Postings by Dandie's Family

GO!

Miniature Bull Terrier > Tail Chasing

Dandie

Barked: Thu Aug 19, '10 12:01pm PST 
Just wanted to post some positive news on the subject. Dandie had such a bad problem with tail chasing she would fall down from exhaustion from her obsession. After training and anti-anxiety medications failed to help the problem, my vet and I decided that we would amputate her tail and see if that helped at all. DANDIE is CURED!!!!!!!!!!
I am glad we exhausted all options prior to her amputation, although I am so glad we did it. We amputated her tail when Dandie was just over a year. She is three years and we haven't seen her chase her tail since.
Hope this helps anyone who has a similar problem.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dandie, Aug 19 12:01 pm

Miniature Bull Terrier > Tail Chasing
Dandie

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '08 1:05pm PST 
Hey all,
Just looking to see if anyone has some interesting ideas about discouraging tail chasing. My one year old Dandie, just started doing it when we were gone for long weekend. She's never really been a kennel dog. In the past she was kenneled for about 2-3 hours at a time. This particular weekend, she was kenneled for about 6 hours. That's when it all began.
We've put her on some medication perscribed by the vet, the trainer said to get her a pack and put some weights in it to tire her. We are giving her kongs full of treats and bones of all types when we see her start. Its working somewhat, but we still catch her doing it several times a day....
Any ideas?????????????shrugshrug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dandie, Aug 19 12:01 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.