fancy, but these simple things made a world of difference, especially lifting individual legs during the day. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 1 8:17 pm

Senior Dogs > Exersises for Hind Leg Weakness

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 3:42pm PST 
A very simple thing we did with our aging dog back when was just to pick up each individual leg to allow them to weight on the opposite leg frequently off and on during the day. We also set up swimming noodles and had him walk over them. Not a lot or anything ground breaking, but it made a huge difference. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 1 8:17 pm

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 2:27pm PST 
We have a 17 year old Westie named Oliver who has taken a turn the past few months. We joke and say I married my hubby because of this dog that was initially his. He is one of the truest loves of my life.

He is mostly blind (mostly cataracts on his pupils) and mostly deaf but has done well until recently. He seems to have a sort of dimentia (my dad passed from Alzheimers, it's like reliving that all over). His legs get a little shaky now and then, and although he can do the 3 steps out our back door, any more than that I help him with. We have 2 other dogs, one senior and one adult. He sleeps a lot during the day (not surprising).

He still is VERY interested in food, his nose is his strongest sense and he still follows the other dogs where they go, wanting to be part of things. He will still chew on treats I give them, and still often will trot along with us when we are outside. The recent snow, however, is making things troublesome. I imagine all the white and brightness makes it harder for him to see at all.

He seems to be a little troubled by the added challenges. His confusion has increased; he now will just stand for periods of up to 15 minutes, or walk around, not settling. He's also been at his privates the past day or so. His annual exam and bloodwork were all glowing, but, I am now questioning his quality of life.

We are/were planning a home passing, burying him in our yard (it's legal here) but, with the snow, I'm not so sure. I prepared myself for this, but, these changes have caught me off guard. I was hoping that we'd get him thru the winter. Its becoming more troubling to keep an eye on him, although, up til the last couple days, I can't say he's seemed to be in distress. I welcome any thoughts anyone out there has. So hard to know when to let them go. Thanks...
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Pippin - My Forever Angel, Jan 14 1:44 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.