Postings by Guest ID 1109507

GO!

Behavior & Training > Please PLEASE help training dog differentiate people at fence

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 7:32pm PST 
blue dog Hello really need some help

We of course would want our dogs to bark at people approaching our fence to our house for safety reasons. Unfortunately on one
side of the fence to our house we have neighbors WHO CANT STAND DOGS -Period- are extremely FEARFUL of dogs.
THese neighbors (do have a fenced in yard) but there is a few feet between the properties of a leftover perimeter on their end. So in that area by the perimeter of our fence sometimes the dogs bark. Today I was cutting up dinner in the kitchen and heard some barking so it took about two minutes for me to respond and the dogs would not quiet down when I asked them too, but I heard such a commotion and saw our next door neighbor was pointing at them and screaming SHUT UP SHUT UP YOU SHUT UP

I calmly tried to tell her they dont know what that word ---shut up--- means and she would not even let me finish - she called them aggressive, said they were about to jump the fence on her and were growling. ALL of which , lets say in the least bit were even true, WHY would you point your finger and shout so loud at their faces between the fence.

Our dogs are 9 months 1.5 yrs. THey are service dogs in training - so they go out in public everyday, without incident, unless you consider trying to get petted when they are not supposed to an aggressive move. (kidding)
So yes they are submissive by far, compared to a lot of dogs and gentle and loving.

Please can anyone tell me how to train the dogs to not bark at those neighbors whenever they see them - by the fence but to still bark at someone who would be close to the fence or even enter it ??

BTW the neighbor lambasted me too tonite- saying I should be ashamed of myself. My idea was and I dont know if she or the family will work on this with me . I was hoping to have someone walk along the perimiter of the fence on their side and treat the dogs, work with them on the quiet command, but I dont know if she will give us permission. Also she was screaming so bad at the dogs and at me, I think she really really stressed the dogs out...like its ingrained in my mind how she acted, I dont know how it effected them.

So bear with me here but we love our dogs and I worry she or the family will do something really terrible to the dogs.

A little history:

Her family complained to our neighbors across the street for using a leaf blower at 5 pm on fathers day saying it disturbed their dinner. They scream at anyone in the neighborhood who decided to take any trees down in their own yard. They complain about any neighbors who use gas powered tools. If one of our dog lets out a few barks she puts a note in our mailbox.Actually we get blamed and sometimes its not our dogs.

So while no one in the immediate neighborhood likes them =we have to live next to them and I dont want anything to happen to these dogs. The three dogs are for children with special needs and do a great job.

please offer advice we will try anything

thanks
leesha
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Apr 29 5:57 am

Dog Health > Can dogs learn to fake pain to avoid

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 2:14pm PST 
Hello
we have a dog who is under two years old. SHe has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia and the start of some arthritis. IN return we had a surgery to help the hip and also tried stem cell therapy.

She spends a lot of time on the couch and she seems to be in pain.

I guess I can't figure out if she is faking it so to speak or really is in pain that much of the time so lets say 70% of her awake day.

I completely understand she is in pain sometimes, but I don't know if she can read my feelings like--hmm how are you doing? and she is feeding off of them to not get up off the couch. I mean she looks like she is in pain.

We literally have to get her off the couch - most of the time she seems fine when we get her off the couch. SOmetimes she will run around the house and play and other times she seems uncomfortable and will try to return to the couch asap .

SO if a dog gets off the couch for their favorite toy or a dog treat , but won't get off the couch otherwise...does that mean they are not in pain or just that they are more motivated?

are there other ways to tell a dog is in pain?

she is going to the vets regularly at least 1-4 times a month and they give us nsaids

thanks
little angelrainbowrainbow
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Feb 26 2:14 pm

Dogs & Travel > how can you find dog places when traveling

Barked: Fri Feb 8, '13 12:51pm PST 
thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 11 5:15 am

Dogs & Travel > how can you find dog places when traveling

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 7:49am PST 
party
we are specifically trying to find things for dogs by lake harmony
in pennsylvania but what sites online do people use to find dog friendly places

we are looking for parks and fun things for them to do while vacationing
thanksdog
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 11 5:15 am

Dog Health > Anyone had stem cell for their dog

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 9:16am PST 
we are considering stem cell therapy for our 1.5 year old dog.

can anyone tell me what is the actual process like after they get the fat taken out- are they in pain - how big is the cut to get it out?

how much recovery time is there in terms of pain those few days after

Here is her history she helps our son who has autism and downs syndrome. She calms him down and gives him deep pressure, she makes sure he doesnt wander too far away, she kisses him when he is having meltdowns. She is the sweetest dog and she doesnt want to sit around she loves to help him.

She is a beagle lab mix and had to have a hip ostectomy at 5months old. Both hips have dysplasia and early arthritis. SHe used to sit on the couch and cry as a puppy some days.
its hard for her to get around.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 12:10 pm

Dog Health > Femoral head ostectomy (didnt work) any ideas to help a puppy?

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 7:37pm PST 
Hello
we have an 11month old puppy . Her hips were both bad when xrayed at 5 months old. Arthritis begining on left hip and dysplasia on both hips. The puppy was in so much pain she would sit on the couch and whimper.
We couldnt afford a hip replacement and she was past the point of the surgery that could be done in the early stages. SO we did the FHO . She is a little better but still is in pain.

The worst part is she is working to be with our son who has autism and multiple disabilities. She was training to help him and is used to being by his side and going out places with him.

Right now the vet is trying tramadol and nsaids but said he doesnt know what to do if the FHO SURGERY didnt work he has never had this problem before.

has anyone every had the FHO NOT WORK?
again she is just a puppy at 11 months old so I want her to have a pain free or as little as possible lifetime

thank you
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Koby, Aug 16 5:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > mobility service dogs Delay Neuter growth issues?

Barked: Sun May 6, '12 12:09pm PST 
I am so confused about the info out there.
We are looking at a larger dog for mobility but it is a male puppy.

I dont know what males will do when they are in heat-I have only had females. I assume males in puberty are harder to train during that time and highly distractable ??

If a dog is going to be a large breed anyway does anyone know if the research shows that it will make the dog significantly smaller if that dog is neutered at 4-6 month range as opposed to 1-2 years?

Also does it slow down when you can start the mobility training if you speuter it early?
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Thor CGC, May 20 3:05 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > mobility service dogs Delay Neuter growth issues?

Barked: Sun May 6, '12 12:09pm PST 
I am so confused about the info out there.
We are looking at a larger dog for mobility but it is a male puppy.

I dont know what males will do when they are in heat-I have only had females. I assume males in puberty are harder to train during that time and highly distractable ??

If a dog is going to be a large breed anyway does anyone know if the research shows that it will make the dog significantly smaller if that dog is neutered at 4-6 month range as opposed to 1-2 years?

Also does it slow down when you can start the mobility training if you speuter it early?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 6 12:09 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.