Postings by Guest ID 1139835

GO!

Dingo > You probably don't have a dingo.

Leo

Troublemaker.

Barked: Sun Nov 18, '12 9:01am PST 
I certainly didn't intend to talk down to anyone, although I can see how you got that impression. My point is that it's infinitesimally slim, basically impossible, to "find" a dingo in America. And, as this was written days before I even saw your question, this was absolutely in no way aimed at you specifically.

However, any time you point out that someone is in all probability mistaken about something, especially something they care about as much as their dog, people are going to feel offended. In religion and politics this is just best avoided because it boils down, essentially, to opinion. Not so with this topic.

My real goal is to have people be realistic about their dogs and address the training issues they encounter, rather than blaming it on the dog's imaginary "wild" lineage.

But I'm sure your dog is a fantastic dog, and a shiba inu is a beautiful and intelligent breed that you should be proud to have, and it's certainly in no way any worse than having a dingo or dingo mix. Dingoes are, after all, ultimately just another breed of dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 24 4:48 am

Raw Food Diet > mucous poo on raw diet
Leo

Troublemaker.

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 10:05am PST 
Thanks for all the tips, guys! What kind of meat do you suggest with a good bone to flesh ratio? My guy is around 25lbs, so nothing too huge, although he does a great job at properly crunching his bones before swallowing them, and isn't a "gulper".

And to answer what "moucus poo" looks like, in the case of my dog, it looks pretty much like normal poo, but the first third or so of it has a think layer of light-brownishy mucus (like... thick snot... ick!). The rest of it may or may not also have some mucus on it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Nov 16 10:02 am

Raw Food Diet > mucous poo on raw diet

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 4:38pm PST 
I'm pretty new to the raw diet, but I've noticed my dog have been having mucous poo for a while now. It seems to be just the first part of the poo, but it's fairly mucous. Otherwise he seems pretty normal... maybe his poo is a bit looser than I'd like (but he's a very active puppy and hard to keep weight on and so gets more fat, in the form of marrow bones, than the average dog).

My first thought was hookworms, but I've wormed him and it didn't seem to help at all. I'd take him to the vet for it, but as he seems healthy overall (and I've recently moved and money is very tight) I'd rather not, and the vet will probably blame it on the raw diet anyway.

Is this at all normal on a raw diet? Has anyone else experienced it? Should I be concerned?
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Nov 16 10:02 am

Dogs & Travel > Dog-sitter or Kennel?

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 3:56pm PST 
You know your dogs better than anyone, but I personally find it better to leave my puppy in a kennel when I'm gone. Kennels vary A LOT in how good they are... some will just lock your dog in a crate for 23 hours a day, and some let your dog run around and socialize with other dogs all day. I've even found a couple kennels where the dogs are together 24 hours a day in a big area! There are even places which will read your dog a bed-time story and play "pet friendly" movies (which I think is pretty unnecessary).

I think if you can find a good kennel, it's always better to have your dogs supervised all day and running around with other dogs than left alone, locked up for days on end. My pup really loves socializing, and I'm sure it makes him forget all about me. The kennel I use lets the dogs play all day (which can be watched on a webcam), and give report cards on pick-up that cover everything about the dog's stay, including each meal eaten, who he played with, and anything else that might happen.

That beings said, like you can imagine there are some really awful kennels out there which are probably worse than being in a shelter. Make sure you check a kennel out (don't go by their website), and get a feeling for the staff and how happy the dogs are, and obviously don't leave your dogs in a kennel that makes you even a little bit uncomfortable.

And for what it's worth, the kennel cough vaccine is usually given intranasally, so it probably won't be a "shot".
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Casey, Jun 4 1:46 pm

Dogs & Travel > Importing a dog to New Zealand/Australia

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 3:42pm PST 
Can anyone comment on the ups and downs of importing a dog to Australia or NZ? I know they have similar but different regulations, which are pretty difficult to keep straights. Any significant price differences/ hidden costs? I'm considering doing a 2 year working holiday, but would like to take my dog.

My understanding is that it would be cheaper to import a dog to NZ, as the quarantine is only 10 days (from the US with all other vaccination/test requirements met), but I still find a lot of the regulations and logistics confusing. Anyone have any experience in this area?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 12 3:42 pm

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 3:35pm PST 
I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping an American with a "dingo rescue" would weigh in.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 24 4:48 am

Dingo > so you can acually have a pet dingo?

Barked: Sun Nov 11, '12 5:37pm PST 
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dingo/thread/759349
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 5:37 pm

Dingo > Any other dingos out there?

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 10:02pm PST 
I know this thread is super old, but many of you need to read this.

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dingo/thread/759349
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 8 10:02 pm

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 9:54pm PST 
Perhaps it's not my place to say, but I've been looking around on Dogster (and elsewhere) and I have to say it's a bit distressing the number of people who are deluding themselves into thinking they've adopted a dingo from a rescue.

The Dingo is a rare pariah breed native to Asia, which is feral in Australia. It's illegal to export from Australia, and the dingo does NOT live "in the wild" in any of the Americas (the "American dingo" is not a true dingo). So, unless you live in Australia or SE Asia, you *certainly* aren't going to find a dingo at your local rescue, as the dingoes which have been brought to America are identified as such and kept accordingly. Period. No, it's not technically impossible... but neither is finding a baboon in your kitchen tomorrow. However, the chances are so infinitesimally small it may as well be impossible.

Flipping through pictures on Dogster of "dingoes", I saw maybe one, maybe two dogs that even could have possibly been a dingo/dingo mix, and the rest were unquestionably crosses of non-dingoes that didn't even remotely resemble a dingo. However, a bit of wishful thinking on a new owner's part... some pointy ears on the pup... a brownish or yellowish color coat... and suddenly some American thinks they've walked into a rescue and adopted one of the world's rarest dogs in a country where for all intents and purposes they don't exist.

No, it doesn't matter that your dog doesn't bark, chases squirrels, is afraid or strangers, or is flexible or smart. Those are within the range of normal for many breeds, and several of those "dingo" traits" can easily result from being poorly socialized/inadequately trained (which is common in rescues, unfortunately).

So, you don't have a dingo. Be honest with yourself, and really look at those photos of real dingoes-- not just their ears, but their actual bone structure, facial lay out, coat pattern, and build. It doesn't matter if your dog isn't part dingo! It takes not one iota away from how great your dog is or how much you love it (one would hope)... but stop deluding yourself. It's just plain not a dingo.

And this fantasy is no excuse for allowing your dog to act "wild". Dingo or no (and seriously... no.) it's up to you to make sure your dog is well trained and socialized. I think what's most distressing is that so often people say "my rescue is part dingo, and can't be controlled!" as if it were a done deal and any naughty behavior is excused because the dog is "part wild!". It's not, and any true misbehavior or lack of socialization, be it in a traditional dog or a true dingo, must be dealt with and not just "excused" because your yellow/brown dog has pointy ears and you have a big imagination or dreams of communing with the "wild spirit".

(This is not aimed at anyone in particular, but all non-Autralian/SE Asians who think they walked into a pound and found a dingo.)

Maybe someone can answer for me why it is that so many people would have this ridiculous idea that they found a dingo at the pound... is it just ignorance, or something more?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 24 4:48 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.