Postings by Elliot's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 85: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > How do rescues and shelters build relationships over long distances?
Momo

Wher's the toy?

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 7:25pm PST 
I used to foster for a rescue in Maryland and while some of our fosters came from local shelters, quite a few came from rural shelters in other states. Now we moved to Arkansas where the whole dog rescue situation is very different. So my question is, how would I go about creating some sort of relationship with rescues in areas that might be able to take some of the dogs from here? If you are a rescue that pulls from out of state shelters, how did you start? Did the shelter contact the rescue or vice versa? How exactly do you make the whole transport and so on work?
Any info would be great. I am trying to find out as much as possible to be able to give this info to the shelters and hopefully set something up.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Star BN RN RA, Aug 20 6:24 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > three Min Pins in rural shelter in central Arkansas
Elliot

I am larger than- life, no really- I AM

Barked: Sun Aug 5, '12 6:45pm PST 
I'd be happy to check them out for a rescue that might be able to pull them. I'd be able to transport to SE Texas/ Louisiana border on 8/17 or 18 (not sure what day we are going down there yet but one of the two for sure) or we can take a trip to memphis pretty much whenever. The shelter does not run a website with adoptable dogs, but there is a facebook page run by volunteers. The are the "Ward Animal Shelter Volunteers". The guy who runs the facebook page is heavily involved with the shelter and arranges for transport adoptions and so on. I am not affiliated with the shelter at all, just saw the post about the MinPins and. It is rare that pure breds end up in a shelter down here at all. They also do out of state adoptions, so if you are looking for a MinPin, check them out.
From the pis, two definitly look like MinPins, the third one might be a mix.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Elliot, Aug 5 6:45 pm

Behavior & Training > Aussie puppy and pregnant kitty

Sargent- Pepper - ADOPTED

Are you my new- family?

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 9:32am PST 
It is probably difficult for you to find a Viszla because in Germamy most good breeders really prefer them to only go to hunting homes.
Best thing would be to pass on the puppy and wait for another litter . The cat needs peace and quiet and as has been mentioned you should not introduce the puppy to the cat until after the kittens are older. In any case you should find other cats that you can socialize your puppy with, if you wait several weeks it might be too late.
I understand that the idea of getting a puppy is exciting but the responsible thing to do would be to put the cat's needs first. And I do hope that she will be spayed.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 28 4:55 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > The Chow Chow- Some information please

Momo

Wher's the toy?

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 9:19am PST 
One of the handful of breeds that I would never consider owning.
I think they can be a great dog with the right owner, but unfortunately that right kind of owner is rare. As a vet tech, I will muzzle pretty much any adult Chow. The exception would be a chow that has been our patient since puppyhood, though frankly the few that have been coming to us for years all turn into dogs that have to be muzzeled as adults anyway. Part of it surely is that they don't have the right owners, part of it is that they are chows. The Chow that does not object to a physical by a stranger would not be very chowy smile
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Mar 5 3:57 pm

Food & Nutrition > Taste of the Wild

Elliot

Barked: Tue Feb 28, '12 8:52am PST 
Love it! The venison puppy formula is the first food we've found that our allergy ridden dog can eat! Great ingredients and all three are doing well on it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sandy Baby ♥, Feb 29 6:34 pm

Behavior & Training > Stealing and Sharing
Elliot

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 9:32am PST 
I 100% understand your concern. I went through the exact same thing with a foster pup and my own dog. At first I was proud of her for being so nice, then I felt that she was creating a little monster. Eventually she began to correct him, especially when he was trying to steal her bully sticks. Several months later, the pup is still here (and not going anywhere). The two of them are still best friends and he will still take things from her, but now it is during play. She will tell him off if she wants to keep the bone and he has yet to try to take anything from my other dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ellie, Feb 22 11:06 am

Food & Nutrition > Good Training Treats?

Oscar-Adopte- d

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 8:27am PST 
Red Barn also has a roll similar to the one you mentioned. Not sure if the ingredients work for you, but here they are: (they also have a lamb and a chicken one)

Main Ingredients
25% Beef
22% Beef Lungs
22% Beef Liver
10% Wheat Flour
21% Other

Ingredients - Beef, Beef Lungs, Beef Liver, Wheat Flour, Egg Product, Sucrose, Flax Seed, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Natural Smoke flavor, Calcium Chloride, Sunflower Oil, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Rosemary, DL-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate, Iron Sulfate, Selenium Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Acetate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of vitamin D3), Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid Supplement
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Frankie, Feb 20 5:28 pm

Behavior & Training > Newborn baby killed by family husky

Elliot

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 12:23pm PST 
The liability remains though. IF that dog were to ever again bite someone, that person could sue the new owner and AC and would probably win. God forbid that dogs ever hurts another child, even if the dog is completely not at fault, AC would likely be held responsible. I am not debatting if re-homing the dog is morally right or wrong, merely the legal consequences of doing so.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Mar 2 9:23 pm

Behavior & Training > Feeding Frenzy 120 hounds at Cheverny--cool video

Elliot

Barked: Sat Feb 18, '12 11:37pm PST 
The question is what would happen if a dog went all the way to the food? Just more whipping the whip only to get the sound? What if that does not work? Why have a whip if you aren't going to use it?

With such a large number it seems probable that at least one of them is not sound sensitive. So one dog would try to get the food and to deter him the whip would be used to only make a sound. For a scent driven hound that is safe around gunfire I can't imagine the sound of the whip to be enough to stop him from getting his dinner. I'd bet the dog would ignore the sound and happily munch away.
I absolutely do not believe that it is the sound that is keeping them under control. Though even if it was just the sound, it would still work by using an aversive.

That the dogs don't look terrified only means that they understand what they need to do to avoid the whip (stay back).I suppose that might be an indicator that the guy is good at using P . Which is less terrible than being bad at P .

Since we'll never know for sure, let's agree to disagree smile

Edited to add: Why would the dogs avoid the whip unless they have learned that avoiding it is preferrable to not avoiding it? What would happend if the dog did not avoid the whip? That right there tells you why they are staying back.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Feb 22 3:54 pm

Behavior & Training > Feeding Frenzy 120 hounds at Cheverny--cool video
Elliot

Barked: Sat Feb 18, '12 10:52pm PST 
I doubt it is just the sound of the whip that is keeping them back. More likely they know what happens when they get too close. And I'd rather not think about what that whip is used for when one of the dog goes for the food.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Feb 22 3:54 pm

(Page 1 of 85: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.