Postings by Kaylee's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 53: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Everyone is fading from this board...
Kaylee

Wag more, bark- less!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 11:27pm PST 
Frankly, I got tired of people using the board as a personal journal, the bad grammar, and the inability to say anything the least bit critical without being frozen.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 23 12:07 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Alternate Breeds for Service Work
Kaylee

Wag more, bark- less!

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 11:26pm PST 
Happy's already posted a realy good post about finding good breeders, so I thought I'd be a little more specific.

One thing about the breeds you've picked is that I don't really seem much of a theme beyond rarity. I think you need to very carefully consider what it is that you need in a dog as far as training goes.

I've addressed how I feel about Husky SDs in this thread - http://www.dogster.com/forums/Service_and_Therapy_Dogs/thread/722645 - and I should also add that since I wrote that, Jack has washed out of training. He's a WONDERFUL dog, and he's doing great in sports (admittedly, not obedience - but he's having a blast in dock dogs and lure coursing) and we may do therapy work- but he's just not got the work ethic it takes.

There are a number of people with Chessies as service dogs out there and they can be a good choice IF you have the right Chessie. There are a lot of downright weird temperaments in the breed, and as a 'protective retriever' there's some pretty weird stuff accepted as 'normal' behavior that *I* would call bad temperament.

I've only met three curlycoated retrievers. Based on those three, I just couldn't recommend them. Flighty, flakey, lovely dogs, but they were like an even sillier flatcoat. I'd also be very concerned about health. I think if you like curly, you'd be better off finding a well bred standard poodle or portie. Yes, you have to clip them, but you'd have a LOT more options for breeders who DO stuff with their dogs (although msot curly people do apparently hunt. YMMV).

Rotties, we've got rottie folks on the board and hopefully some of them will speak up. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 21 5:20 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Force Free Training

Kaylee

Wag more, bark- less!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '13 2:09pm PST 
The most important thing, if you're committed to force free training with your puppy is to find a VERY good trainer to workw ith you in person. You need someone who has trained with these methods to a very high level (preferably service dogs or competition obedience).

A great deal of avoiding any corrections in training (other than NRMs) is to set dogs up to succeed by NOT putting them in a situation where they will get to practice incorrect behaviors. A good FFT will help you do the set ups you need to get lots of practice with slowly increasing distractions and encourage you to move forawrd, without overfacing your dog. Having a trainer (objective third party) who can also make sure you're acounntable and truly ready to be a fully trained SD team is also really important, especially if you're not a super experienced trainer yourself.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jan 25 11:53 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Animal Registry of America (SARA)

Kaylee

Wag more, bark- less!

Barked: Wed Dec 5, '12 9:53am PST 
Yup - but if you've got a trainer who's comfortable giving a pbulic access test, an affadavit and certification from them is not an unreasonable request. I do this for the teams I work with, if they want it.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Dec 29 1:58 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Is this a legit reason for a service dog?

Jack

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 4:16pm PST 
I'd also throw out there - 10 months out from a broken femur? You're goign to be really surprised what comes back and what doesn't. smile Give it time!

Cait (who broke her femur in 2001)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jack, Aug 15 4:16 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Therapy Dogs Must be certified. Right?
Jack

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Barked: Tue Jan 24, '12 3:31am PST 
What everybody else said. party

Indy did therapy visits years ago for a local nursing home- at the time, our local program that went through one of the big national orgs (I don't remember which one- it's been like 8 years!) wouldn't certify dogs that were intact and Indy was still being shown. We called around and found a local nursing home that was willing to have a dog visit just based on interviews and a handler who was willing to go through their regular volunteer orientation. YMMV smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by CH Snowy, CGC, TDI, HC, HIC, Nov 19 11:43 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Where to find inexpensive backpacks.

Jack

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 7:10pm PST 
I love my ruffwear packs, but for cheapies, the Petco ones really aren't bad. neoprene just wears out FAST. I *do* like the easier on/offness of them - the ruffwear has better-quality hardware that's harder to do and undo. party
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jan 16 1:05 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Where to find inexpensive backpacks.

Jack

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 5:07pm PST 
Petco also sells a "Dickens Closet" backpack that's about $15. It's less adjustable than the outward hound ones but IMO, it's better designed.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jan 16 1:05 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > New person-best breeds for south/hot service dog work

Jack

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 4:57pm PST 
Definitely not a husky - See the other thread about husky SDs- or a Flatcoat - http://asdbymyside.blogspot.com/2007/12/for-record-general-use-of-fl at-coats-as.html

Both are fun breeds, but tehre's REASONS that you don't see many huskies doing complicated obedience routines or flatcoats in anything but dedicated hunting and sports homes.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Jan 17 10:11 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Vest/cape sources?
Jack

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 9:48pm PST 
I'm not a huge fan of Raspberry fields because I hate their shipping policies, but Hmm. May end up with them.

Argh. Hate spending money!

(Also, okay, I admit it, I'm shallow. All of Kaylee's stuff is purple. party Jack looks awful in purple.)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Zoe, Dec 31 11:23 am

(Page 1 of 53: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.