Postings by Ceridwen's Cordial Medoc's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Raw Food Diet > Are We Sure They Are 100% Carnivore?
Ceridwen's- Cordial- Medoc

Do you love me ?

Barked: Tue Jan 27, '09 11:01am PST 
I think this story of omnivorous dogs comes above all from kibble companies, who want to put more and more cereals in kibble to make it cheaper to make... They prefer to poison dogs with cereals than to give them a good piece of beef, just to earn money.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Jan 30 3:18 am

Do you love me ?

Barked: Wed Jan 21, '09 6:49am PST 
Even if I'm not Mokie, as I'm vegetarian I answer : vitamin B12 does not exist in vegetables - any vegetables. There are forms of vitamin B12 in some of them (in spirulina for example) but human body can't assimilate it because it's slightly different from animal B12. Good vitamin B12 can be found in all animal products : not only meat and fish, but in milk and eggs too. That's why vegetarians don't need supplementation, only vegans.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Jan 30 3:18 am

Do you love me ?

Barked: Sun Jan 18, '09 6:08pm PST 
Oliver I have a lot of sources which were written by vets, and I have learnt by discussions too, on the forum http://www.b-a-r-f.com (in French). I have above all statistics, and the BARF forum has learnt me how applicate those nutritional advices. Almost all that is in French... I'm working on a project to put together all those articles and make a site for vets (in French too).
About veggies I think that they need them, just a few but they need some (5-10%), as they eat in the stomach of their preys in nature. Nutriments of the veggies are already hydrolyzed, then I think the dog can assimilate them. Of course it is not the case with other veggies, and I think that even crushed before feeding, they are not as digestible as hydrolyzed, and might be toxic (as there are many toxins in veggies which were not eliminated by digestion of an herbivore).
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Jan 30 3:18 am

Do you love me ?

Barked: Sat Jan 17, '09 6:23pm PST 
I explain you Tikka : if you look at old articles about canine nutrition, they told that dogs don't need any taurin (exactly as us in fact), and then they are omnivores. Recent studies have proved it is completely false and that dogs need taurin as cats. The two species can synthetize taurin but not enough to survive without supplementation - from meat of course. taurin can be found in red meat (all organs), and in other meats too but only in some organs (above all heart). Be careful with fishes as tuna, because I've heard that it doesn't have taurin.
About vitamin C, when needs grow, because of illnesses or big age, it is difficult for the dog to synthetize vitamin C enough. That's why dogs eat fruits sometimes. There are minerals too that are more concentrate in vegetables - selenium for example.
I hope you have understood all I've written, I surely do a lot of faults because English is not my mother language wink To conclude for me, dog's needs are much more like cat's needs that we thought before.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Jan 30 3:18 am

Skye Terrier > Very important ! Ivermectin toxicity in skyes

Do you love me ?

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 1:48pm PST 
"As we are aware, Skye Terriers have had serious, often fatal reactions to ivermectin (against demodex and heartworm ). The reaction seen in Skye Terriers is similar to that exhibited by susceptible Collies. The phenomenon of ivermectin toxicity in Collies was first described in 1983. Ivermectin causes neurologic toxicity in some but not all Collies at doses that are 1/200th of the dose required to cause toxicity in other dogs. Neurologic manifestations of ivermectin is susceptible dogs include hypersalivation, ataxia, blindness, coma, respiratory compromise and death. Skyes manifest similar reactions.

Despite numerous investigations during the 1980's and 1990's, the cause of this susceptibility was not understood. Recently, a veterinarian at Washington State University discovered that the ivermectin sensitivity in Collies is caused by a mutation of a gene ( MDR1 ).

This mutant gene may also give adverse reactions to other medications:

* Imodium
* Doxorubicin
* Vincristine
* Vinblastine
* Cyclosporin
* Digoxin
* Acepromazine
* Butorphanol

Other studies have shown that this mutant gene has the potential to act in over 50 different drugs and may include:

* Ondansetron
* Domperidone
* Paclitaxel
* Mitoxantrone
* Etoposide
* Rifampicin
* Quinidine
* Morphine"
This text si from : http://www.skyeterrier.org/ivermectimstudy.htm

Please if you have a skye, give this text to your vet ! It could save life of your dog. thanks for them !
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 22 8:23 am

Food & Nutrition > Just some thinking out loud about vegetarian dogs...

Do you love me ?

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 9:58am PST 
I'm vegetarian and as my species is omnivore, I'm sure to have no health problems. For dogs that's different, and really, if you want to test vegetarian diet for your dog, please BE CAREFUL ! That's what I've already posted about eesential amino acids in dogs :
" I think that dogs can complete their food by veggies, but only complete. In fact, if plants can be a complete source of 8 amino acids for humans, it can't be the case for dogs (and cats too), as they need 11 amino acids. Recently researchers have discovered that a lot of dog bloodlines can't synthetize taurin, and that they are strictly carnivores in consequence. Then it is proved that dogs can't follow a vegetarian diet, as even there is taurin in complements, the 2 other vital amino acids are not present in. But even with that, dogs and cats need vitamins and minerals that exist only in plants. That's why it is important to give them some veggies and fruits."
I know a vegetarian friend, and in her family the dog was fed only with veggies and grain... He's dead of denutrition.
Please, respect nature ! A cow is not made to eat meat, a dog is not made to eat only vegetables, and it can even die of this experiment.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ceridwen's Cordial Medoc, Jan 16 9:58 am

Do you love me ?

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 9:19am PST 
I think that dogs can complete their food by veggies, but only complete. In fact, if plants can be a complete source of 8 amino acids for humans, it can't be the case for dogs (and cats too), as they need 11 amino acids. Recently researchers have discovered that a lot of dog bloodlines can't synthetize taurin, and that they are strictly carnivores in consequence. Then it is proved that dogs can't follow a vegetarian diet, as even there is taurin in complements, the 2 other vital amino acids are not present in. But even with that, dogs and cats need vitamins and minerals that exist only in plants. That's why it is important to give them some veggies and fruits.
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Jan 30 3:18 am

Dog of the Day & Week > Which breed do you think should be Dog of the week?

Do you love me ?

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 9:00am PST 
Of course Jake ! Skye terriers ! The best !
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Abby, Jan 21 4:44 pm

Skye Terrier > Skye terrier directory

Do you love me ?

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '08 6:31pm PST 
Hello to all, I just would like to present the Skye terrier world web directory. It's the (almost) complete list of links about Skye terrier in the world ! And if you want you can even complete it !
It's here : http://skye_terrier.myblox.fr
Enjoy ! wink
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ceridwen's Cordial Medoc, Feb 1 6:31 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Top 5 things to know about YOUR breed!

Do you love me ?

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '07 10:37am PST 
The most important things to know about Skye terriers :
- We are shy to strangers... But never aggressive ! And we love children and other animals. Let us the time to know you in order to be able to trust in you.
- We need to be brushed minimum 2 times per week and a bath minimum 1 time per month.
- Our bones are fragile especially when pups, never let us go on the stairs.
- To have a beautiful coat and avoid allergies give us a high quality and natural food with good oils. Raw food is excellent.
- We hate to be alone, kenneled or sepatated of you and we could die of sadness. Let us live at home with you, even in an appartment, and above all give us LOVE. That's the most important wink
[notify]
» There has since been 116 posts. Last posting by Mya CGC TDI, Oct 25 2:42 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.