Postings by Guest ID 1143947

GO!

Greater Swiss Mountain Dog > Is loose stool common is Swissys?

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:57am PST 
My swissy seems to have pretty solid stools. I would reccommend a food change. I had a mastiff once that I fed tpo dollar food to. His body couldn't digest it properly and he never had a solid stool. I kept switching his food but still sticking the the high end brands. I asked my mom to dog sit for me for a few days and she started feeding him regular dog chow. I was furious that she changed his food without telling me but it made his stool solid and he seemed happier about eating it. So I kept him on it!! Obviously its not the greatest and they say its not good for them but hey, he liked it and it saved me a few bucks! Hope this helps! Let me know what you decide and what your outcome is!!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jules, Feb 23 8:02 am

Greater Swiss Mountain Dog > Cat urine smell?

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '12 10:53am PST 
Hello! I have a 3 and a half month old swissy named Reece. He is a beautiful healthy little boy. The only problem we seem to be experiencing is that he has a smell....like cat urine!!

We do have two cats in the house but Reece does not have access to their litter box. We keep that in the basement and he has not mastered the stairs just yet! We did switch his food about two weeks ago to nature's domain salmon and sweet potato. I did a little investigating online and found that this could be the issue however, it also might not. We took him to the vet this past Sunday and I mentioned the smell. The vet didn't ask any further questions or do any kind of examination and just told me one of my cats is probably peeing on my dog. Now, I don't know how many of you have experience with cat pee, but usually it will make your entire house smell. I don't think either of my cats has perfect aim to urinate ONLY on the dog without getting any on the floor...If we bathe him (which I am trying to refrain from), the smell will go away for few hours and then return again.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue or idea? He loves his food and has no other problems so I would like to wait until closer to the end of this bag of food to start changing it over to something else. Especially if the smell is only bothering me and I can stand it for that long!!
Thanks!!

PS. I do plan on seeing another vet as clearly this woman does not care about the health or well being of my dog and is just there to collect a paycheck.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 11 12:10 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.