Postings by Minnie ♥'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 704: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Teaching a dog to stop and turn around...
Sir Winston

Be loyal to your- master and all- is well.

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '07 10:07pm PST 
Thank you Nick! That was very helpful!

We use 'Leave It' in the same way you do so I'm probably going to the command 'Stop'. If Winston goes ahead of me on the leash I say 'Heel' and he returns to heel postion. But I'm probably going to use the leash and a ball to teach him. That'll be tomorrow's training! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sir Winston, Aug 25 10:07 pm

Sir Winston

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '07 12:48pm PST 
Thank you Ginger! I have taught Winston 'Leave It' but not to the point that he totally knows it outside, so we'll defintetly work on that! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sir Winston, Aug 25 10:07 pm

Sir Winston

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '07 11:45am PST 
Bump!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sir Winston, Aug 25 10:07 pm

Behavior & Training > Muzzle for an English Mastiff

Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '07 10:25pm PST 
This was the first site I came across online:

http://www.leather-creations.com/muzzles.html

You put in the measurments of the eyes to nose, around the nose, and the neck behind the ears.

I'm sure they're are plenty more sites though if you search! Good luck!! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pooch ~ I miss you ~, Aug 25 11:48 am

Sir Winston

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '07 7:04pm PST 
Thank you Zebedee but Minnie will behave as long as the remote trainer is on. So every time she's off-leash we have it on.

My question is reguarding Winston because he can still learn how to fully behave off-leash (like I said he's more responsive to my commands and has no need for a remote trainer). I want to teach him that if he makes the mistake of going after something without my permission (be it a toy or a dog), he still has the chance to stop and turn around. He doesn't do it naturally when I say come because he's already set on going after the object so I want to teach him.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sir Winston, Aug 25 10:07 pm

Sir Winston

Barked: Fri Aug 24, '07 12:00pm PST 
Both of my dogs are trained that when they're outside playing fetch, they don't fetch the toy unless I say so. I do this in the hopes that if they saw something else they want to go after (ex: bird, cat, dog, ect.) they would not go after it without my permission.

Minnie probably would still go after that something unless she had the remote trainer on but Winston is not being trained with the remote trainer. And I think that he is more responsive to my commands (not just like: "Or else??" like Minnie).

So even though he's not supposed to go after the toy without my command, he makes mistakes. My question: How do I teach Winston when he's going after something, to stop in his tracks and come back to me?

If I tell him come, he just keeps going to get the toy, THEN comes. I tried the shake can to try and distract him but it didn't startle him.

Thank you,
Minnie and Winston's Mom
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sir Winston, Aug 25 10:07 pm

Behavior & Training > I'm at the end of my rope with potty training.

Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Thu Aug 23, '07 1:29pm PST 
On this one dog training show, a lady had three poms that kept peeing in the house. The trainer told the owner to use a timer and every half hour (?) the dogs would go potty.

Good luck!!! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by ♥ Smokey ♥, Aug 26 5:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Leash aggression

Sir Winston

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '07 11:36pm PST 
I bought the book Click to Calm and read the whole thing. I don't disagree with it but it wasn't helping Winston. He needs to learn that barking is NOT acceptable. The clicker training method (which we used for about six months) taught him that he could get a treat if he wanted to stop barking. But it wouldn't show him that barking is simply unnacceptable!

Anyway, I think that he got a lot of freedom in clicker training. But maybe I just wasn't doing it right ...

confused
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rubee, Aug 21 8:23 am

Behavior & Training > jumps up and nips!!!bad boy!!

Minnie- ♥

Simply Lovable!- <3

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '07 11:11am PST 
With powerful and active labs I would suggest using a prong collar. Give quick pops on the leash to make corrections. But this can only be used for leash training. You can't just let him drag around the leash with the prong collar on, although keeping the leash on is a good idea.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Minnie ♥, Aug 20 11:11 am

Behavior & Training > Leash aggression
Sir Winston

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '07 11:04am PST 
What type of collar are you using?

Winston had problems with barking and showing aggression at other dogs (with or without a leash). We took him to a socialization/training class and the trainer told us that whenever he barks we should give him a "pop" on the leash with the choke chain and squirt him with bitter apple through a squirt bottle. When he stops you give him praise and possibly treats.

This method worked very well to stop his barking although he's still shows aggression when a dog gets too close or pushy with him. But that was only after one class and we're going back today.

Good luck!!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Rubee, Aug 21 8:23 am

(Page 1 of 704: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.