Postings by wilbur ☮'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 76: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Desperately need relief for itchy skin!
wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Wed Jan 21, '09 9:53pm PST 
Aw, Maebe, we feel for ya!
I went through the same thing with Wilbur. Months and months of trying to figure things out.... turns out he, too, is allergic to flea bites and even one bite just sends him over the edge. I know how awful it is to watch your furry buddy scratch all day and night. It's just awful.
Like a previous poster mentioned, it took about 2 months of Frontline Plus (which I applied every 3 weeks) plus Capstar every other day for 10 days, to get rid of the itchies. Also, treat your yard with fireant killer. The effective ingredient is the same as Frontline's. One thing I did WRONG was overbathing the poor dude. Once every couple weeks is plenty, especially with dry skin.
Just keep up the treatments, vacuum a couple times a week (throw out the bag or the contents of the canister outside), treat your carpet with Borax or Dietamaceous (sp?) earth, and wash bedding frequently. You WILL beat this!
I know what a pain it is, though, and how awful it really is for a dog who is truly allergic. We are thinking of you and hoping things get less itchy soon!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Tucker, CGC, TDI, Mar 25 7:18 am

Plus Power of the Paw > Prayers for Levi
charlotte- ♥

must...- not...blink...

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 3:37pm PST 
Levi is one of the few Dogster dogs we've met in the fur, and he is a member of the ONLY Dogster family we see on a weekly basis! Levi is so super duper special... I know all of his pals here know that, and I wish you were here to pet his soft fur and see the way he still jumps out of nowhere to chomp on the Chuck-It. He is a character, that's for sure, and his family is nothing less than wonderful in real life and here on Dogster.

One time, our mom was helping dog-sit while Levi's humans were out of town, and that's when Levi and our mom really bonded. cloud 9 He let our mom snuggle with him and he let her feed him lots of treats (gee, what a nice guy- bol!)

We have seen Levi run along the beach, dodge waves, chomp on Roper, hike through miles of woods, wade in the pond, and roll in stinky stuff. We KNOW he is going to fight this and win! Levi is one tough dude, and we sure love him! snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 67 posts. Last posting by Sammy ♥ KABX, Mar 4 11:18 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Marley & Me...the movie

charlotte- ♥

must...- not...blink...

Barked: Fri Dec 26, '08 11:52am PST 
I will be seeing this movie with my family when I go visit them next week! I'm excited!

One of the dogs who played Marley is an alum from Safe Harbor Lab Rescue- my cousin is one of their foster pawrents! So I'm doubly excited to see it now that I know one of the actors is a rescue dog!
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Abigail (Abby), Jun 3 12:43 pm

Dog Health > Seatbelts? My Pet Peeve!!!

charlotte- ♥

must...- not...blink...

Barked: Sun Dec 14, '08 9:55pm PST 
Thanks, Taser. My topper does have sliding windows on both sides, and a cab window in the front of it (which opens to fresh air since the cab doesn't have a rear window). I have heard of that danger before, and it's definitely something I will take into consideration. I may end up asking my dad to fly up here and drive a U-Haul back for me with Wilbur riding with him (with a seatbelt- otherwise he does try to snuggle - Wilbur, I mean, not my dad). I am definitely nervous about the long ride, and thank you for responding! hug
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Taser, Jan 2 9:37 am

Dog Health > Seatbelts? My Pet Peeve!!!

charlotte- ♥

must...- not...blink...

Barked: Fri Dec 12, '08 11:44pm PST 
I haven't read all the posts, so please feel free to ignore this question if it's already been answered.

I drive a pickup with only room in the cab for one dog. That's where Char rides, since she BARKS the entire time if I put her in the bed (which is covered by a topper). Wilbur rides in the bed of the pickup.

I rarely drive anywhere with both dogs- usually I just take one because I HATE that one has to ride in the back, even though it's covered. But in a few months, we'll be moving a couple states away. I was going to actually trade in my truck for a small SUV so both dogs could be in the car with me, but that's not going to work out like I'd hoped.

Do you think the best alternative would be for Char to ride up front (in a seatbelt) and Wilbur to ride in back in a crate? Or do you think crates in the back would be safer for both of them? I am putting off moving because I am dreading the drive over the mountains in my pickup with two dogs and a cat! Any advice is appreciated!
[notify]
» There has since been 42 posts. Last posting by Taser, Jan 2 9:37 am

Behavior & Training > Lab Saves Avocet (Good Dog!)
charlotte- ♥

must...- not...blink...

Barked: Sat Nov 15, '08 8:43am PST 
Just wanted to post this article about a Lab in Tulsa who saved an injured avocet by retrieving the bird to awaiting rescuers. That was some good training done by her handler! Good girl, Zoe!

http://www.tulsaaudubon.org/membersgallery/avocet-rescue.htm
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cracker, Nov 15 10:54 am

Dog Health > We can\'t afford Lola\'s surgery...what would you do?

charlotte- ♥

must...- not...blink...

Barked: Fri Oct 31, '08 8:42am PST 
hugLola and familyhug

We're so sorry for your loss and for sweet Lola.
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by Brutus, Nov 30 6:18 pm

Dog Health > Fleas 101

wilbur- ☮

big black- snugglebug

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 7:49pm PST 
AUGH! I feel your pain, Pablo and Johnny. Wilbur is so allergic to flea bites- just one flea can make him itch like crazy for days on end. He has no fur left on the insides of his hind legs from all the scratching. All my pets (both dogs and the cat) are on Frontline Plus and are now on Capster (the vet said to give one Capster every other day for a week and a half because his allergy is so severe).

She also recommended I put Borax down on the carpet and especially under the sofas. Of course, my dogs get on the couches and given that fleas can jump so high and get on there anyway, I see no reason not to let them up there. I have heard mixed things about Borax but his reaction to fleas is so severe that I am willing to try anything! I did use Diatemaceous Earth a couple months ago and it helped... but now they're back.

The vet also said to put fire-ant killer in your yard. It has the same effective ingredient as Frontline. My dogs are rarely in the backyard, but again, I'll do anything. Now if only I could flea-bomb the woods where we go walking every day....

Oh yeah, you can also give Benadryl to help with the itching. The dosage is 1mg/pound but check with your vet first. It didn't help Wilbur, but I know it has helped other dogs.

I really hope you can figure it out soon. Fleas are really not fun. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Saskia, Oct 31 2:39 pm

Dog Health > Runnin' from the Devil (p00)

charlotte- ♥

must...- not...blink...

Barked: Thu Oct 30, '08 8:04am PST 
Rope, maybe I will try to get a video up this weekend of the poo-dash! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with poo weirdisms. Very funny about the tip-toeing, and the turning around to sniff it!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Trixie Bean!, Nov 5 3:34 pm

Dog Health > Runnin' from the Devil (p00)
charlotte- ♥

must...- not...blink...

Barked: Wed Oct 29, '08 8:39pm PST 
BOL! Mickey, that's funny! Mom's friends think it's soooo funny that she pulls grass out of my bum for me, but seriously, what ELSE is she supposed to do? Just let it dangle?!?!? eek I don't think so!
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Trixie Bean!, Nov 5 3:34 pm

(Page 1 of 76: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.