Postings by Missie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 201: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Help!!! MY dog can't walk!!
Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 4:19pm PST 
Bisou, Missie just finished 8 weeks of heavy dose doxycyline for tick born lyme disease. We caught it when her symptoms were very mild and just starting, and thank goodness there has been no drama.

If your vet hasn't already done so, I encourage you to get the C6 test done.

This is a paragraph about it. You can read more from the links below: "This is a more advanced test that gives you a baseline reading in units per milliliter of the number of C6 antibodies in your dog's serum sample. Knowing how many antibodies were found when you started treatment gives you a way to determine if treatment has worked when you retest 6 months later. If the number has dropped considerably, IDEXX says by 50%, you can safely assume it has."

We started with the Snap 4, and Missie's levels were so low it gave only a suspicious positive. We had to confirm with an IFA (I think that was the name) from the lab - her uMl was just below 1:256, which meant she was indeed affected, even if only at a low level. We did the C6 after that, and I am glad we did because 5 weeks into treatment we found out her levels had already dropped to 12 U/ml, indicating the treatment was working and her infection was inactive. You can't tell that just from the IFA tests.

Check out these links for some reading. Lyme is so very rare here that my vet was open to taking info. from me about new testing and length of treatment, and I'm glad he was open to that.

http://dogsandtickdisease.googlepages.com/

http://dogsandtick disease.googlepages.com/tests

Good Luck with Bisou. We found with Miss that the antibiotics helped within 4 days. They did also make her vomit though if her stomach became empty, so she's been open fed and eating heartily for two months while on them. Now we're faced with a diet, cuz she's a bit of a porker.shock
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Bam-Bam, CGC, Jan 31 12:09 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Your "heart breed" - What is it? How did you know?
Missie

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 8:52pm PST 
I have to say that I do not have a heart breed . . . but I do have a heart breed type. I love companion spaniel types, they can be mixes or pure as long as that spaniel temperament shines through . . . loving, gentle, biddable, outgoing goofballs.

Tiller, when you talk about your Cocker experience, I think of my Cavalier as he is a bit on the sporty side for a Cavalier. I get chills every a.m. as I watch him bound out onto our trail ahead of me, eyes alert and ears forward, springing along looking to flush the grouse from our treed acres. It is this happy energy, and the enthusiasm he shows when you pick up his ball and offer a game of fetch that is completely contagious. I love it.

My spaniel mix has just a little bit of noble independence added to her character - not ever allowing us to rule completely, and although I originally thought that I might resent managing this trait, it turns out it creates a slightly different appeal. She is just one small bit less overwhelming in her neediness and one small bit more self-entertaining. She has us all enamoured.

As I find a tremendous attraction to the Papillons I know well, I would imagine it is the gentle yet still playful "spanielness" in all of these dogs that I like, and any combination of these breeds would fit well with my heart.
[notify]
» There has since been 75 posts. Last posting by , Nov 21 7:12 pm

Dog Health > Lyme Disease? Any tips?

Missie

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 10:51am PST 
Thanks for the feed back guys.

Morgan, your suggestion of crating her (although I know it came from the best intentions) made me laugh.

She is totally not fond of the crate. (This is very much in line with the Tibetan Spaniel breed who are lookout dogs and not den dogs). About 45 minutes is her limit in a place where she can't see. If I put the crate at the window where she can "watch out" she will stay in it for hours. It took us a year to even get her to that point of acceptance. She will also just sit at the window for hours without the crate and be much happier, so that is usually what happens. Unfortunately most vet's offices don't have lookout windows!

At the vet's yesterday while being tested and x-rayed they crated her. 15 minutes in she started to bark - the bossy demand bark that means "OK, ITS TIME TO LET ME OUT!!". Of course they didn't respond.

10 minutes of barking later she started whining and screaming which went on and off for the next full hour. She was only actually crated for 90 minutes.

The vet was sure to tell me about the "drama queen" when I picked her up.laugh out loud

Anyway, we did start her back on walks 10 days ago - only 1/2 hour but I power walk so for her its a quick pace. She really loves her walks too, but we are going to cut those out again (despite her weight gain) for the next month. Poor girl maintains easily on about 1/2 the food recommended for her weight unless she gets a lot of exercise. I hate the idea of cutting her down to almost nothing.

I didn't give her the painkiller yet. I have decided after getting opinions here and from family that I will if a couple days of complete rest and doxycyline doesn't clear up the limp. I tend to be chemical adverse and am a little worried about the two drugs together. I am one of those people who thinks long and hard before I even take an aspirin.

It is interesting to hear that other dogs have continued to limp even after the treatment. As clinical signs are supposed to be the way to gauge whether more treatment is needed, that would leave me wondering if they aren't still fighting the bacteria? This really is a confusing condition.

The good news is that I badgered the vet into finding the lab that does the newer C6 lyme test, which gives numbers that help to tell if the disease is still active or not. He initially was reluctant but he phoned me today and said he found a lab that does that test and her blood work is sent, so we'll at least have reference numbers to go by (retesting every six months lets you see a drop or rise in antibodies, with rising numbers meaning more treatment is needed as the lyme is active again).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Nallah, Sep 25 6:39 pm

Dog Health > Lyme Disease? Any tips?

Missie

Barked: Wed Sep 24, '08 4:52pm PST 
Apparently my tomboy Missie found the only lyme infected tick in all of Alberta in June.

That is sarcastic as we are so far North those of us who live here rarely have to deal with ticks and fleas, and as of yet, not heartworm either. Living with 40 below winter weather stretches is supposed to have at least some advantages!!

I pulled a tick off of Miss in June. She started showing signs of lethargy in August in the middle of a heat wave. We thought it might be the heat (she hates heat) but about 10 days in she came up with a limp. Worried, I took her straight to the vet (not my usual as this was a Sunday) and he did the Snap L4Dx to find out she was lyme positive. He also took blood for titers and sent them off which confirmed the diagnosis.

Anyway, she has been on doxycyline for 30 days, (another 30 to go) and she is still off and on limping on her left front leg.

The vet took a ton of x-rays today, and found nothing, but just in case, he also wants her on full rest and Metacam for a week. He is thinking she may have a soft tissue injury as the limp from lyme should be gone by now.

This vet, nor any in his office, nor my vet, or any in his office, have ever dealt with lyme. Apparently there has only been three canine cases in the Edmonton area over the last 10 years.

Does anyone on this forum have experience with lyme? This limp has me perplexed and if it is the indicator the bacteria are being hard on her I don't know if I want to mask this symptom with a painkiller.shrug I also don't know if the vet is correct in assuming this limp should be gone already.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Nallah, Sep 25 6:39 pm

Dog Health > tick borne 'Babiosis' anyone?

Missie

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 8:59pm PST 
Sorry to hear about Mikhail.

Missie currently is on doxycycline for lyme disease from a tick. I'll probably be posting some questions about that soon.

I found this site Tick-Borne Disease In Dogs which has a lot of information on lyme, but I just looked and it has some on babiosis as well. I hope it is useful for you.

There is a link at the bottom to "imozol" for treatment.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, , Sep 30 10:32 am

Choosing the Right Dog > What personality do you lean towards in a dog?
Missie

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 10:55pm PST 
This is a great question!

I actually owned a terribly inbred dog that was deaf and quite dumb. She came after many very smart and on the go herding type dogs, and I fell absolutely in love with the easy care of a dog that is not that bright!

So I obviously don't care about smart, as long as they are bright enough to learn to pee outside.dancing

Other than that I like gentle and friendly, (to everybody, not just to me). I also like a family orientated dog, not just a one person dog.

I have no use for protective dogs, hyper dogs, or dogs that really need to vent a lot of energy. A laid back casual personality in a pet is VERY important to me.

I walk twice a day, 1/2 hour each time, and so I am for a dog that will be satisfied with keeping me company doing that and as well have fun with a little fetch or tug.

I like snuggly dogs as I really like them on my lap, and I do prefer a responsive temperament to an independent one, but a little bit independent and self minded is OK.

My self minded one is on my lap at this moment snoozing away.
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by Maya, Oct 18 1:52 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Smartest Breed of Dog?

J P

A DOG is for- LIFE.

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 8:46pm PST 
Fantastic Five, you said what I was going to say, and so well.applause
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by Sirius Padfoot Black, Oct 23 12:23 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Breeder Opinions about close relations

J P

A DOG is for- LIFE.

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 8:38pm PST 
I went back and read your statement better and then got even more confused when I read Keikos! I hope I’m understanding this.shrug

I believe you are saying that in the pedigree of the pups born there is one grandparent and one great grandparent that are the same dog. I think that puts the COI (from just that relative) at about 4.8, which is not terribly high. I cheat and use a program usually red face so don’t quote me on that.

That is definitely more distant inbreeding than I first had thought, and I agree with others is that a full pedigree would help to know more. Ask if they have calculated a COI on the litter. That will give you an idea.

When I was looking for my pups I actually looked for COIs under 3.5 and held to that, but that is just me. I'm a bit of a pick about this stuff. I found that that low a COI was very hard to find.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by "Selli" , Sep 11 8:38 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Breeder Opinions about close relations

J P

A DOG is for- LIFE.

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 6:00pm PST 
Ty, I know the point you were making was that this breeder is still probably a good one, and I would agree and probably a lot of thought went into this pairing. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of thought was put into population genetics (not how this breeding could impact the pups, but how many breedings like this can affect the population of the breed). If one breeder does this, then another models it and does it, and that is how we get inbred populations.

These links explains much better than I can.

Extent of Inbreeding in Pedigree Dogs Revealed in New Study

Population Structure Study

For your own knowledge, the COI on the pups from a half brother mated to a half sister is 12.5%, and that is if there are no other common ancestors (which is rare). I believe that is what this mating is from your description?

I am a fan of John Armstrong, who studied COIs, and he showed that the chances of compromised health and a shorter lifespan in puppies starts at a COI level of about 6.5. Still he had allowances for up to about a '10' if breeders were using descretion.

I wouldn't purchase a puppy from them just on the fact that they have made this close a breeding. Myself, I would want to make that statement.

I believe, as purchasers, people need to be discouraging this and asking breeders to make different choices.

Of course we all have our own ideas and reasons for making choices.

If you do feel like reading here are a couple of links on inbreeding:

Inbreeding - Is it necessary - James E. Seltzer

Bowlingsite Inbreeding/Linebreeding COI

Inbreeding Coefficients & Coefficients of Relationship
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by "Selli" , Sep 11 8:38 am

Dog Health > Why so many poodle hydrids?
Rocky

Got Food?

Barked: Tue Sep 2, '08 10:35am PST 
"To be perfectly honest, I don't think we need more breed standards. There are enough breeds that need fixing out there anyways, why make more inbred dog breeds? It seems counterproductive in terms of creating a healthy dog."

Dante, I agree with you. I believe we really should be questionning the idea of what a purebred dog is, and the thinking and concepts which have grown up around purebred dogs in the last 150 years, and whether this kind of thinking is actually conducive to breeding healthy dogs.

I do believe many in the public have already questioned this, come to a conclusion, and purchased their doodle mix or designer dog - hense part of the answer to "why so many poodle hybrids".

This is from Terrierman this morning.

Great Scott, That’s a Great Breed Health Study!

What stands out?

""Professional" and "Show" Breeders are not producing healthier dogs"

"Harvill notes that while professionally bred Scotties are more expensive than casually-bred dogs, they are not healthier. In fact, says Harvill, "The empirical evidence indicates that the best shot — even if a long shot — at a long-lived Scottie is from a non-professional breeder.""

I paid attention because it is something that many of us have anecdotally noticed in Cavaliers as well. Unfortunately we have no great study.

No amount of health testing can improve those health problems caused by a depleted gene pool.

Let's hope other breeds pay attention and make some changes before they get where the Scotties (and possibly some others) seem to be.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Nov 1 4:49 pm

(Page 1 of 201: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.