Postings by Abbey's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 54: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Farmina N&D?
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '14 2:52pm PST 
Since switching back to half raw/half kibble I’ve been casting around for decent kibble that doesn’t break the bank, and most importantly that my dogs do well on.

This brand came to my attention recently. It’s made by an Italian company and has been pretty widely used in Europe, and has only recently become available in the US. Currently it’s being sold in stores in the Pacific NW and through an online retailer, sounds like they have plans to expand to the rest of the US soon.

So has anyone here tried it? Any general thoughts on the food itself or the company that makes it?

Farmina Pet Foods
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gizmo, Thu 2:52 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > I Need Pictures!
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '14 2:26pm PST 
Feel free to use any of the pictures on my pages. If you’d like higher resolution copies shoot me a PM.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gizmo, Thu 2:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Sudden aggression towards roommates?

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '14 2:20pm PST 
The incident with the toy and on the couch sound like pretty typical resource guarding. The other incidents sound like a dog who is very overstimulated (i.e. barking/chasing.)

I think you have the right idea leashing him and working on reinforcing some basic obedience. For the resource guarding I would teach a ‘give’ or ‘trade’ for toys and an ‘off’ cue for furniture. Both are very useful cues and fairly straight forward to teach via positive reinforcement.

Also work on impulse control; interrupt and redirect the barking and chasing. Don’t allow it to escalate to the point of growling/nipping. How much exercise does he get daily? He is a young dog and a mix of high energy breeds (have you met many 2 or 3 year old labs? - they’re insane!laugh out loud) He needs a good outlet for that energy.

I agree with the above poster, get your roomies involved in the training. Consistency is important, so get everybody on the same page, and teach them how to handle him for when you aren’t around.

One last thought, sudden behavior changes can have a medical cause, anything from a UTI to thyroid problems. Consider a check-up with your vet.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Fri 4:44 am

Behavior & Training > Former Dogster User MISSING IN LA

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Thu Apr 17, '14 1:15pm PST 
Oh no! I remember Lilith and Co. well. Sure hope her dog is returned safely!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Fritz, Today 9:30 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Jack Russell Terriers!! Please help!

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 6:24pm PST 
If he is able to ride a bike, even for short periods of time, he can get a bike attachment and take the dog biking. I jog and bike with my younger dog regularly, awesome way to exercise a high energy dog, I can cover twice the distance in half the time of a walk.

I agree with the NW suggestions! Is he in Sonoma Co. too? If he’s interested in pursuing classes there is a large, very active NW community here (heck, nationals are being held here next month at the fairgrounds!) Most of the people I train with are competing, but we have some ‘just for fun’ people too.

Also, would a dog walker be a possibility?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Apr 9 4:24 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Having to give my dog back to the Humane Society.
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 6:01pm PST 
It’s a tough call. It can take weeks, sometimes months, for a dog to settle into a new home before you see their true personality/temperament. The behaviors you are seeing may change for the better or for the worse.

Your best bet is to work with a good trainer who can help you evaluate potential service dog prospects before you adopt them. Look for dogs that have been fostered in a home vs. a shelter setting, or a young adult dog through a good breeder who has a known history and some basic training.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gizmo, Apr 8 6:01 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > GSD Breeder

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Wed Mar 26, '14 8:56am PST 
Coming out of lurk mode for a moment to post this kennel: vom haus Vianden.

Somebody recommended this breeder to me a while back, and I really liked the looks of her breeding program. Not breeding for ‘extreme’ sport or show dogs, tests for DM, has trained and titled multiple generations of dogs from her own breedings. I ultimately settled on another breeder, so no personal experience with this one, but she looks worth checking out further.

Also sending good thoughts your way! hug Wading through breeders is…daunting. I’ve spent the last 3 years (no joke!) looking.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Mar 31 11:42 pm

Puppy Place > Vicious and scary puppy problems: PLEASE HELP

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Thu Feb 20, '14 9:20am PST 
Sounds like there are potentially several things going on in this situation. The first thing that jumped out at me was that you have had this dog since it was 4 weeks old? I realize it was a rescue situation, but it is important for puppies to stay with their mom and littermates until at least 8 weeks, to learn important social cues and bite inhibition. You can read more about bite inhibition and socialization here. It also sounds like the dog has some pretty serious resource guarding issues. You didn’t mention what, if any, structure and exercise this dog receives in his day-to-day life, so I am assuming he’s getting little to none of either which is likely have a massive, negative impact on his behavior. At 8 months old he is also reaching a difficult sub-adult/adolescent age.

I was a little hesitant to put up either of those links, they make for good reading, but I agree with the other posters that these problems are beyond the scope of an internet forum or a book. You really need to seek help from a qualified professional. I think you will need to have a serious talk with your room mates, particularly the dog’s owner; everybody needs to make some changes and get on the same page with how the dog is handled.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Opheila, Feb 20 3:49 pm

Behavior & Training > Big news from the scoop!

Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Fri Feb 14, '14 9:38am PST 
smile Coming out of lurk mode for a moment…

I’m also cautiously optimistic of this announcement, and I hope it’s not too late to salvage what is left of the community areas. I’ll be sticking around for now, to see how things pan out here. None of the other sites I looked at came close to what this one once was anyway.

Speaking of other sites, I too hope you will go forward with yours, Tiller. Sounds promising!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Pogo, Feb 18 7:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Mon Jan 20, '14 10:09am PST 
Wow, just seeing this now. I have been a long-time member (8 years!) and although I read more than post, I will also truly miss the great community here. I’ve learned so much from people like Tiller, Maxwell, etc. all, heck the forums here were the kick in the pants that inspired me to start feeding raw.

Say Media is just shooting themselves in foot by getting rid of the community, I rarely read the magazine anyway, so once they delete my pages and the forums I’ll have no reason to ever come back, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Anyway, guess I’ll go join the proboard forums (I do love the Dog Snobs blog!) since I don’t do Facebook, but private forums tend to stagnate without getting traffic and new people in. One of the great things about the Dogster forums is how accessible the information is. I was doing research on rabies vaccines a few months ago and many Dogster threads popped up via Google.
[notify]
» There has since been 360 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

(Page 1 of 54: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.