Postings by Peg (In Loving Memory)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 419: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Sometimes I feel like I need a break
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 2:49pm PST 
Thank you both for commenting. I did not consider the elderly dog thing, probably because in part, part of my fatigue I think comes from specializing in elderly and special needs animals. It breaks my heart when they pass, even though I know I've given them a good life, and I feel so overwhelmed with emotion I feel like I want to stop doing rescue (I of course come to my senses, but at first it is really difficult to manage).

But you do raise a good point. I think if I found the right senior dog, that did not come to me with a lot of behavioral issues, that might help too. And some behaviors are more stressful to me, naturally; things like counter surfing, rooting through the garbage, digging holes are not as stressful to me as behaviors like animal aggression or high prey drive, and regularly urinating/defecating inside, extreme leash pulling combined with reactivity. It's not that I am unwilling to work with these behaviors, it's just that I have been with every do that has lived with me/my family and it's gotten to really make me feel worn down.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Hoss, Mar 1 6:41 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Educating the Dog-Fighting Public??!!!?!
Daddy

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 2:41pm PST 
Good point on the "fun event" thing Tiller, I didn't think of it like that. But I still don't get how ADULTS can't be bothered to educate themselves. How can anyone actually think any animal enjoys having their faces and other body parts ripped into, sometimes off? It's just beyond me. I guess it's different if it's all you've experienced AND it's been made out to be "fun" and when myths that "Pit Bulls love to fight" run rampant.

I do know what it's like to have been naive and not understanding things. When I grew up I was always told all commercial dog food was the same, some brands were just more expensive because of "greed" (which I guess to some extent is true but I know they certainly are not all the same now). I was also raised that a flea dip when an animal has flees was sufficient. Even that "spanking" a dog was acceptable. Obviously I learned all of this was bunk later, but that's because I went out and started seeking information, I educated myself as an adult.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Opheila, Dec 28 4:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Problems with intact males after neuter? Or just this dog?

Daddy

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 2:37pm PST 
Thank you all for chiming in. Perhaps I just over reacted (let anxiety take over). I did notice when my mother's dog got older she was less tolerant of hyper puppies and would put them in their place by showing teeth or even nipping but never bit or did the head thing. The small dog who is also middle aged flat out nipped his nose for being so in her face and hyper. I guess I was just surprised since Daddy is used to playing with younger dogs and has never tried to correct them before. I guess maybe it's his age.

He wasn't actually mounting him, nor was he humping. Daddy almost looked like was going to mount because he was putting his head on top of the younger dog's neck and sometimes his front paw over it. He was definitely getting a little too worked up though because his pupils were huge. I had to correct them both and they calmed down for a few seconds but then the pup would get way too overzealous all over again. Not wanting anything to escalate I just took Daddy inside entirely.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ava & Nix, Dec 24 3:41 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Sometimes I feel like I need a break

Daddy

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 5:09pm PST 
I know I started doing rescue and still do to help the least adoptable animals. But it's becoming really emotionally distressing when I get dogs that have a lot of serious issues. Eventually they improve but it takes years and a lot of energy. Sometimes I just want to take a break, or just for once get a dog that has already been properly socialized with people/other animals and if nothing else recall, leash, and house trained. Just once.

I would love to be able to raise a puppy, raise one right. I'm not saying going out and buying one even, but getting one from another rescue that knows the temperament of the mother at least if not the father too. Some days I do want a dog from a reputable breeder, but I can't bring myself to do it when there are so many dogs needing homes in shelters, rescues, being given away by their owners.

Have any of you dealt with this? I think it's called compassion fatigue. I just feel really burnt out sometimes.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Hoss, Mar 1 6:41 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Educating the Dog-Fighting Public??!!!?!

Daddy

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 5:04pm PST 
I agree any suspicious activity needs to be reported.

I have to say I do think adults and teenagers old enough to know better have to be somewhat sociopathical or at least not right in the head to torture living beings to death or pit living beings against each other to brutally harm one another. I grew up around animal abuse because of my mother's ex, but I saw the pain in the animals' eyes and I knew it was wrong. I know how much the abuse hurt me, I could never do it to another living being. I don't think there's any excuse for the behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Dec 28 4:03 pm

Behavior & Training > Problems with intact males after neuter? Or just this dog?
Daddy

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 4:59pm PST 
Unfortunately we have a lot of not so great pet owners around here who don't socialize their dogs or take aggressive dogs to off leash places and places where there will be a lot of people/dogs, it's the only dog park in our county. I really do not trust it based on this fact. I suppose I could try taking him (on leash of course, I don't walk my dogs without a leash for their own safety) the event in the summer time where there will be a lot of dogs, although in the past he has been leash reactive, fine off leash but reactive on so I may not even know then.

You're probably right though. It's just odd that he used to play just as much with the pups, even with an energetic intact 8 month old male pit bull mix and a six month old old neutered lab mix, though neither was nearly as hyper as this particular dog. He never tried to mount or dominate the others though which is why this came across as so strange to me. It was obvious he didn't want to fight because dog fights can get serious very fast and although he was showing his teeth a couple of times and mounting he wasn't trying to bite him or force him down or anything. But he was tense looking and his pupils huge. The other dog was biting but I think it was play biting because he wasn't holding on or biting hard.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Ava & Nix, Dec 24 3:41 pm

Daddy

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 12:13pm PST 
Daddy has always been fine with other dogs. Rambunctious at times but not aggressive or even that assertive. When he was intact he would be regressed at by other intact males and he would either run the other way or submit. Well Daddy has been neutered for about half a year now.

My brother brought over his young (6 months) intact male dog over, a bit smaller than Daddy. Daddy got really worked up, and when the other dog snarled he showed his teeth back, something he has never done. He was not in a small enclosed space nor on a leash, and they met through the fence and were fine. But as soon as the other dog started jumping on him he started jumping on him back and trying to mount him, and he had a very dominant posture. He was easy enough to de-escalate (Daddy) but the other dog is extremely hyper and really kept getting in his face and then trying to run on the leash.

I've read time and again neutered male dogs tend to have a problem with intact male dogs. And if you watch shows like the Dog Whisperer you will see when an intact dog (especially a male) is brought into the group of almost exclusively neutered/spayed dogs, many of them, most of them even get tense and uneasy.

But my question is, do you all think he was reacting to the energy of this particular dog being so hyper and unruly (even though he used to be like that himself)? Daddy is an older dog for his breed at 8 years old. Or was it a combination of the other dog's hyperness and the fact that he was young and intact while Daddy is older and neutered?

Daddy wasn't trying to bite him or really trying to get into it (he could if he had wanted to, any dog could). But he was really wanting to establish himself as the dominant dog, again, he's never had this problem when he was intact. When intact his main problem was trying to hump spayed females (really annoying). But when another dog told him his place he accepted it.

It's fair to say that Sammy did have about the same reaction, except she nipped his nose. But she isn't used to larger dogs aside from Daddy who comparatively is pretty chill. And before we got her she really had no exposure to dogs outside of the household, just other small dogs, she became an indoor only dog that never saw outside dogs. Then for the last seven months of the time she had at her last home no exposure to any other dogs of any size.

The neutered male dog next door hates intact males, he would often aggress behind the fence at Daddy before he was neutered, but Daddy would just ignore him. I don't know of anyone who has laid back intact male dogs (most people I know have either female dogs or no dogs) so I can't test to see if it was just this one dog's energy he had a problem with and not intact males in general.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Ava & Nix, Dec 24 3:41 pm

Senior Dogs > Time to let go?

Peg (In- Loving- Memory)

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 3:54pm PST 
Made her favorite human food, spaghetti except made it with egg noodles for the extra protein and a little less filler, and with tuna for the omega 3's instead of fatty greasy hamburger which I worry could upset her stomach more in her old age. Made two days worth of it. Since no one else seems to have the inclination to, I've been taking her out to chase a new squeak toy. She wants to play until she drops but I have to stop her because she starts stumbling and shaking.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Nov 7 5:50 am

Peg (In- Loving- Memory)

Barked: Mon Nov 5, '12 11:42am PST 
Despite pain meds she has been sleeping a lot more lately and sometimes refusing to play. The past two days she has not even seemed to know where she is, laying around random parts of the house looking pretty miserable. My mother is going to call the veterinarian this week to help her cross so she doesn't suffer. I am trying to be strong, but it's proving to be quite difficult.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Nov 7 5:50 am

Peg (In- Loving- Memory)

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 10:16am PST 
To give you an idea, my mother's dog Peg is a 16 year old Pharaoh Hound/Pit Bull Terrier mix with both breeds' average life span being 10 - 14 years. In the past year her health has really been deteriorating. It started with really bad arthritis that has been eating away at her muscle tone. Two different veterinarians told us all we can do is keep her on pain management and provide not too strenuous exercise. Even though we've doubled her food intake (she gets wet food, but I also add extra wetted kibble for extra calories), she is beginning to look literally like skin and bones.She has incontinence that keeps getting worse. Her vision and sense of smell have gotten much worse. Once in awhile she will start barking at nothing, and frequently will just stand and stare into the distance at apparently nothing in particular.

My mother is out of town so I've been watching her. Yesterday and now today she has been drinking and urinating excessively despite not having gotten into anything. I just put down a large container of water for them and Peg immediately drank almost all of it in one sitting. I'm pretty sure her kidneys are going.

She spends a good chunk of the day sleeping, but doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain since the pain control meds. Despite letting her out frequently she will lay in the dog beds and just urinate on them. We have tried incontinence pads but she just pulls or chews them off no matter what and is really miserable with them on. The thing that gets me is she still enjoys food, treats, and usually toys (some days she doesn't want to play or will only chew the toys for a few minutes before losing interest). She still likes chasing toys outside a lot of the time.

I'm not really sure what to do. It seems cruel to let her waste away, but neither me nor my mother have literally ever dealt with this situation before. I'm not sure what to tell my mother would be the best thing to do at this point. I know people have said "if they still enjoy the things they used to it's not time", but what if they enjoy it half the time and do not the other half of the time, and they've got all these other medical problems?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Nov 7 5:50 am

(Page 1 of 419: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.