Postings by Bouncer's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Behavior & Training > I just dont understand my dog sometimes.
Bowser

squeak em if you- got em

Barked: Sun Sep 29, '13 8:52pm PST 
Ok so, im more ranting rather than asking advise, but input is welcome.

i got bowser at the shelter 7 years ago as a puppy with an unknown background and unknown parents. over the years we have just settled with the fact that he is some kind of rottweiler or Shepard mix. He is smart, trainable, and extremely protective of me and his things. Despite being raised with other animals, he generally dislikes them aside from our other dog, Tucker. He instant loved Tucker (a large breed neutered male) the first time meeting him but has growled at many other dogs before, including sweet, submissive females. he hates the cats, even though he was raised with them.

I thought i did everything by the book when raising Bowser. He was crate trained at an early age, walked every day, taken to different places and handled by nice people. He even went to work with me every day for months when he was young. He got neutered at 5 months and just about everything else in vet care a dog should get. we went to puppy class, doggie daycare, and even a trainer. After he hit about two years old i had to stop taking him places because he was unpredictable. But Bowser is, simply put, a jerk.

90% of the time he is fine, and on walks he dosnt pull and ignores everyone but me. I even walk him in a simple buckle collar. His recall is pretty good and he knows basic commands. I am about the only person he respects.

He dosnt show active aggression but rather will sometimes growl when someone comes up and touches him. This is has been something hes done all his life and trust me, ive had every test and check up at the vet done over the years. its behavioral. He was handled very gently as a pup by my vet and other nice people, and of course i can handle him no problem. But now he has to be muzzled for vet visits and its very embarrassing.

As long as strangers don't approach him and touch him, hes fine. he dosnt bark, growl, raise his hackles, or do any other aggressive gesture. he just stands there relaxed. Often, he will come up to strangers and want petted and is fine. But since he does sometimes growl, i just generally put him away when people come over or make him sit when strangers are close by.

he also hates it when anyone touches me, or hugs me. He whines and shoves his way between. I then generally say "no, go lay down" and he moves away and lays down without a fuss. He dosnt growl or act mean but shows his disapproval by whining and loudly sighing.

I feel like i failed raising him but im just not sure what i could have done differently. I love Bowser to death. I have many great memories of us roaming the state parks together, wading in the rivers, and just hanging out. ive accepted the fact that he is a one person dog, but i wish everyone knew how hard i worked when he was growing up to make sure he was a well rounded animal. it just didn't work out. Maybe its just whatever breed he is.

shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Chandler, Oct 5 5:50 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Using the sperm of deceased dogs
Bowser

squeak em if you- got em

Barked: Mon May 13, '13 10:04pm PST 
i think we should be more worried about the blatant breeding of unhealthy dogs than using frozen sperm. not suggesting anyone here does this or people who use frozen sperm does this. Just pointing out that if it helps get healthy puppies out of a bitch, im all for it. I am all for healthy breeds.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M, May 21 10:18 pm

Behavior & Training > Just Needed To Rant...

Tucker

I would very- much like the- ball.

Barked: Fri Apr 19, '13 9:01pm PST 
i feel your pain. When i brought tucker home from the pound within that week he chewed up a 50 dollar bra, a bottle of nail polish (complete with mess all over floor) and a dollar bill. He pee'd everywhere and ran away twice. hes calmed down now that he has another dog to pal around with. but man, i ready to kill him.

i tried a treat ball. Tucker couldn't figure it out and gave up. i tried a kong, but tucker was erm...to simple to figure out that one as well. lol.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Apr 21 12:06 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > i know someone who wants to breed dogs. dont know what to tell them

Bowser

squeak em if you- got em

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 7:09pm PST 
they dont care about cost, they have money to blow
they dont think the puppies will end up in shelters because there purebred.
they think its okay because her stud dog is a "good dog" and purebred.

I dont forsee anything i say to change there mind. I guess i mainly posted it just to rant. They really think it will all be great. Im pretty sure the female will get knocked up by the dog down the street since the dogs are allways loose. or they will get hit by a car. The last dog they bred was a mutt and i guess they think it was fun to have the puppies. Even though one was run over, the mother got run over, the stud dog pee'd all over everything, and god only knows what happend to the other puppies.

In my state there is no law about breeding. they dont live in the city so nothings illegal. Its pretty hopeless and it makes me sad. They really just dont care and dont think there is anything wrong with it. This is normal around here, there are so many ads for puppies.

im hoping to try to talk them into spaying the puppies before adoption but i doubt that will happen.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Teeko, May 14 10:44 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Hoping to adopt a wolfdog

Bowser

squeak em if you- got em

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 11:35am PST 
wolves are not pets. I dont think you understand that it would be a terrible idea. even low content wolf-dogs. my neighbor had one and it howled all night and ran away 24/7. it had zero interest in being a family member and it eventually ran off for good one day.

adopt a shelter dog instead. there is a reason we have worked hard to tame wolves and make them into dogs. wolves make terrible pets.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Milton, Mar 29 10:54 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > i know someone who wants to breed dogs. dont know what to tell them
Bowser

squeak em if you- got em

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 11:19am PST 
What do you say to someone who is planning on being a backyard breeder? they live in la la land where the puppies will find great homes and everything will be sunshine and flowers.

this person knows nothing about breeding. the dogs came from backyard breeders themselves.I wish they wouldnt do this because it goes back everything ive worked for. there are way to many shelter dogs in this area. but they assume "purebreds" will never be abused or turn up in a shelter and dont seem to care at all. its so frustrating.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Teeko, May 14 10:44 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > dealing with expectations.

Tucker

Barked: Thu Oct 18, '12 10:03pm PST 
I have finally found Tuckers solution to his problem and that it another dog. I had my mom watch him for a while at her place with our other dog to see if Tuckers nervousness would resolve. I think it has helped a ton. Our other dog is cool and calm, and by example, has taught Tucker to be too. He dosnt pee anymore but still will run away. He and the other dog play 24/7. I decided to let him stay there because its better for everyone. My mom recently lost her oldest dog, and the younger dog was depressed from being alone. Now both dogs are happy and doing better.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxie CGC, TDI, Oct 21 12:07 pm

Dog Health > Vet won't sell Rx food without exam for healthy pet

Bowser

squeak em if you- got em

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 5:45am PST 
BTW, there is a "Catster" board you can vist, i would be happy to explain more on feline diet. You might get less of a cold reception there.

I think charging someone an exam fee then selling them crap RX food is wrong. This is not saying that exams are wrong. Ideally pets should see a vet once a year. but times are tough and i understand that. Ive been raked over the coals too by vets because i wanted "the best" for my pets. I was a sucker. I educated myself and found a great vet who i vist with my pets once a year or when they are sick, nd get treatment they need.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Aug 12 4:04 pm

Dog Health > Vet won't sell Rx food without exam for healthy pet

Bowser

squeak em if you- got em

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 5:37am PST 
personally, i think RX foods are garbage and a waste of money. They do no real testing and there is no substantial data supporting the claims these "diets" make. Vets make a tidy profit of the food and they buy into the propaganda Hills tells them (when i was in vet tech school, all of our nutrition books were written by Hills Science Diet) they teach vet students that this "RX" food is without question "the best" for pets without any explanation as to why.

Having said that, health exams are important for all pets. You should gets those. Rabies shots are required by law, but i dont think vets should push them on people who dont want them.

Most illnesses that plague cats can be fixed by simply feeding a low carb, hi animal protein diet canned food. I am happy to give anyone more info on this in a PM since this is a dog board. but a low carb high protein diet dosn't have to be expensive. If your pet is fat, RX food most likly will NOT help. I fed my pet a diet food and all the fiber almost killed her by blocking her colon.

Ditch the RX food and find a vet who dosn't push that crap. RX food is just another money maker for the pet food company
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Aug 12 4:04 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > dealing with expectations.
Tucker

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 12:23am PST 
A belly band is a great idea. We have really done everything we can about the peeing, so i think a belly band will at least save my house from smelling like urine.

Hes gotten a lot better about being scared of everything. I was just really having a bad day...week..MONTH with him. Im ashamed to admit i even almost took him back to the pound...well, idk. i thought about it, but i never made any real attempt to put that plan in motion.

It can be a bit unnerving when hes constantly pacing from room to room like im going to leave him forever, but acts like a total moron when hes outside and wont stay near me. I really love taking my dogs off leash to the parks and to the lake nd we arn't able to do that.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Maxie CGC, TDI, Oct 21 12:07 pm

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.