GO!

(Page 1 of 58: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > itchy ears, nose and paws
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Why sit when you- could lie down?

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '14 10:48am PST 
Bump

Also, is there a way to get rid of the "watch ----- for free" post it or am I the only one bothered by it?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali, Mar 15 5:42 pm

Dog Health > itchy ears, nose and paws
Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Fri Mar 14, '14 6:19pm PST 
My brother's dog is having some issues. He has been scratching his ears and licking his paws and nose bloody. My parents took him to the vet who said allergies and gave them steroids and allergy pills. They also changed his kibble from ole Roy (I know!) To wellness core ocean formula at the advise of the vet.

Its been six weeks since the first vet visit, which includes 3 weeks of steroids and allergy pills. He has been wearing an ecollar. His ears and paws are getting a little bit better, but he goes right back to scratching when the collar comes off making me think the underlying issue isn't being addressed. One would think after six weeks there would be more improvement to the symptoms.

My parents have already spent over one thousand dollars in the last 6 weeks. The vet is recommending a visit to the dermatologist and maybe steroids for the rest of his life. It makes me a little worried that they are being taken for a ride.

This is Kodi's brother, Leo that I am talking about. In case it makes a difference, Kodi is very allergic to corn, wheat and soy and to a lesser extent rice, oatmeal and barley and has been since he was a puppy. Leo has never had symptoms like this before.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali, Mar 15 5:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Bebe likes to stand over Midget's head

Bebe

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 8:42am PST 
Bebe is my first female dog. She is more of a love bug but has some definate quirks.

1. She is obsessed with moving lights. For example, if the sun reflects off of your phone and on to the ceiling she will follow it around the room and try to catch it. If it doesnt move, she will stare at it - in case it does start to move. She will also chase a laser pointer for hours. Should we be worried or try to stop this behavior?

2. She stands over Midget's head. This is the one I am most worried about. Midget is a 110lbs GSD neutered male. When he is laying on the floor, she will walk over and stand over his head with her genitals right over his nose. She will do this several times a day for upwards of an hour if I dont call her off. Why does she do this? I read that it is a dominance thing but she is uber submissive in any other situation.

3. She submissive pees - A LOT. Bring over another female, reprimand her or excited talk before she has a chance to use the bathroom and there will be a puddle. Any suggestions?

4. Midget almost obsessively likes her ears. She is the only one with ears that fold over. Should I be concerned?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bebe, Jul 28 8:42 am

Behavior & Training > How to help dog fights when its the humans causing the problems?

Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '12 12:10pm PST 
I am pretty sure that the trigger is Nanci. As we speak all four dogs are either napping or chewing on a bone in our room with us. They are within 4 feet of each other. There is no other resource guarding. Toys and bones are regularly "stolen" with no issues. There is no guarding of food. Seems like we will just have to deal.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Oct 14 2:07 pm

Behavior & Training > How to help dog fights when its the humans causing the problems?

Kodi Pie - CGC ESA

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '12 4:19pm PST 
On Thursday, Kodi got in a dog fight with our roommates dog. There were only minor injuries. It really could have been so much worse, considering they are both heavy chested strong willed pit mixes.

I dont want to push off the blame but it seems like Nancy is the trigger.

Nancy had come home a few minutes earlier and had taken Brando into her room. I was outside, taking Bebe potty and Kodi and Midget were in the kitchen eating. Nancy came back into the kitchen to grab something to eat and Brando followed her. I guess Kodi had finished eating and wandered over to them to see what was going on.

From what Nancy tells me, she opened the lower cabinet to grab something and Brando stuck his head in the cabinet. Kodi then stuck HIS head in the cabinet and Brando growled and snapped at him. Kodi snapped back and all hell broke loose. They went after each other (more sound than teeth) and Nancy just started screaming. Kodi seemed to have the upper hand. I rushed in and grabbed a hold of Kodi and pulled him off balance and he let go. At this point Brando went after Kodi and latched on to his chest. Peter, drawn by nancy’s screams, grabbed a hold of Brando and pulled him off. One stern command from Peter had Brando calmed down.

Kodi had several minor punctures on his chest and cheeks. Brando had a scrap less than the size of a dime on his chin.

I don’t want to seem like I am passing the buck, but this is only Kodi’s third fight (in 5 years) and two of them have been with Brando (in the past 3 months). The first fight was over a chicken foot. We gave the dogs a foot each and Kodi finished his first, where Brando was kind just playing with it. Kodi went up to Brando, Brando growled and snapped at him. Kodi snapped back and all hell broke loose.

I thought that we would just have to separate with high value treats, but that has proven not to be the case. The really odd thing is that if you take Nancy out of the picture, the dogs get along great. There might be a growl/grumble but they all allow each other to take bone/toys etc from each other. Peter routinely keeps all four in our bedroom while he works and they just nap.

It seems to be the combo of Nancy, Brando, Kodi and high value items that cause the issues. Is there any way to help with this?

P.S. All dogs are neutered. Brando is 5-7 and a previous stray and Kodi is 5. Bebe and Midget wisely stayed the hell out of it.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Oct 14 2:07 pm

Puppy Place > Introducing Bebe - any ideas on her mix?
Bebe

Barked: Thu Oct 11, '12 12:22am PST 
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the ideas. I was kinda thinking border collie based on the online pics. Some more facts for you.

She was 14 weeks when she was spayed and was 21.8lbs. At 16 weeks she was 25bs. She is almost 5 months old and I am not sure of her weight. Prob around 35lbs. She has been getting long and lean.

She loooooves the water and racing around. She has become much more affectionate.

I have a video of her playing with Midget. Hopefully I can get that to work so you guys can see updated images.

Bebe and Midget
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tanqueray Tonic, Oct 12 10:45 pm

Food & Nutrition > How much kibble should I feed?

Bebe

Barked: Wed Aug 22, '12 6:06pm PST 
The stool is close to perfect (gross phrase). It is firm, not to soft or too hard. She has no problems passing it. Since we take her out so often and always tell her to "go potty", I think she squeezes some out for our benefit. Some are small, so it would amount to four average size amounts a day.

She has nearly doubled her inches and has doubled her weight since we got her 6 weeks ago.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bebe, Aug 22 6:06 pm

Bebe

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 8:08pm PST 
Thats basically what everyone says.... but I want to know now!! LOL

Its actually more so I can try to gage how much food to feed her and to figure out what her adult size might be. She is almost 12 weeks and is 16lbs. She is approx 20" from shoulder to base of tail and 15" from shoulder to the ground.

She has such an odd coloring. She has almost a tiger stripe/brindle pattern to her undercoat and extra long black guard hairs. She also has a few white spots (under chin and on rear toes) as a very thin white blaze down her chest.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Tanqueray Tonic, Oct 12 10:45 pm

Food & Nutrition > How much kibble should I feed?

Bebe

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 7:40pm PST 
Hio guys,

I am not sure how much to feed our new puppy. Kodi was always a light eater, and at 80lbs eats about 1.5 cups a day.

Midget was a big over eater and would eat til he threw up, then try to eat it again. The vet said we had to limit him because he was 80lbs at 6 months. Now at almost 3 years maintains at about 3-3.5 cups a day. Any more than that and he starts to get fat.

According to the food calculator, Bebe should be getting over 4 cups a day based on a projected size of 65lbs. Since we only know what her mom was (Golden retreiver) and since she is on point size wise for a golden, I estimated the middle range for a female golden. She is approx 20" from shoulder to tail and approx 15" from shoulder to ground. She was 16lbs at her last set of shots and 11.5 weeks

We feed taste of the wild. She doesnt get a puppy version because (like Midget) the stubborn DOB will only eat what everyone else is eating. SHe eats about 2.5 cups right now but always seems hungry, but she is getting a puppy paunch. She also poops about 6 times a day. I dont want to starve her but I dont want her fat either.

What do you guys think?

Bebe at 11.5 weeks

Bebe at 16lbs
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bebe, Aug 22 6:06 pm

Bebe

Barked: Sat Jul 21, '12 11:13am PST 
Bebe is a golden retreiver cross... but we cant figure out who her dad might have been. He managed to make 11 almost entirely black puppies thou. Any idea?

She has a small white spot on her chin, a small white blaze on her chest and a white toe on each of her back feet. Her black fur is longer than her lighter colored fur and her undercoat is a medium tan. She has a sort of bridle/tiger stripe pattern to the lighter fur on her back.

Bebe

Bebe

Bebe

Bebe
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Tanqueray Tonic, Oct 12 10:45 pm

(Page 1 of 58: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.