Postings by Jenna's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 96: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > what would happen if
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Wed Sep 7, '11 1:07pm PST 
This is where the law is so messed up. Parents can be brought up on charges if they don't make sure the child gets to school. However, parents who are supposed to be actively supervising their child, can't be held liable if the child behaves inappropriately around a SD. I'd be tempted to say to the parents "If you can't control your child from petting my dog, I'm not sure if I can control my hand from from smacking your child's hand in the process." Yeah, it may not be the PC thing to say, but this type of stuff urks me. I have taught my children to ignore SDs when we're out, but if they absolutely can not, don't do anything but watch and admire the dog from my side.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sasha, Sep 7 10:32 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Walmart Employee
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Thu Sep 1, '11 8:02pm PST 
Um, great, now Wal-Mart employees are promoting faking a service dog! In some ways, I think it may have been a nice gesture (i.e. if it was really hot outside and at least the breezeway entry area of the store is air conditioned). It's not up to even Wal-Mart corporate whether to allow non SD dogs in their store. Most wal-marts now have a grocery section and because of health codes, non service animals are not allowed.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Sep 5 12:24 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > TV show "WWYD" service dog scenario

Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Mon Aug 15, '11 1:14pm PST 
I agree Jolanda, that is why I stress when people ask what they can ask a SD team is if the dog was THEIR service dog. Unless I'm working on training with Jenna, to keep her skill up or to fix a little bad habit that has developed, I have no right to take Jenna out without Serenity (her partner) despite being the dog's actual handler.

My only concern is you mentioning on the no dog allowed beach you let her out to play with a friend, I don't think that is appropriate but that is my opinion. If dogs aren't allowed on the beach, playing with a service dog on the beach would seem kinda, rude. Why can't I play with my pet dog on the beach, obviously that dog isn't working at this moment, etc. Anytime my dog is at a No Dogs Allowed place, I expect her to be in working mode from the moment we arrive to the moment we leave (unless the beach has dog friendly hours after a certain time which some beaches do). I might tether her on the beach so the humans can enjoy themselves in the water and wherever, but that is about as much of a 'break' as she'd get.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Torie, Aug 15 4:16 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Could this look professional enough?

Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 6:42am PST 
It looks good, I'd probably put a SD patch on it if you can. My concern is that it is polyester, which doesn't breathe well and could be pretty warm on the dog in summer. If they could make one that was made from a mesh material and more breatheable, that may be awesome.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Liam-Service-Dog-in-training, Oct 1 7:33 pm

Grooming > Petsmart "Guarentee"?

Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 11:37am PST 
I've worked at both PetsMart and PetCo. The salons differ store to store and chain to chain. If you are not happy with something, never settle with just the section manager (unless you're happy with their solution). Generally speaking, everyone in the grooming section is worried about losing their commission (their only pay outside of a tip or base hourly salary that would make you cry) for the job. Generally speaking, they will try to do anything to keep from losing a customer and making an arrangement that they will fix or regroom the dog for free can help keep from losing the customer.

At the stores I worked at, the reason to pay first then get the dog, was to prevent people from leaving with the dog and not paying (believe me, it happens more often than anyone would like). Both stores will honor their satisfaction gaurantees, but getting the refund may require you agreeing to allow them to try to fix the problem first.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Orley, Mar 28 7:49 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > People never cease to amaze me.... grrr.
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Fri Aug 5, '11 6:29am PST 
I smell a troll on e-bay. *bite* tastes like cheap pleather, I think I'll stick to my nice high quality Julius K-9 vest.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Aug 6 3:17 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Is this legal?

Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 6:50pm PST 
While I'd love to say "Yes Harley, your dad can take you out." I'm not sure I'm finding any other precedent that says its been approved in other states.

However, I do want to say that there are laws in some states supporting a non disabled handler of a 3 part unit (i.e. most Autism dogs and probably others) to take the SD out in a training status. I find it helpful to keep Jenna sharp as I can't always work on areas she is starting to slack on if I have my disabled daughter with me. This is legislation passed in Virginia in 2008 I think, http://dls.virginia.gov/pubs/summary/2008/08sum44.htm The second one details the 3 part unit training. I have met a few other mobility SDs that work in a 3 unit as well because of the scope of the disabled person's disability.

I do understand what others say as far as the dog responding differently to your SO than to you. I'm working on getting Jenna comfortable to work with her Cap Worker but the going is slow. The biggest problem lays in her heeling (she's so used to being at my side and Serenity picks up on it a little as well). Jenna is doing good, but I don't have full confidence in the CAP worker yet to handle Jenna and Serenity but it's coming.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Jun 24 6:14 pm

Food & Nutrition > Gonna have to switch =/

Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Sun Jun 19, '11 2:12pm PST 
If you have a Tractor Supply Store, check out 4 Health, we're currently alternating BB and 4-Health cause of finances.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by ♥Bentley♥, Jul 14 7:03 am

Grooming > Dry skin

Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 5:48am PST 
You're a cutie Pookee

For dry skin I'd look at a few things.

1) Bathe in all natural coconut or oatmeal with conditioner (I like Tropiclean, Buddy Wash, Cain & Abel). Work both as deep into the coat as you can. Allow the conditioner sit for a few minutes. I'm notorious for brushing teeth and cleaning ears and anything else I can do to take up a little time while the conditioner soaks in. Be sure to rinse THOROUGHLY. The water should run clear when all the soap/conditioner is off. Use lukewarm water, not hot or too cold.

2) Look at your food, make sure it is a good quality feed, Sedona's guide in food and nutrition section is awesome.

3) Add additional supplement of fish oil or salmon oil to the feed. Yes, the capsules you buy at the grocery store are okay.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ares, Jun 23 9:05 pm

Food & Nutrition > Just Applied for a Dream Job (and if I get I have all of you to thank)!
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 5:16am PST 
Good luck today Isabelle's mom! We have our fingers and paws crossed!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Isabelle the Great, Jun 12 6:09 pm

(Page 1 of 96: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.