Postings by Scooter's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 249: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

American Pit Bull Terrier > Pit mix?
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 9:41pm PST 
Those tests are a joke. There is a rather infamous YouTube video of someone doing the test on their UKC Purple Ribbon bred APBT that happened to be black with white markings. The result came back as Boston Terrier and some other way off breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Nov 20 9:41 pm

Dogs & Travel > Question with international travel and microchipping
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 9:22pm PST 
Nola, you're good. Just make sure they put the ISO number (or both numbers) on the FAVN form(s) and on any/all rabies vax certificates. Most countries are sticklers about having the chip done first so they can confirm the dog vax'd matched the chip.

Scooter and Bretta both had two chips as well as ink, so it all was listed.
[notify]
» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Nov 20 9:22 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > What do you think of this breeder?

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 2:55am PST 
Zoey, it is a myth that in order for a PSD to pick up on their handler's issues that they must be raised/trained by the handler. There are quite a few programs that train PSDs. In most cases, part of the application/pairing process is to identify your individual tells (for example, clenching your fists) so they can train the dog to signal to them.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:19 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dogster Magazine: The Fake-Service-Dog Scam Is Getting More Popular

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 2:47am PST 
Harley, I wasn't comparing us to Japan. I was pointing out that even if one has an ADI program dog, they can still be forced to jump thru hoops to use their SD other countries. Otto is a perfect example; he is allowed to work in the UK because he is from an ADI program. If they were to go to Japan for 6 months, they would have to PAT every 30 days.

You seem to forget that not everyone will hold themselves to a higher standard. That is going to be our downfall.

No, training a SD isn't rocket science, but it isn't something one can read a book or two on then jump into and be successful. It isn't something that you can expect a typical pet dog trainer to be of much help with other than basic obedience. I see far too many people trying to OT for mobility tasks without consulting a real SD trainer; tasks that if taught incorrectly, will affect its working span or could seriously injure the dog.

As I stated in my first sentence on my previous post, I'm NOT an ADI fan. I don't want the right to OT to be taken away; if it were, I would be SOL as I seriously don't like Labs, Goldens, and the other breeds most commonly used by programs let alone that the alert is as important as the response tasks...And I already know MY idea of well trained is not the same as yours.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:14 am

Dogs & Travel > Traveling on Spirit Air with a frenchie

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 2:06am PST 
I've flown on other airlines where the height limit was 10" and I had no trouble getting my 11" tall carrier under the seat. As for the airline pulling out a tape and measuring... chances are well in your favor that they won't bother.

As for keeping the pup calm, other than pulling him out of the bag to clear the security checkpoint, airport and airline rules are that he is to stay in the carrier. I'd take a small baby receiving-type blanket to drape over it while you are waiting to board and not let him pop his head out.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Nov 7 2:06 am

Puppy Place > Doggy Puberty! Tips on preventing marking behaviors please!
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 1:57am PST 
I keep multiple intact males in the house without a problem. IMHO, indoor marking is a housebreaking issue. I would go back to constant supervision and using a crate; if they are going to act like a pup and soil in the house, I'm going to treat them like a pup until it sinks in.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Nov 8 4:28 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > getting an SD

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 9:39pm PST 
Sam, the sad fact is that the average person isn't up to Owner Training. One of the programs determined that only 1 out of 100 shelter dogs have what it takes vs 7 of 8 when using proven breeding stock. They didn't pull that number out of their butts; they tried it out and found it wasn't worth the effort if their job was to create Service Dogs.

Getting a SD isn't like choosing most other pieces of medical equipment. It isn't always about getting your favorite color or even breed; it's about getting what will get the job done and even realizing at times that you aren't ready for it. OT'ing isn't a cake walk; it means getting off your butt and getting out in public to work the dog even though your medical issue (be it anxiety, diabetes, migraines, etc) is wanting to take center stage (yet again).

Those looking at OT'ing because they think it is cheaper don't need it sugar coated. They need to know the hard facts.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Beowulfs Beauregard CGC CGCA, Nov 20 11:50 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > To Vest or Not to Vest?

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 9:20pm PST 
I know someone who did an unofficial study. Which vest color resulted in the least amount of drive-by petting and which had the least access issues where patches were all the same. It was the orange and lime/weird yellow ones with red coming in somewhere behind that.

If anxiety is an issue, vest the dog; though I feel compelled to point out that some of your issues may also be based in breed choice. Smaller dogs get a bad rap, especially if they are worked like a fashion accessory instead of a full partner. When I was working with Bretta (70# Malinois)SDIT, I'd get more crap about
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Oct 24 8:03 pm

Puppy Place > Questions Regarding Newborn Puppies and Raising Them

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 9:03pm PST 
Personally, Mom gets dry left to graze at her leisure and feed wet (the kibble soaked in Grade A Ultra 24 by Milk Products 24 several times a day. That milk replacer can also be used for all sorts of small mammals and livestock and will come in handy when it gets time to intro the pups to solids. I generally give Mom 3-4 "wet" meals a day; the object is that the more liquid the more milk. With only 3, she may not need quite as much as a bitch trying to nurse 8.

Puppy mush is pretty simple but amazingly messy. I generally pull the bitch away for a couple of hours to get the babies hungry then having soaked the puppy kibble in milk, blend it adding milk as needed until it is a medium consistency. Then you can set them down and make them smell it, get a finger-ful and put it on their tongues, The first several days is generally "I hate this; you're torturing me!" With 3 I'd only start with a couple of spoonfuls. Once they start eating, you'll have to increase like crazy. I always found it easier to keep several cups of the puppy food soaking so I didn't have to worry about running out.

You definitely need to get on a deworming schedule and talk to the vet about a vax schedule since the bitch is an unknown; they may suggest starting at 6 weeks and using a different brand. I can give you a bit more guidance if you PM me. I had a litter of 8 Beagles back in April that ran me ragged.

Some people don't like them, but the kiddie wading pools work wonders, especially when the kids start opening their eyes (around 14 days). I started off with the smaller one and had to go to the taller/larger one to keep my crew contained. X-pens are always a good idea. With the pool, I could take binder clips and attach the sheet to the edges, but the pups couldn't touch them, then I'd lay the towels or other bedding on top.

I made an excel spreadsheet (generic) that I fixed for each pup. If someone needed a supplemental feeding, it was noted. It also helped keep track of those early nail trimmings, how much the bitch was eating, or if anyone had a minor issue. This went in a binder that went to the vet with us. I actually used it to id a food allergy issue; I notated every time Remy's poo was off; we changed protein sources and no issue so I tried her again and it went off again. Now she doesn't get anything with lamb.
[notify]
» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Oct 22 9:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dogster Magazine: The Fake-Service-Dog Scam Is Getting More Popular
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Oct 19, '13 9:54pm PST 
Piper, I'm not an ADI fan, but the big issue with what you have put forth are as follows.

1. Most doctors and therapists don't have a clue to the differences between an ESA and a SD. Make them show they know the difference before they are legally allowed to write the scrips and then it won't be an issue.
2. Most Humane Society/AC personnel don't have the education or background to determine if a dog has a stable temperament let alone would make a passable SD.
3. Most people can't program their coffee maker let alone train their dog to the degree necessary for a SD. Yes, that's rather jaded, but I see the train wrecks most people call well-trained on a daily basis.
4. There needs to be an international standard (which right now, for the most part, is ADI and IGDF). For example, Japan will only allow visiting ADI/IGDF dogs to work in public,but only AFTER taking a PAT test proctored by them. That will get you a 30 day pass; you must re-test every 30 days you are in the country. This doesn't apply to dogs from their programs.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:14 am

(Page 1 of 249: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.