Postings by Jasper's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 62: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Having to give my dog back to the Humane Society.
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 11:20am PST 
What a hard decision! I'm sorry things didn't work out. A friend of mine recently had to return a dog when he killed one of her chickens, then became OBSESSED with the chickens.

He was a senior dog with very few teeth left, so nobody thought he'd be a problem around the hens. Hard lesson learned. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Gizmo, Apr 8 6:01 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Jack Russell Terriers!! Please help!
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 5:29pm PST 
Three words: nosework, nosework, nosework!

Nosework tires Jasper out almost as much as hard exercise, and it's way more fun for me!

We started with a few open boxes with a really stinky treat inside one of them. Gradually, I made the 'puzzle" harder and harder, now I can out him in his crate and hide the treat on a different floor of the house for him to 'find it'.

Sometimes I hide a few treats, or "trick" him by scenting several locations but leaving the treat in only one of them.

It's a fun game that never seems to get old for either of us. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Kali, Apr 9 4:24 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Scared to ever adopt rescue dogs again

Star

Barked: Mon Jan 13, '14 9:47pm PST 
Just chiming in to say I feel where you're coming from, Scruffy, and my mind has gone down the same path in the last few years. Star was a fostered rescue who was isolated for much of her puppyhood due to health problems and she had long-lasting psychological issues because of it. She could be quite unpredictable with strangers, and we had to monitor her obsessively around anyone outside of the family. Oh, and she also ate her way through a solid oak door one day when she suddenly developed separation anxiety out of the blue. -_-

Wilbur is...not normal. We half joke that he is autistic - he cannot read social cues from other dogs AT ALL, and he's just...off, in many of his behaviors. He's the cuddliest dog in the world and we love him dearly, but he is a problem too. His dog aggression can go from 0-60 VERY quickly. He's also not completely in control of his...er...physical faculties, and we've finally realized that he is simply never going to be totally housebroken, ever. My parents took up all of their carpeting to accommodate him.

Jasper is a totally awesome dog who is simply too much for me. The shelter had mistakenly labeled him as a senior dog, and I didn't hang around him long enough to realize that he was still an adolescent before I brought him home. He's creeping up on senior dog status now, but he's STILL too much dog for me, LoL.

I'm so tired of the constant vigilance it takes to own an aggressive dog. As sad as I was when Star passed, there was also relief...I don't have to be on high alert all the time when we're outside, I don't have to watch her body language when we have people over, I don't have to try to figure out how to give her a time out from guests without her panicking over being separated from the family. I miss her dearly, but the atmosphere at my parents' house is MUCH more peaceful now.

Anyhow, that got longer than I intended. Good luck with your next dog. I've been researching breeds and I think I've found the right one for me next. I'm still not all that into the idea of raising a puppy, so I'll be keeping an eye out for an adult of that breed with a known history...be it a rescue, re-home, or breeder dog. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Scruffy, Jan 15 11:17 am

Puppy Place > What is the most rare breed you have ever met?

Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Wed Oct 16, '13 10:50pm PST 
We were at the dog park recently and saw a GORGEOUS Thai Ridgeback.

I also have some unusual doggies who shop in my store; a bedlington terrier, a pair of beaucerons, a pair of entlebuchers, a buhund, a klee kai and a silken windhound all make regular appearances. I love my store!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Oct 18 8:00 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > PLEASE HELP! Dog in Custody at Risk for Euthanization**

Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Sun Sep 15, '13 10:49pm PST 
Yoshi: Sadly, sex offenders are given a LOT of leeway compared to people who commit other crimes. When my grandfather was convicted of molesting two little girls he got house arrest, but when he got a DUI years later he went to jail. It seems so unfair.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Sep 15 10:49 pm

Puppy Place > Bottle Baby!
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Fri Sep 6, '13 10:59pm PST 
Soooo...the long story is really long....the short version is this:

Holly Trinity is a three-legged German Shepherd puppy born this afternoon. Her father chewed off her right rear leg. My sister and I are fostering her until she's old enough to find a good home. She is adorable, and we love her!

Sleepy Trinity

See the left rear leg?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 7 5:28 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Extensive List of Worst Puppies for Newbies

Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Sep 2, '13 1:14pm PST 
One of my customers recently got Karelian Bear Dog puppy as her first dog...and she has a little boy in the house! ARRRRGH.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Sep 16 3:04 pm

Dog Health > K-9 ADVANTIX II IS TERRIBLE

Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Sun Aug 25, '13 2:55pm PST 
Uh...Jasper can't take Rimadyl - it causes a violent GI reaction. That doesn't mean Rimadyl is a terrible medication, it just means that it's not right for us.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Sep 7 3:12 pm

Behavior & Training > Reactive dog doesnt react to a specific breed?

Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Mon Jul 15, '13 3:09pm PST 
Jasper was attacked badly by a boxer, and since then I am uncomfortable around him and boxers, which I'm certain translates to him, as he seems uneasy around boxers. I think it's mostly him reacting to my unease.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bunny, Jul 15 3:19 pm

Dog Health > Dog safe lawn fertilizers?
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Thu Jul 11, '13 11:34pm PST 
We use alfalfa pellets. Cheap, easy to find, and completely safe. Plus, it works very well!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Jul 11 11:34 pm

(Page 1 of 62: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.