Postings by Rondo's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 273: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Woman tries to mail puppy!
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Mon Feb 14, '11 6:36am PST 
I was at the post office a couple of years ago and a man there was trying to mail his iguana. The post office workers and all of us in line were SUPER confused, and the guy just didn't understand how overnighting his lizard would be cruel and dangerous. Ugh.
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Snowberrys The Skys The Limit, Feb 19 7:08 am

New to Dogster/Tips & Tricks > Is dogster welcoming enough to newbies?
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Fri Dec 17, '10 8:48am PST 
Just a response to the "do we even still have moderators?":

Yes, we're still here. And like Eppy said, we are all volunteers. I know lately my life has been temporarily crazy busy and I haven't been able to poke around the forums as much since my office computer died (and they won't replace it....ah, the joys of working in education in a cash-strapped state BOL!). I don't always see the threads until they've gotten out of hand. It's shocking sometimes how something that seems innocuous will get crazy nasty. While some topics are gimmes (like Cesar, Beneful, prong collars, breeder vs. rescue) you'd be amazed at how something that seems harmless can spiral out of control so quickly. And you'd also be amazed at how sometimes a particularly horrifying thread will have zero flags. Seriously, we do our best but we can't be everywhere all the time. We do count on your help, so please rather than escalate a fight by trying to correct another member just flag the post and ignore it! We will get to it, maybe not within the next 20 minutes but when one of us is online and not dealing with another equally bad situation in another thread.

As for posting warnings and things, again if we have time we will do it. However, oftentimes there are multiple situations we are trying to deal with and the easiest solution is to "freeze" a thread by closing it temporarily. When we have time to clean it up, we do reopen if we can with a moderator warning (usually). At least, that's what I try to do. Think about it, there are TONS of forums on this site, including all the breed-specific forums. There is NO WAY that we can be aware of everything that's happening all the time, and we do the best we can. Just keep in mind that just because you don't see what's going on behind the scenes it doesn't mean that nothing is going on...if we can't see everything at once chances are neither can you smile.

Thanks!
Rondo
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by River, Dec 28 6:09 am

Raw Food Diet > moral dilemma vs. cheap meat?

Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Wed Nov 17, '10 11:05am PST 
First off, last time I checked it's not normal for dachshunds to drag their hind end around. Yeah, Rondo stretches sometimes and sprawl out with his legs stretched out behind him (so cute!) but normal is walking around on all 4s. Sounds like there are a couple cases of disc issues with her dachsies. I hope she got them checked out when they first started displaying signs of back issues and I really hope that she's not breeding the paralyzed animals. I volunteered in a puppy mill rescue awhile back where the dachshunds were all purposely paralyzed so they couldn't move around too much when birthing or nursing the puppies. It was horrible.

As for would I buy from her? Personally, no. I know one can find an ethical dilemma in almost anything, but my dogs are both small and I have good sources here in town through the slaughterhouse and some local places that are willing to cut me great deals. I'd rather spend extra money and not have to think about my money going to someone who breeds irresponsibly. If she can't get it together to keep breeding conditions clean and sanitized, I wouldn't trust her to keep it together to bag up the large quantities of meat in a reasonable time frame.
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by Walter RL1 AoE CGC, Nov 19 9:48 am

Raw Food Diet > Hospitalization

Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Thu Nov 11, '10 9:39pm PST 
Rondo had a lump removed from his chest this summer. THe incision ended up being over 5 inches (it was quite a large mass, they had been reluctant to remove it but it was impeding his walking so I finally insisted)! He came home that night with no overnight stay. He did have an e-collar and I watched him like a hawk...but our vet said he was fine to come home after that.
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Leah, CGC, Nov 14 5:11 pm

Dog Health > pomeranian just got back from the groomer now hes bald!

Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Wed Nov 10, '10 9:36pm PST 
I worked as a groomer for years and dematted my share of dogs. With poms and other double-coated breeds I can usually get all the packed undercoat out without making the dog go bald, as could my colleagues. If the groomer noticed something awry I think you definitely should call the dr. ASAP. I wouldn't just randomly start medication or supplements for an issue if it hasn't been diagnosed by a professional. There are several issues, including thyroid, that could cause hair loss. Sounds like some blood tests are in order, and I would also talk to your groomer about line brushing so you can avoid the matting in the future!
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 10:18 am

Grooming > Topknot bows on male dogs
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Sun Nov 7, '10 6:15pm PST 
I've put bows in Rondo's hair before, but he also chose to steal the pink bed from his sister and prefers the girly colored toys to boot laugh out loud. He's comfortable enough with his masculinity to appreciate a good bow in his hair!
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Mississippi, Dec 25 10:54 pm

Raw Food Diet > Going on vaction, dogsitter feeding raw?

Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 6:52am PST 
I also do the baggie deal. I split up whatever the dogs will need into their own ziploc, add organs or whatever, and write the names on the bags with a sharpie. Then it's super-foolproof-one baggie a day!

I've had my dogs stay with quite a few people who don't raw feed. I try to avoid having anything overtly gross to non-raw folks in the bag (like those pinky rabbits or heads or anything) and make sure that I balance the meals enough so the poops should be always the same (I see enough raw feeders freak out over poop changes, I can't imagine how much a non-raw person would flip over it!). Everyone has been cool with the diet so far, even those with absolutely no knowledge of it. Good luck!
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rondo, Oct 26 6:52 am

Raw Food Diet > My dog is changing colour...

Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Tue Oct 26, '10 6:47am PST 
Almost every dog I know has changed color, either due to age or the seasons or whatever smile. I wouldn't worry about the color change.

For instance, my two black dogs tend to get reddish in the summer, and after I got Gretta and switched her to raw her tan points faded into cream. However, I started her on raw as a puppy so the color fade may have happened anyway, I have no way of knowing for sure smile. My friend has a pomeranian I used to dogsit frequently who started off an intense orange as a puppy but has faded into a creamy color as he's gotten older. He's kibble fed, though.

Oh, and shaded cream dachshunds start off as black little puppies, but as they grow up their color fades into a beautiful creamy color with black fringes. It's so pretty! There are a lot of other examples of dogs whose coats change color as they age as well. I used to work full time as a groomer and watching the coat colors change was one of the more fascinating parts of my job. Sometimes the change was dramatic, sometimes subtle, but always interesting!
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 27 9:55 am

Grooming > How do you bathe your dog?

Gretta

Where's my- Tiara?

Barked: Fri Oct 15, '10 11:19am PST 
I wish we had a self-service dog wash in town. Until that happens, though, I have one of those showerheads that has both the normal one and a 6 foot hose with a handheld sprayer. I can toggle between the two and choose where the water comes out. My dogs go in the tub for scrubbies. I use both a shampoo (or a dog soap bar) and a conditioner for both. Then I scrub down the bathroom and if Gretta (my cocker) is in a longer coat I hand dry her and haircut if necessary. I usually time bathtime for puppies with my weekly bathroom cleaning schedule. The dogs don't get baths every week, but it's so much easier to bathe them right before I clean.

I also wash all the dog beds, blankets, etc. on bath day.
» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by , Mar 21 8:32 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > City is going to charge fee to get into dog park
Rondo

Puppy Prodigy

Barked: Wed Oct 13, '10 5:51pm PST 
I used to pay a little more than that to use the dog park in NC. It was TOTALLY worth it. The dogs had to prove that they were up to date on the rabies vaccination, and they had people on the "Bark Patrol" who would watch for problem owners (who didn't pick up after their dogs) and problem dogs (who didn't play well with others) so I felt really safe using the park. The plus side of having a fee was that things like poop bag shortages, water fountain leaks,mud holes, etc. were all taken care of immediately. I really thought it was worth it paying for the use of the park; I knew that the dogs there would most likely be well-behaved and current on their vaccines (or titers) and that I wouldn't step in poop constantly smile.

In addition, we had GREAT lighting, shelters, and the rules were enforced with no young kids, no people food, no treats, etc. I really wish we had a pay-to-use park here with similar rules; sometimes I have to turn around and leave our park because people use it as a playpen for their toddlers or a picnic area for their lunch.
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Delta Force CGC RN NA RL1, Oct 25 9:25 am

(Page 1 of 273: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.