Postings by Guest ID 1142946

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Choosing the Right Dog > service dog of protective breed - what gsd line? or other breeds

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 7:55am PST 
Thanks for all the help,
I have contacted bullinger about what she has available - very happy to hear she has young show dogs available :3 thanks for reccomending her!
I will also keep fidelco in mind - no it doesnt have to be in ontario, if i find the right dog ill go anywhere to get him - just helps my bank account being closer to home ;3
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sabi, Jan 26 3:21 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > service dog of protective breed - what gsd line? or other breeds

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 6:44am PST 
BRT - its not letting me msg you for whatever reason.

Thankyou for your reply - im very interested to know the breeder youre talking about.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Jan 26 3:21 pm

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '13 6:16am PST 
First of all I would like to say I am looking for a protection breed only. Yes I know labs, goldens, and poodles are the best - I am well informed about service dogs. But Im only interested in protective breeds for numerous reasons - many of which pertain to my disorders =)

I am interested in a GSD and I have some questions about the lines that would make the best dog for me. I am working with an experianced trainer - but Im trying to gain as much knowledge about the breed from as many sources as possible.

I would also love other breed recomendations - esspecially if you have or know of a service dog that is of the breed =)

I think it's best if I describe the qualities I would like:
- has energy, but can differenciate play time vs. work time vs. relaxing time
- enthusiastic about life
- very affection driven, loves cuddles and being petted
- extreamly loyal, but who will be tolerant of strangers
- low agression, has to be dependable in all public situations
- more of a velcro dog vs. being independant
- can handle my emotional needs (wont panic when i have an anxiety attacks and such - will calmly perform the tasks taught of him)
- very trainable

I am going to be looking at rescues as well as breeder dogs - sujestions of breeders in ontario would also be very helpful. Ideally I want a dog between 6 and 18 months but may look at puppies too. Im hoping to have a male dog as I get along with males better altogether, who is between 24" and 30" and obviously extensivly health tested (or his parents have been).

Thank you very much for any help, I really apreciate it and look forward to replies =)
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Jan 26 3:21 pm

German Shepherd > what line should i get (working vs. us show vs. german show)

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 9:41am PST 
I am looking for a gsd to train as a service dog and I have some questions about the lines that would make the best dog for me. I am working with an experianced trainer - but Im trying to gain as much knowledge about the breed from as many sources as possible.

I think it's best if I describe the qualities I would like:
- has energy, but can differenciate play time vs. work time vs. relaxing time
- enthusiastic about life
- very affection driven, loves cuddles and being petted
- extreamly loyal, but who will be tolerant of strangers
- low agression, has to be dependable in all public situations
- more of a velcro dog vs. being independant
- can handle my emotional needs (wont panic when i have an anxiety attacks and such - will calmly perform the tasks taught of him)
- very trainable

I am going to be looking at rescues as well as breeder dogs - sujestions of breeders in ontario would also be very helpful. Ideally I want a dog between 6 and 18 months but may look at puppies too. Im hoping to have a male dog as I get along with males better altogether, who is between 24" and 30" and obviously extensivly health tested (or his parents have been).

Thank you very much for any help, I really apreciate it and look forward to replies =)
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Jan 20 2:46 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > old style vs. show bred gsd

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 5:59am PST 
thanks so much for your help!

i will deffinatly ask on the breed forum. I think a 'sharper' dog is more my style. I do want a dog who has energy though - who gets excited to see me and likes to play and is generally enthusiastic about life - but who has the mind to differenciate play time, work time, and when were just relaxing. I also want a dog who is very loyal - but who will tolerent strangers obviously.

I am deffinatly planning on working with a trainer - Im just hoping to get a really good sence of what Im looking for in a dog. Im staying with my mom right now and her golden has convinced that that'sI deffinatly not what I want - but Im falling in love with the neighbors mutt who is mostly shepherd (looks like an old style and is very dominant) whom I walk everyday. Deffinatly theyre two oposites - but it's really helping me narrow down qualities I want and the ones I dont.

And thanks for the information about rescuing. Do rescues allow you to health test before adopting - or while fostering? Fostering is a great idea though - thanks for the sujestion!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 5:59 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Help finding a trainer for fear managment

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 1:21pm PST 
the trainer i was talking to is john wade ( askthedogguy.com ) based out of london on. has experiance with service dogs.

i too am near toronto =) and planning on being an OT also
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by thunder, Jan 19 5:44 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > old style vs. show bred gsd

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 3:14pm PST 
wondering what the major differences are between the two. other than the obvious height an frame.
are show bred dogs with health testing as good a choice as an old style with health testing?
what is the better choice for a psd?

i was previously considering a shiloh shepherd but am now thinking of going with a smaller dog. I am very set on having a protection breed of dog (obviously with lower instinct) as this is what I am familiar with and enjoy most in a dog.

as a side note does anyone here have a rotti psd or have experiances to share? im pretty unfamiliar with that breed.

If i was to choose a shepherd from a rescue what are warning signs to watch out for? would i still just base the decision off the volhard test? (obviously will be employing a trainer also but just wondering what thoughts are and who has experiance with it).

Also I am now looking for an older dog (6-18mth) as reccomended previously on this forum =)
If anyone knows of great breeders in canada or the us id love to hear! Thanks so much guys!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 20 5:59 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > puppy advice

Need info on service dogs

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:03pm PST 
thanks for all your help! i will deffinatly read 'before and after getting your puppy' the more i read cesars book the more questionable i find it - like you said there are some good points though.
i mentioned in another thread that i have trained a number of horses and the majority of the techniques and concepts are identical to parelli natural horsemanship! i am familiar with all the same major principles already - consistancy, responding with the same level of intent as what youre correcting, when to step in, how to stop correcting at the perfect time, physically blocking ect. are all things im very familiar with and use on a daily basis. and i am considering very carefully if OTing from a puppy is right for me - hence why im reading this book now =) i deffinatly want to have all my ducks in a row before deciding on my plan of action. i apreciate your words of caution and i deffinatly will not dive into this until i have done alot more research.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Happy, Dec 13 7:16 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > puppy advice

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 12:00am PST 
im reading cesar millans book - how to raise the perfect dog - as a starting point to learning about raising a puppy as it is something i have never done before.

one of the big things he mentions is not to let the puppy have the run of the whole house as they crave structure and rules - which makes sence. but he said his collegue upon getting their puppy kept her in her crate in the laundry room or in the backyard for the first week and that its best to pretty much ignore them for this time - doesnt this seem more than a little cold? wouldnt this cause a dog anxiety issues to be left alone all the time when they are meant to live in a pack? i mean i understand thier need for rules but i find this more than a little restrictive and harsh.

this runs contrary to everything ive known until this point.. is this really what raising a puppy is like? i want my SD to sleep with me for reasons relating to my disorder - a number of my tasks are nighttime ones. and i want to be able to enjoy him being a puppy - not keep him in a crate where he can look but not experiance. i dont want a dog that seeks its crate for comfort - i want a dog that stays with me all the time and is allowed on the bed, couches ect. without being unruly.

im finding cesars book a little hard to take - for example he supports this german shepherd breeder who seems to train all of her puppies in packs before they go to their new home.. im not saying its necissarily wrong it just seems so impersonal with all the puppies down-staying in a line while making sad faces. i understand obidience and that a dog isnt always going to look happy but i thought this was supposed to be a fun experiance - not playing prison warden. and there are pictures of the same breeder who has wire dog crates with plastic bottoms and she doesnt even put a blanket down for her dogs.

cesars book skips a number of things - like he'll begin to explain a concept - for example he recomends clients to spray bleach water infront of their homes before bringing a puppy home but he never explains why or elaborates. i just dont understand it - cesar raises his dogs to live in his garage - but i want a dog that lives with me and is attentive to me and wants to be with me! not who lives in my garage! whats the point of even having a dog if you cant spend time with them, you cant enjoy them, you cant do anything fun, and you have to keep them in a crate and not cuddle them, not talk in a baby voice, and god forbid you acctually want the animal youve waited your whole life for to sleep in your bed instead of isolated in a whole other part of the house! maybe cesar isnt worth his rep? what do you think?

what have you guys done in terms of the first few weeks at home? where did your puppy sleep, did you section of part of the house? did you pay them no attention as cesars book reccomends?
i guess my real question is how do you think a balanced SD that is allowed in my bed and stays with me, yet is still respectful should be raised ?
or maybe you could reccomend some books that have helped you?

id be really interested in your advice and opinions =)
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Happy, Dec 13 7:16 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Introducing Loki

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '12 11:18pm PST 
yayy thats awesome!! congratz =D
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Dec 29 1:39 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.