Postings by Guest ID 1123245

GO!

Dachshund > Dachshund & IVDD

Barked: Mon Jul 30, '12 6:32am PST 
Hi, I'm new here, was looking for a place to go with other people who may have experience with this.

I have a 6 year old Dachshund named Rocco. Now, I was warned about the breed having back issues years ago when I got him, and heard stories about surgeries, paralysis and the like.

When the dog was younger, I admittedly let him do some things that I feel extremely guilty about now, but at the time, I wasn't thinking this far in the future, despite being warned (I was a dumb, irrespondible 25 year old). The dog loves attention and to be physically near you. So, he'd like to come on the beds. One day, he just jumped off (about 2.5 - 3' in the air) and this became his method for getting off the beds (he'd shoot off if the doorbell rang, as we did try to place him down, but couldn't always get to him)over the course of a few years. He'd also jump up on the couches and off (those weren't as high). The dog is neutered, and slightly overweight.

No issues came up until this past Decemeber 2011. I let the dog out one day, and when he came back to the door, when he would normally jump up the small step into the house, he just stood there trembling. This was the start of the IVDD. He was crated for a month and medicated.

Ever since, he's never been the same dog. Obviously I do not allow him on beds and furniture with any kind of regularity. I've changed his diet and he has lost a little weight. However, some days he'll have flare ups just like a human with a bad back. Well this Saturday, I gave him a bath, and I guess from the shaking he really hurt himself. I've given him baths in the past with no issues like this. He was unable to walk, and appeared very stiff, he also was shaking and in obvious discomfort. His hind legs, although he does have control appear to be weak...it's still soon to know how bad this incident may be I think. I've had the dog on Gabapentin for a while, and the vet recently lowered his dosage. He's not on steroids at the moment, but I called the vet and want to talk about putting him back on the steroids and to see if there are long term effects with the Gaba.

I have a tremendous sense of guilt right now over the animal, and it breaks my heart to see him like this. I'm 32, and there are a lot of things I can deal with, but this is really starting to hit me hard.

I was wondering if there were any other Doxie owners who have went through this, and when and how do you decide to have the dog taken for surgery? I know that is a last option, and from reading, not always successful. Right now I feel like my dog is made of glass. I am reluctant to move him even to pick him up to take him out as to not cause him discomfort.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sir Daddi O, Aug 26 4:50 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.