Postings by Cookie's Family

GO!

Rat Terrier > Constant licking of feet

Cookie

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 2:53pm PST 
Woof!

I have the same problem a few times a year, although it's not just my feet-it's also my legs and stomach. My vet says it is because of allergies. A few times a year I have to get a steriod shot (which makes me pee a lot). I've been told that a lot of ratties have problems with allergies. My food has been changed to a prescribed hypoallergenic dog food, which has really made me feel better. Hope you feel better too!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 28 8:00 pm

Rat Terrier > Constant licking of feet
Cookie

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 2:53pm PST 
Woof!

I have the same problem a few times a year, although it's not just my feet-it's also my legs and stomach. My vet says it is because of allergies. A few times a year I have to get a steriod shot (which makes me pee a lot). I've been told that a lot of ratties have problems with allergies. My food has been changed to a prescribed hypoallergenic dog food, which has really made me feel better. Hope you feel better too!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Aug 28 8:00 pm

Rat Terrier > Suggestions

Cookie

Barked: Tue May 27, '08 2:48pm PST 
Hi Tanya!

Congratulations on your new pet! We've had our rattie, Cookie, for over 10 years. I've had dogs all my life, all rescues and strays. The best advice I can give you is to live your life normally, keep a very predictable routine with your dog. Feed her, walk her, play with her, sit with her at the same time every day. Don't offer too much "protecting" if she gets spooked or upset, or she will come to expect that and will not be able to get over things by herself. It will take her time go get used to being an actual pet. She will grow to learn that she can depend on you, and will grow to trust you, and you will see new things about her personality every day. I strongly suggest taking her to a trainer, as she definitely sounds as if she's not been socialized to be around people in a positive way. Good luck, be patient, give her lots of love!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 6 5:04 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.