Postings by Mali's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 40: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Puppy Place > Desperate for help with house breaking puppy
Button

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '14 10:42am PST 
I have always had BIG dogs, Button was my first small dog and I was not prepared for how much longer it would take to house train him.
I started training him to pup papers, the cheapest ones I could find. When he went on the paper I made a big deal out of it, like Santa was coming kinds of Big deal.

I also named what I wanted him to do, “Potty” by saying the name repeatedly every time he went on the paper and every time I caught him doing it outside.
My reason for this is so he will learn to go when I ask him to, for traveling, rainy, or very hot or cold days.

Once he got that idea, I moved the paper close to the door.. so we would notice when he went to use them and take him right out.

Still this took a lot longer than with my BIG dogs. Button was close to 5 months before he was regular, and even then there was an accident every now and then.

He turned 1 year in March and now he is totally house trained. Small/tiny dogs are harder on the hole from what I have heard from breeders.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Button, Thu 10:42 am

Small Dogs > Crusty Teeth At Only 1 Year- Advice?
Button

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '14 10:27am PST 
Button like all of my dogs is raw fed. None of them have any problems with tarter on their teeth. The big girls (except one who will be 4)are all 6 years old with very white teeth.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Button, Thu 10:27 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Small, Quiet low shedder...

Button

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '14 10:05am PST 
I own a Papillon. He is all of 6 pounds. He barks to alert but does not bark otherwise. Part of not having a dog bark a lot falls on the owner. I have 4 giant breed dogs and my Pap in the house. None of them bark except for alerting. It has never been allowed.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Button, Thu 10:05 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Teenage Angst

Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 7:21pm PST 
Happy hit the nail on the head... ride through it. They don't last forever... though the larger the breed the longer they tend to last.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mali, Sep 5 7:21 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Which Side?

Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Thu Sep 5, '13 9:10am PST 
Mali is trained to heel on both left and right side. I use the word “heel” for the left and “right side” for heeling on the right side. As of late she has mostly been on my right side as I have a torn labrum in my left shoulder.

Button is so far only learning left side, but will learn both sides as well, when
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bailey (Dr. Bubba) TD CGC , Sep 7 9:12 am

Small Dogs > Apartment Potty Options
Button

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 8:12am PST 
I put Button in his crate when he is left at home. There is nothing the matter with putting them in the bathroom when you are gone, it sounds like you make sure they are quite comfortable.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by The Wee Beasties, Sep 13 6:48 pm

Small Dogs > Am I Being Paranoid?

Button

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 8:02am PST 
I have a toy dog a Papillion and I also have 4 dogs that are all over 100 pounds. I would not bring any of them to a dog park. I learned a long time ago before I got my Papillion it is not safe for dos at dog parks when I just had my big girls, you can never trust what kind of dog might come into the park. The size of a dog has little to do with how stable, socialized or trained it is. It also has nothing to do with what its owner is like.

Instead I take my pack of dogs to a doggie day camp, where in order to go all the dogs have been tested for temperament before they can join the group. They all have to be up on their shots be and be on some kind of flea treatment. Dogs that are in heat are not welcome and neither are dogs that live in a home with dogs that are in heat until the cycle is over.

If the weather gets to hot or cold there is an inside facility where they can play for part of the day and there is fresh water for both playing in and drinking. They are supervised at all times… by trained professionals.

At doggie day camp they make friends and as an extension of day camp we make play dates with their friends for other adventures at parks, hikes, and home visits. For my larger girls there have become more play dates and less doggie day camp since they have made so many friends. My Papillion has only been at doggie day camp for a month now… but has earned the name Mr. Popular.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Sep 8 8:55 am

Puppy Place > New Puppy

Button

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 9:26pm PST 
I became 12 weeks old just a couple of days ago... whats this I hear you are not to bite???
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Elaine, Jun 3 3:35 pm

Puppy Place > Helping or Curing Diarrhea (After the vet visit of course)

Button

Barked: Sun Jun 2, '13 9:23pm PST 
You can order pure pumpkin on line and have it shipped to you. Other than that the vet will have something they can give you to help slow the problem and will possibly also give the pup some liquids sub-Q if need be. You can try chicken broth and rice too.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Button, Jun 2 9:23 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How do you address your service dog
Mali

Mali Woo

Barked: Tue May 21, '13 12:00pm PST 
Just recently I was in Walmart with Mali and we were walking in a large group of people, Mali has an affinity for infants. Across the crowd a baby started to cry, she lifted her head to try and see through the crowd and why the baby was crying. I told her to mind her business. A man we were passing got very angry with me because he was sure I had told him to mind his business. No amount of talking could sooth him so I told him sorry and walked off.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jun 29 9:41 am

(Page 1 of 40: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.