Postings by Guest ID 1119496

GO!

Service & Therapy Dogs > For those of you that use the train (specifically subway)

Jethro

Everybody's- Friend

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 2:09pm PST 
It seems to me your over thinking this, sometimes you need to just do it and act like it's no big deal the dog will go along based on how you act. They just opened light rail where I live we did it the first time on opening day. We had to wait in line for 45 min. and the train was packed FULL. We took a seat Jethro laid under my legs while people petted him. For training to be worth anything it has to harder than what they are going to have to do day to day, what they need is a confident handler. It's true if your scared the dog is going to be scared if your confident the dog will be confident.Let people pet the dog that makes anything fun for them.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Aidan, CGC, Jul 9 8:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Your sevice dog can be off leash!
Jethro

Everybody's- Friend

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 1:58pm PST 
If you would like to have your service dog off leash go to www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm and read "Service dogs must be under control". Don't mess this up for the rest of us your dog does have to be under control.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jul 24 5:28 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Invisible Disabilities - Ever Feel like a Fraud?

Jethro

Everybody's- Friend

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 1:54pm PST 
Read "Unlocking Justice" by Dr. Karen Huffer it will give you all the answers you need especially if you ever have to deal with deal with the thugs in the Civilian Criminal Justice System. At this point I have no idea how they can call it a "Justice System" it's just a bunch of thugs pushing people around.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Oct 19 9:10 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Let people pet your service dog

Barked: Wed Jan 30, '13 12:25pm PST 
I trained my own service dog and one of the key components of his training was letting people pet him. One of the first things I discovered was that little kids love dogs. The first time I took Jethro to the mall I was talking to somebody about him and when I turned around and looked Jethro had a 3 year old hanging from his neck, they where both giving each other kisses. Jethro is a Dogue De Bordeaux/AmStaff mix and about 90 lbs. I learned very quickly that your better off letting the dog be social, it does not take much to teach them that work comes first. Trust me after two months of getting petted none stop they don't like it so much anymore and the problem is self correcting.
This has worked so well that when we go to our normal places, the store, gym, out to eat I don't even have to put him on leash. The other bonus is when people like your service dog they will stand up for him.
Last night at 24 Hour Fitness this nut went off about being allergic to dogs and told me he was going to sue and so on. The Club manager told him to go to a different location or they would refund this months dues and he could stop coming. I love 24 Hour Fitness. Plus the other guys in the locker room laid in to him when I walked out.
My point here is that it seems to me that the service dog training industry is telling us a lot of lies. I trained my own dog because of what I saw when I looked at proffesionaly trained service dogs. I found out they could not be off leash, they had no social skills and they would bite when scared.As I'm writing this I can't remember the last time I had Jethro on leash.
Yes the police tried and failed to make the arguments most of you are going to make. They failed because he is that good and everyone loves him. So as soon as they start in the public stands up for Jethro and they look very bad. There is a very good chance the local Mayor won't win reelection because she treated Jethro badly without first checking to see who his friends are.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Apr 30 12:04 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.