GO!

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Hard lump on ribs.
PHOENIX

doggerbloggy.blo- gspot.com

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 5:04pm PST 
Thanks for the support guys!

The vet tried draining the lump, and a few cells came out which they analysed but couldn't get a clear picture of what was going on. Quite a lot of a blood came out, but they were unsure if it was from the lump, or caught his skin on the way out. He's currently on Rimadyl as an anti-inflammatory (which unfortunately makes him vomit profusely and I wonder just how much he's getting from the tablet).

If it hasn't gone down by Thursday, he will be having xrays and an incision in the lump to see if they can get a better idea. They didn't rule out any nasties, as it's completely unmoveable and seems attached to bone, and can't understand why it grew so suddenly and is so hard.

So, really, I am hoping it's a hematoma or a lypoma, and that it starts to go down over the next few days (and that I can keep some meds down him).
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Missy , Jan 2 5:13 am

Dog Health > Hard lump on ribs.
PHOENIX

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 1:25am PST 
After his big dinner, my partner and I simultaneously noticed Phoenix had a lump in his left hand side, over his last or 2nd last rib. It's larger than a golf ball, but smaller than a tennis ball - it doesn't seem to move, and he flinches slightly when I try palpating it. I feel sure I would have noticed the lump growing - I rub them over and pat them all over their body each day, and I wonder how I could have missed it getting so large.

Naturally he will be on his way to the vet on Monday, but does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be? The only time he has been not like himself was on Monday, when he ran away chasing rabbits and wouldn't sit down afterward - he was off his food a little that night, but seemed fine once we returned home a few hours later. Might he have swallowed something? Run into/hit something that's caused a bump?

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Missy , Jan 2 5:13 am

Behavior & Training > Small dog owners can drive me nuts!

PHOENIX

Barked: Tue Sep 2, '08 6:45pm PST 
This is almost a daily occurrence for my pooches, and it drives me - and them - up the wall.

When off leash, I'm more than happy for my dogs to play with any others, so long as they behave themselves - having said that, Sahara is rather wary of black dogs, and Phoenix gets a little excited, so I'm always on hand with my leash should things get out of control. Small dog owners? Not so often. It seems because of the stigma around my area that 'big dogs are mean dogs', the smaller dogs seem to be the 'good guys'. It's often the case a Maltese or Pom (and that's in no way blaming those breeds AT ALL - I'm trying to mention the owners, here!) come up, and exhibit what you were saying - snapping around the face and legs, and generally upsetting my two, who clearly don't know quite how to react with a tiny pooch. So, on the leash they go so they won't hurt the smaller dogs when playing back.

My dogs are large dogs (30kg and 40kg) and weighing only 55kg myself, if one of those smaller dogs continually attacks mine (and I'm not suggesting it's particularly aggressive, it's just clearly annoying for my on leash dogs who know on leash means business, not play) it can be quite difficult to 'hang on', much to the smaller dog owners amusement. Then, should I let them back off once the other owner remarks their smaller dog is very social, I get filthy looks when Sahara starts chasing them as the little dogs are doing to mine. Infuriating!

I agree with the 'bad owners', not bad dogs - and it's not such 'bad', and ridiculously uneducated in etiquette, to be honest.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Daisy~ CGC ♥ TDI, Sep 3 6:40 pm

Maremma > Hi there - I'm Bella

SaHaRa

Barked: Tue Sep 2, '08 6:29pm PST 
Hi fellow Maremma's! I'm currently fostering a Maremma until he heals from his leg surgery, and boy...a Maremma is not what I expected! I'd appreciate ANY help I can get for this one - he seems a little slow, and at 18months, he still chews absolutely anything he can get his gums around. He walks into things, doesn't answer to his name...he's perfectly healthy (and not deaf like I first thought!) so is it just a breed thing?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kayla, Dec 20 8:24 am

Dog Health > Post Cruciate Ligament help.

SaHaRa

Barked: Tue Sep 2, '08 6:03pm PST 
Sahara is going under the knife on Friday morning to have her anterial cruciate ligament fixed. I am opting for the 'figure of eight' method rather than the wedge, and have been looking into hydrotherapy and physiotherapy to help aid her recovery. I am absolutely terrified of A) her being away from me for the night while she recovers, in case something goes wrong (I'm beginning to realize I'm a little over protective..!) but more that I will do something wrong/wont be able to do enough to help her recover. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can improve her recovery? (Aside from the lots of love she will be receiving smile

She was showing great promise in agility and fly ball, and of course ruled the group of nine dogs she runs with, as she's the only lady. Is there any chance she will ever be the same?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by SaHaRa, Sep 2 6:03 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Animal Websites/ Newsletters
SaHaRa

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '08 5:05pm PST 
doggerbloggy.blogspot.com

Thats ours, and there's links to other sites via it!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Dafi, Feb 12 4:07 am

Sports & Agility > Dog Carting!

PHOENIX

Barked: Sun Jan 13, '08 6:04pm PST 
Hi guys - hope all had a wonderful festive season.

After a few drinks a little while ago, myself and a friend discussed h0w fun a dog cart of sorts would be - like a miniature horse cart we could ride in, and let the dogs get exercise etc. Last night we had another chat about it, and we're really going to give it the go ahead. We've looked at many websites from America and around the world, and it actually seems like there's a lot of people who do the same thing - how fun! Unfortunately, we are unable to find any information regarding anyone in Australia currently inland mushing or carting, so we seem to be somewhat paving the way - I can see a lot of trial and error in the near future! Our dogs are brothers, and both weigh between 48-52kg (105 - 115 ish US) and as myself and my friend only weigh around ten pounds more than the dogs, we don't think we'll be adding too much stress to the them, as long as we keep the frame light. They are both extremely fit - both are walked for miles daily, and my boy spends hours roller blading with me and is used to his harness, as well as swimming, hiking and weekly training.

I'm basically just after any information for ideas for the cart, suspension and brake wise, harnesses and halters for steering etc - if anyone has any suggestions or websites, I would certainly love hearing from you!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Bosley , Jan 13 6:50 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Shelter vs. Pet Store

SaHaRa

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '07 6:52pm PST 
I can never justify Sahara being a pet shop puppy, but I sure as hell try, and for me, this sums it up -

I entered the pet store looking for fish food, and saw the most beautiful puppy in the world. She came home, because she was the last of her litter. I overheard, in the store, she was due for the carpet. And by that, I mean she would have been rolled in carpet and jumped on; the pet stores way of dealing with a loss.

Their loss was the greatest gain of my life, and I swore I'd never purchase from a pet store - I never will again. Hygiene, 'bloodlines', health wise or not - all they are doing is simply promoting bad treatment of animals. There's generally a reason shelters refuse to adopt out, and that's never an option for a pet shop - as long as they get their ridiculous price for their animal, they don't care where it's going to.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Georgia's Summer Breeze , Dec 22 9:13 am

Behavior & Training > How to cope with killing my other pets

SaHaRa

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '07 1:34am PST 
Thank you all for the kind responses. Even after a few days, it's still hard to deal with, but things are getting better. And I realized I'm taking it out too much on my dogs - I'm horribly unhappy with them, but I know I can never stop loving them, and the still need to know that. Sahara was urinating whenever she looked at me, and Phoenix was becoming extremely anti social. Bad behaviour,strong prey drive, whatever - they're still the loves of my life, and as hurt as I am, I know time will help.

So again, thank you for the help. I truly appreciate you sending such kind words, and sharing your stories, as horrible as they were.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Finn, Nov 30 8:03 am

Behavior & Training > How to cope with killing my other pets
SaHaRa

Barked: Wed Nov 21, '07 3:56pm PST 
Yesterday evening, Sahara and Phoenix killed my rabbit, LuLu. She had gotten out previously, and I had double checked everything was secure before coming inside, only to hear Sahara's excited bark. I knew immediately something was wrong.

I feel terribly guilty. My rabbit was a 'rescue rabbit' and I was so excited to be giving her a new and better life, yet I feel like turning myself to the RSPCA for being responsible for my dogs butchering her. I have a few seconds where I realize it's nature for dogs to kill rabbits, and I even mostly believe they had no intention of actually harming her, they would have been so excited to play with her. I can imagine them jumping on her to initiate play, rather than savaging her.

But either way, I am terribly upset. I can't believe how badly I have taken it - I do not want to see either dog, to the extent I refused, for the first time since either has come home, to be anywhere near them - and they slept in the kitchen and bathroom, instead of next to me in bed. It got to the point last night I asked my partner to take them away from me. I know I could never part with either of them, they are absolutely 100% the loves of my life, but right now I'm scared of how upset I am with them. What if this doesn't pass, and I don't love them how I used to? I know this sounds quite childish, but I really am struggling to cope right now. I'd appreciate any suggestions.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Finn, Nov 30 8:03 am

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.