Postings by Otto - Registered Service Dog's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 139: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dogster's closing...
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Thu Jan 30, '14 11:15pm PST 
Service Dog Central. You don't have to be 'approved' - aka have the same ideas as the moderator.

It's a great site!happy dance
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Mar 2 9:03 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Feeling awkward with my service dog?

Barked: Thu Jan 30, '14 11:13pm PST 
shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Mar 23 8:26 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Access challenge at Dollar Tree

Barked: Thu Jan 30, '14 11:11pm PST 
Another day in our life with a service dog. Honestly, when you've had a service dog for more than a few years, you don't let these kinds of things get to you. Life is too short and things like this happen when you have a service dog.

Know this going in and don't let it upset you when it happens.

Challenging the status quo is fine - but expect the fallout.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Otto - Registered Service Dog, Jan 30 11:11 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dogster Magazine: The Fake-Service-Dog Scam Is Getting More Popular

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 3:55pm PST 
Abigail, please go back and read my posts. No Where did I say I thought all SDs should be certified! It just happens that Otto is from an ADI member school.

Irritated? I'm irritated by all the people who immediately take the other side because Otto is from an ADI member school.

I'm still confused why that happens. An ADI school confirms someone's disability, investigates the tasks the client most needs the dog to do and matches a dog to the client's personality and needs. Before that point, the dog is screened for physical problems and any mental instability.

By the time a client gets a dog from an ADI member school, both dog and client have been 'vetted'. As a client, you don't end up with an unsuitable dog and/or all the expenses that went into training. Otto's school is a not-for-profit so the cost was laughable. Setting up my house for all the gadgets Otto used cost more than my fee and were part of the fee. Plus I got bowls, food, vests, leashes, toothbrushes, toothpaste, brush, comb, etc, etc, etc.

Yes there was a wait - less than one year in our case. But when I got Otto I knew he was able to do all those things I really needed his help with.

If I have to travel and can't take Otto, his school will step in and care for him. If I get ill and can't care for him, ditto. There is a whole fallback mechanism in place if I need it. I think that's a good thing.

I think it works, but what ever floats your boat...
dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:14 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dogster Magazine: The Fake-Service-Dog Scam Is Getting More Popular

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 3:08pm PST 
Pity so many OTs are so defensive...shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:14 am

Barked: Tue Oct 29, '13 9:02pm PST 
Harley, I'm not the one trash talking about the ADI. Put up a link if you can to prove your point.

Harlequin, you quoted standards the ADI sets for their member schools. The goal of ADI is "Setting standards for the assistance dog industry since 1987", given the number of bogus 'schools' out there, I would think this is a good thing.

Yes, Otto was trained by an ADI member school here in Canada. Thanks to that, Otto was recognized as an assistance dog in England. That's just how it is. Some places can still require 'certification', the UK did when we flew from Vancouver, Canada to London, England. There is a photo on my page showing signs we encounter all over the UK about 'registered assistance dogs'!

I have no issue with owner trained dogs... as long as they are as well trained as Otto!laugh out loud

Rock On!!dancingcheerdancing
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:14 am

Barked: Fri Oct 25, '13 6:38pm PST 
Harley, again you will have to disagree with me!

dancingcheerdancing
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:14 am

Barked: Thu Oct 17, '13 10:33pm PST 
Thor, could you post a link that states ADI will 'certify' a dog?

It was only because Otto was trained by an ADI member school that we were able to fly from Canada to the UK!dancing.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:14 am

Barked: Thu Oct 17, '13 1:13pm PST 
It's unfair to represent ADI as wanting to "take over" the service dog industry. Their goal is to have all service dogs trained to a very high standard. Certainly a great idea!
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:14 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Little confused about the laws I've found on universities

Barked: Fri Jul 19, '13 8:48pm PST 
Nova,

We LOVE you!!!hughughugkissinghughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Otto - Registered Service Dog, Jul 19 8:48 pm

(Page 1 of 139: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.