Postings by Ruby's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

Senior Dogs > Best Supplements for Arthritis (Small & Medium Senior Dogs)
Ruby

I'm a lover not- a fighter

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 3:32pm PST 
Hi Dogsters,
Can anyone chime in for recs as to the best arthritis supplements for a small senior Pom mix and a medium sized Lab mix?

I'm looking for something with glucosamine, chondroitin, preferably green mussel, MSM and or just glucosamine HCL & chondroitin.

Also, the following supplement brands according to dogaware.com are not good:
Dogswell Happy Hips Chicken Breast with Glucosamine and Chondroitin contained almost none of the claimed glucosamine and chondroitin.
Joint Complete for Dogs and Cats (Liquid Solutions) contained far less chondroitin than it claims.
Joint Max Regular Strength capsules (Pet Health Solutions) contained far less chondroitin than it claims.This product also failed the same test in 2007.
K-9 Liquid Health Glucosamine with Chondroitin and MSM contained almost no chondroitin.
BioGenesis Nutraceuticals ArthroGenX contained almost no chondroitin and was contaminated with lead.
Joint Strength Essentials (MegaFood) contained no chondroitin and was contaminated with lead.
Source Naturals Sodium Free Glucosamine Sulfate Powder was contaminated with lead.
Estroven Joint and Bone (Amerifit Nutrition) was contaminated with lead.

Thanks,
Ruby and Romm
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Dusty, Jul 6 6:42 pm

Food & Nutrition > Need Food Brand Recs - 2 Dogs with Recurring Anal Gland Issues!
Ruby

Barked: Thu Apr 26, '12 1:53am PST 
We've been rotated on high quality grain-free dry and wet food since we were adopted by Meowm.

Ruby is a senior pup, and she has had anal gland issues for the last year. Meowm has to take her every 2 weeks to the vet (she won't let us do this on our own), and the AG is no longer able to empty out on w/ manual assistancefrown She's got a heart murmur so surgery for anal gland removal is not an option.

Now our younger pup Bella (only 4 yrs old) is suddenly having anal gland issues. Mom has a really tough time taking them both, and she won't be able to go as often once she's back at work not to mention the cost!

Can anyone recommend food or brand recommendations that helped dogs with anal gland impaction issues?

Neither of our dogs seem to have food or grain allergies.

The only change that happened recently was they started eating Taste of the Wild Venison dry food (wet food is same - Merrick Before Grain tripe).

Also, we have not been allowed to walk them this past year b/c our other pup RomBom has a serious immune-mediated disorder. He's on high dose immune suppressants so a mere spore could kill him, and we're doing our best to reduce his exposure to outside spores, bacteria, etc.

Please advice if your dog has had anal gland issues, and what foods/brands worked or did not work!

Thanks,
Ruby and Fambam

Thanks in advance!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Angel Zane, May 6 6:10 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Links to Get Started on Home Cooking!

Ruby

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 3:41am PST 
Hi Dogsters,
Thanks for the home cooking links & suggestions! Mom considered raw, but aside from the difficulty of doing it correctly, both of us seniors have serious immune-related issues that make raw diet unsafe for us as per several vets. She also has her kitties to think of, and home cooking may be easier for them too down the line (first she's starting with us dogs, since we'll eat just about anythingsmile

Mom wants us to try home cooking to see if she can provide something better than commercial food.

She is currently feeding us grain-free wet & dry, Merrick, Evangers, and Taste of the Wild. She already spends so much $ feeding us the best grain-free foods, why not home cook and provide them with better nutrition?

Ruu Crew
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 27 8:43 am

Food & Nutrition > Fiber Supplement? Please help!

Ruby

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 1:54am PST 
Ruby has the same issues, but the Benefiber has not helped her with this problem. The powder is too fine in my opinion to do the job right.

She's doing much better on canned pumpkin though!

Doc also recommended green beans, carrots.

Also important to exercise her regularly if you cansmile

Grain-free is great for dogs, but they can and do digest some carbs too as they are not obligate carnivores like cats.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Mar 7 4:41 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Links to Get Started on Home Cooking!

Ruby

Barked: Thu Mar 1, '12 1:49am PST 
Hi Dogsters,

I'd like to get started on home cooking for my dogs, two of which are seniorssmile

Please send any links or recommended books so our Mom can learn how to do this properly for us!

She thought about using the pre-mixes from SOJO's where you just add meat, but the 2 seniors have heart murmurs and these tend to have high salt and sodium contentfrown

Thanks,
Ru Crew
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Mar 27 8:43 am

Food & Nutrition > Kirkland dry dog food at Costco
Romulus

Veni vidi vici!

Barked: Sun Feb 5, '12 10:43pm PST 
Costco carries grain-free dog (and now cat) dry, but it is seafood based...

Great price though, first ingredient is a "meal" type, so comparable in quality to Canidae, CA Natural, not the highest end grain-free foods like Evo, Nature's Variety Instinct, etc which has meat as the first ingredient.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Khloe, Feb 24 12:33 pm

Food & Nutrition > Anyone Tried Dehydrated or Freeze-Dried Food? Liked it? Hated it?

Bella

Bella Boom Boom- Loves to Vroom- Vroom~

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 3:13pm PST 
We are currently on grain-free wet & dry, but Mom is interested in switching us to dehydrated or freeze-dried (homecooked- adding meat) type foods (Honest Kitchen, Sojos, ZiWi Peak, etc.)

Does anyone know if its truly nutritionally balanced for dogs?

Do dogs digest it well?

Two of us are seniors, one of us has a rare auto immune disorder, and the other has a history of recurring tumors. We both have heart murmurs too.

Mom simply cannot do pure raw food diets.

Thanks in advance!

Bella, Ruby and Rommie's Mom
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Adam, Dec 8 2:45 pm

Dog Health > Anyone have experience with Anemia in Senior Dog?

Romulus

Veni vidi vici!

Barked: Thu Jun 2, '11 12:29am PST 
I had an emergency today-- I collapsed after walking around, lethargic, but still eating. I was rushed to the vet today, CBC blood panel showed very low RBC and WBC count. I'm getting a blood transfusion tmrw, , and I got my B-12 shot, Baytril injection, cortisteroid injections too.

I'm still eating, moving around, acting normal except for sudden collapse of my legs from fatigue today.

Does anyone have experience in pinpointing & treating anemia in dogs?

There appear to be 3 possibilities:

A tiny curvature in the thorax region (lymphoma is possible but no visible tumor or mass, also he's eating just fine/drinking normally)

immune mediated anemia (40% mortality rate and requires aggressive cortisone therapy)

aplastic blood cell anemia (affecting bone marrow, and more treatble than the above 2)

Any feedback wd be appreciated, Meowm spent the entire day at the vet, taking me to another for a 2nd opinion, getting me blood, etc.

Please help...

R
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by (retired)minister misty, Jun 2 12:54 am

Dog Health > Chronic Anal Gland Problems- Out of Solutions

Ruby

Barked: Tue Apr 26, '11 1:38pm PST 
Thanks for the ideas everyone! Gonna ask the vet about
Panalogsmile

My vet said flushing may not cure the problem, same with the
removal of the glands so I'm looking for a non-surgical way
to help her.

She is on grain free wet and dry food and never had anal gland issues until
a few months ago. About 6 mos ago we started adding
warm water to her food bc she had oxalate crystals which
subsequently cleared. We stopped with the extra water since then and
I don't think the two are related....
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Milton, Apr 26 2:01 pm

Dog Health > Chronic Anal Gland Problems- Out of Solutions
Ruby

Barked: Mon Apr 25, '11 4:05pm PST 
I have had a chronic anal gland infection for the last 6-7 weeks. Every week I go to the vet and he has to express me bc one gland is blocked, the other is infected. He had me on Ciproflaxin and Clavamox and it's not working. Every week we go back, it only gets a tiny bit better and the infection and blockage don't clear.

He said he could flush out the area but that means more anesthesia. Mom wants to avoid this as I have been under way too
often lately for a dental, then my tumor.

If anyone has ideas other than flushing or complete sac
removal pls let us know.

We have tried adding benefiber, walkin me more, but it
has not worked....

Thanks!

Ruby
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Milton, Apr 26 2:01 pm

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.