Postings by Lilly's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Golden Retriever > Taking My Goldie To College?
Lilly

Barked: Sat Nov 12, '11 8:40am PST 
I guess my question would be, how far are you from home? If you're not far, why not try it for a week trial run and see how it goes? You should probably pick a normal week, with no mid-terms or anything else out of the ordinary as your trial week. This would be the only way for you to know for sure if this will work.

My gut reaction, though, is that both you and your dog will be happier if you leave things the way they are. Dogs are a huge responsibility, especially big dogs, and do you really want to tie yourself down in this way during the 4-5 years of your life when you should be free to experience life and people fully? And do you think that you won't be distracted sitting in class worrying about how your dog is doing home alone in an apartment? I'd bet you are probably paying good money to put yourself through school...taking care of a big dog's needs at this time would be a distraction from your schoolwork, studying, and might rule out an extracurriculuar activities.

Also, even with a lot of on- and off-campus places to roam, you know in your heart that an apartment is not adequate lodging for a big dog like a Golden. They need space!

I would say keep the dog at home and come visit on weekends. Then, once you finish college and have your own place (preferrably with a big backyard), you can move your Golden in with you!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kasey(Imissyou), Mar 27 6:15 am

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier > Idiosyncracies of Sweet Pea
Lilly

Barked: Tue Aug 9, '11 12:18pm PST 
All of these things sound familiar. Most Wheatens bark sparingly, though ours has gotten a little more vocal in the last year or so. Lilly is also deathly afraid of the vacuum cleaner or other loud noises. My wife and I like to watch movies downstairs after the kids go to bed, and we have surround sound...she doesn't like that so much, and rarely hangs out with us downstairs anymore.

I feed Lilly twice a day (morning and night) and she usually always eats at least once, but rarely does she eat both times. Rarely does she not eat at least once. She seems to prefer to eat around 5 PM, and then if she eats again, she'll eat around 9-10. I keep her food out all day, so she can eat as she pleases....
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Annie, Nov 4 9:35 am

Golden Retriever > Things I should know about Goldens....

Lilly

Barked: Wed Sep 8, '10 2:04pm PST 
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, this did not work out. We did not have adequate time to introduce the two dogs, and they did not get along at all. Horrible dog fights that at one point resulted in a relative getting her arm mangled. We have little kids, so we just could not put them in harm's way. I wish we would have had more time to really get the dogs adjusted to each other, but unfortunately not. The golden did go to a good family in the end, so I guess it just was not meant to be.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Sep 23 9:38 pm

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier > Where are all you Wheaties out there???

Lilly

Barked: Wed Sep 8, '10 1:58pm PST 
Everyone that has met our Wheaten loves her and wants to get one of their own. So this weekend there was one FREE TO A GOOD HOME Wheaten in the paper and two in the pound. I sent this info to all of our Wheaten-wanting friends, but all 3 dogs went really fast. Like in hours. So they are in demand, especially when they're free or low-cost to adopt.

I think many people are most attracted to the non-shedding thing. It certainly is nice to have a non-anklebiter dog (sorry if I am offending anyone) who doesn't shed. A dog you can roughouse with in the yard and guys like me can take on walks and not be embarassed...haha!

I can't speak for all Wheatens, but our is such a friendly dog, and so, so good with our kids (who are very young). Pretty much the perfect family dog....
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Molly, Jan 5 5:53 pm

Golden Retriever > Things I should know about Goldens....

Lilly

Barked: Thu Jul 15, '10 8:59am PST 
Hi,

It came to my attention this morning that a friend's brother is looking for a home for his 1-year-old Golden. I have always been interested in this breed, and am considering adopting this dog. We will of course have to meet the dog and socialize her with our dog and see how that goes, but just looking for some tips or factoids from owners.

We have a 1-year-old Wheaten terrier and two children aged 6 and 2. My wife is a teacher so she's home during the summer. We both work full-time during the school year.

I try to take Lilly on a long walk once a day or at the very least every other day, and would do the same for the new dog. Lilly gets along really well with other animals.

One thing I am a little wary of is the shedding. Wheatens don't shed at all, and I'm kind of a clean freak.

Let me know what I should know before getting this Golden.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 23 9:38 pm

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier > Help! My Wheaten is destroying our house!
Lilly

Barked: Mon Mar 1, '10 4:21pm PST 
Almost six months later, and this has stopped almost completely. We stopped taking the mini Pinscher (what a horrible dog that was) and she gets lots more attention, and have chew bones on hand at all times. I think this was more of a puppy thing than anything.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I do walk Lilly every day the other three seasons of the year (sometimes multiple times) but it's been really difficult with the worst Iowa winter ever....luckily she gets lots of attention and play time (albeit indoors) and a huge backyard to run around in when she can tolerate the cold. Can't wait for nicer weather!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lilly, Mar 1 4:21 pm

Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier > Help! My Wheaten is destroying our house!

Lilly

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 1:35pm PST 
Thanks for your suggestions. This has gotten a lot better. We are making sure she's getting a lot of exercise and plenty of attention. Plus, we don't leave her alone for extended periods of time.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lilly, Mar 1 4:21 pm

Golden Retriever > Should I get a Golden?

Lilly

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 1:31pm PST 
One more thing I wanted to add....the deal-breaker (or maker) was that Goldens shed a lot. I'm a pretty neat person, and didn't like the idea of having to vacuum every single day. Wheatens barely shed at all......
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by ♥ Babe ♥, Nov 26 3:52 pm

Lilly

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 1:30pm PST 
Sounds like our situation a year ago....these are two of the three breeds I had it narrowed down to, also (the other was an Australian Shepherd).

I was a little worried about the poodle appearance as well...I didn't want a dog that I would be embarassed to be seen walking down the street. Haha. Turns out, it has never been an issue. It's all in the grooming...you tell the groomer what you want and that's what you'll get. Besides, these dogs are so far from poodles it isn't funny.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by ♥ Babe ♥, Nov 26 3:52 pm

Lilly

Barked: Fri Oct 30, '09 11:04pm PST 
I have had a Wheaten Terrier for almost a year now, and she is a great dog. While it's true that she's not as huge as a Golden would be, she is definitely a big dog, and you'll notice that especially if you have Shi Tzus. We have two sets of friends with Tzus, and our Wheaten loves playing with them when they come over. I also know a few people with Shi Tzus and Wheatens both, and they make great companions for each other.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a Golden...I've never had one and I'd not be posting here if I wasn't interested in them too, but I ultimately went with a Wheaten and she's the best dog I've ever had.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by ♥ Babe ♥, Nov 26 3:52 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.