Postings by Byron's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 168: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > My church rejected me because of my SD
Byron

Small dogs can- have BIG jobs!

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '12 2:52pm PST 
Pippa, I don't know if it is relevant anymore, as some time has passed. But I would urge you to take up this matter with your priest's superior: whether that be a bishop or elder etc. You have been professional about the situation. You named no names. You came to this site in good conscience asking for advice. I find it unconscionable for a religion leader to have treated you in this manner, especially when he mandated that you censor your post. You may have chosen to move to a different church, which is sad. However, think of the people behind you. What of the next parishioner with a service dog in that church? Please at least write a letter detailing the situation to your priest's superior, so that the organization can be made aware of how service dog handlers are treated in that particular church. I'm so sorry that you have had to deal with this unpleasant situation. I must say that I have always been accepted in each and every place of worship I have ever visited, when I used a service dog (whom is now retired). I am so sad that you cannot say the same.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Max-SD, Oct 4 11:19 am

Puppy Place > Introducing my new puppy!
Pavarotti

Official Toy- Destuffer

Barked: Fri Feb 25, '11 7:02pm PST 
In December, Pavarotti came home to stay with us for good. He is Byron's cousin from the same breeder. His father won OS at Westminster a few years ago and his half sister just won BOB this year. His mother is a champion, as well. So he has some big doggy booties to fill. wink

He is a total love muffin. Very affectionate and playful. He loves to play with Carrot. They wrestle. And Pave' absolutely idolizes Byron. He follows him all around the house. It is adorable!

His favorite thing to do is to destuff toys. He is a real pip!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Snowberrys The Skys The Limit, Feb 26 6:22 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Comfort items out in public?

Byron

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 9:16pm PST 
Living in Florida, most flooring in public places here is linoleum, concrete or tile. And since every place tends to have the A/c cranked up high, those floors can be super cold. Byron has very sparse coat (he is an IG) and very little body fat. Thus, he gets cold on those hard floors. It would be the equivalent of us stripping down and sitting nude on a cold tile floor... exceedingly uncomfy. So I allow him to do his long downs on a small mat. For short sits, he will actually sit on his own paws for comfort. The mat makes him much more comfortable. When I forget it, he reminds me by shivering.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Byron, Feb 23 9:16 pm

Small Dogs > weight ratios and walking on lead. . .halter for a chihuahua

Byron

Barked: Sun Feb 20, '11 7:40pm PST 
I think that if one wants to use any kind of head halter style lead on a small dog (or any dog for that matter), one needs to be very careful how one uses it. Pulling the head up and back can be traumatic to the spine. And when you are working with a small or tiny breed, it is basically impossible not to do so, if the lead is pulled taunt, because you are naturally much taller than the dog. Unless every time the dog goes to the end of the lead, you crouch down on the ground. One shoud be VERY careful to not let the dog hit the end of the leash or pull on the leash with any strength when in a head halter. I have seen advanced trainers make this same mistake and it makes me cringe every time. I would prefer the use of an Easy Walk harness, if you are able to find one that fits. But most importantly, no training gear is for life. Training gear is there to assist you with training. The end goal is to put the dog in a regular collar or harness, once it has learned loose lead walking. If you are not there yet, then keep up with the positive reinforcement loose lead training. All the best.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 7 3:32 pm

Small Dogs > Releasable tag collars for small dogs.

Byron

Barked: Sun Feb 20, '11 7:31pm PST 
We like Beastie Bands. Google them. They are velcro neoprine cat collars that you can cut to any size. They also come in a wide variety of designs. They are soft on the neck and some even glow in the dark.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Byron, Feb 20 7:31 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Westminster Tonight!
Byron

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 6:44pm PST 
lol It was a good group. Lots of great dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 264 posts. Last posting by Marlowe, RN, CGC, Feb 19 6:59 am

Byron

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 6:40pm PST 
Aww! Fluffy dog mafia won! shrug Sienna did a good job though. blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 266 posts. Last posting by Marlowe, RN, CGC, Feb 19 6:59 am

Byron

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 6:16pm PST 
Hi Watson! Sienna is my puppy's half sister! We are so proud of her!
[notify]
» There has since been 269 posts. Last posting by Marlowe, RN, CGC, Feb 19 6:59 am

Byron

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 6:15pm PST 
Yay Sienna!!!! cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 270 posts. Last posting by Marlowe, RN, CGC, Feb 19 6:59 am

Byron

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 6:03pm PST 
Let's go Sienna the IG! cheer
[notify]
» There has since been 273 posts. Last posting by Marlowe, RN, CGC, Feb 19 6:59 am

(Page 1 of 168: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.