Postings by Shadow's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Raw Food Diet > Thoughts on feeding 3D and 4D meat?
Shadow

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 10:39am PST 
I can buy chicken for cheap enough from the grocery store but I should be feeding more red meat than white, right?

It looks like there is a butcher about an hour away from my house that some people on my yahoo group buy from with decent prices. I'll probably have to take a trip there. Most of the red meat would be ground though. Is a diet of ground boneless red meat and bone in white better than kibble? Has anyone ever fed goat? Is that considered red meat? Looks like they sell a whole goat cut into 6 pieces for $1.95/lb. Not really sure what that would look like. I'm not comfortable chopping up a whole animal. Well better I realized this now vs later.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Marley, Jan 9 10:19 am

Raw Food Diet > Thoughts on feeding 3D and 4D meat?
Shadow

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 12:00pm PST 
A recent thread here made me stop and think about where the meat I'm feeding my dogs is coming from. I started feeding raw because I wanted to feed my dogs a better diet than kibble, but I'm wondering if I'm just feeding them raw the same meat that would be in their kibble anyway.

The closest thing my state has to a co-op are individuals who sell meat through a yahoo raw feeding group. There is a Blue Ridge Beef distributor, a company called Top Quality Dog Food and another woman who sells meat that she says is sourced from New York farmers.

Blue Ridge lean beef is around $1.50/lb and this other woman sells a beef/tripe mix for $1.25/lb. It's nice that it is cheap, but I never really stopped to think about why. There must be something wrong with the meat since if there wasn't it could be sold for way more money for human consumption. Also the individuals selling this must be getting it for even cheaper and then mark it up to make a profit themselves.

I don't know any of this for a fact but google searches have resulted in posts saying that blue ridge does sell 3D beef and it is also denatured with charcoal. Anything within a similar price range must also be the same thing. I have never seen beef at the grocery store for a cheap enough price that I could afford to feed it to my animals on a regular basis. Even pork is usually at least $2/lb. If this is all I can afford to feed my dogs, is it any better of a diet than kibble?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Marley, Jan 9 10:19 am

Raw Food Diet > Blue Ridge Beef

Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Thu Dec 19, '13 7:25am PST 
I am skeptical about any raw food that is marketed for pets because if there was nothing wrong with it why wouldn't it be sold in the grocery store? However at the same time there is no way I could afford to feed my big dogs beef without a product like this and I'm thinking it has to be at least as good as kibble. I live in CT and have purchased Blue Ridge lean beef and natural mix from a local dealer.

Your thread prompted me to do a google search and I have no idea how true this is but a thread on dogfoodadvisor.com says that Blue Ridge is connected to Lea-Way Farms which is a collection facility for dead, diseased and dying animals. Also it is denatured with charcoal because the meat has been condemned for human consumption and it lessens the chance that it could ever make it into the human food supply chain.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chloe, Dec 19 7:25 am

Raw Food Diet > Answers Pet Food and picky eaters

Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Thu Dec 19, '13 7:03am PST 
I believe only the detailed blend uses kombucha and whey.

Do you think that both diets are balanced when the detailed includes more ingredients?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chloe, Dec 19 7:03 am

Raw Food Diet > Answers Pet Food and picky eaters

Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Wed Dec 18, '13 11:53am PST 
I know most on this forum probably prepare raw themselves but I was wondering if anyone feeds or has fed Answers Pet Food. There seems to be a consensus out there that it's better than other premade brands. They offer three meat sources and have two formulas, straight and detailed.

Straight is supposed to be a complete diet with the addition of raw goats milk. Straight is a combination of meat, organ and ground bone. Their organ content seems to be a bit high (30%) but they are including heart in addition to liver and kidney as an organ source. The goats milk has this listed for ingredients: Raw goat’s milk with added cultures (Lactococcus lactis and Leuconostoc mesenteroides),honey, and organic cinnamon.

Detailed includes other ingredients in addition to meat, organ and bone, like eggs, vegetables, kombucha, fish oil, montmorillonite and other trace minerals.

I have started feeding half raw, half kibble because I was unsure as to whether they were getting everything they needed when I was doing full raw. My little dachshund however now refuses to eat kibble. She is small enough that even feeding premade wouldn't be an issue. But I don't see how both of the answers formulas can be considered complete and balanced when the detailed formula clearly has more things added to it. My vet has told me that feeding meat bone organ and fish oil supplements is not a balanced diet that I could feed them long term.

Thoughts on the answers pet food? Does one formula seem better than the other?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Chloe, Dec 19 7:03 am

Raw Food Diet > Anal gland issues on raw?
Shadow

Barked: Wed Dec 18, '13 11:27am PST 
What did you add as a source of fiber?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Vance CGC, Dec 20 6:19 am

Raw Food Diet > Anal gland issues on raw?

Shadow

Barked: Thu Dec 5, '13 4:42pm PST 
Has anyone's dogs had any issues with their anal glands eating raw? Shadow's have possibly been expressed a few times here or there over the course of his life but he never really had any issues with them. A few weeks ago I noticed some blood spots on the floor and it turns out one of his anal glands ruptured. He didn't give any sign that he was having an issue. The vet said that the pluses of the raw diet are that they have smaller stool but that it isn't always large enough to express the glands. Is this a common issue among raw fed dogs? Or could it be it's because he is a senior dog and they can have these kinds of problems as they get older?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Dec 20 6:19 am

Raw Food Diet > To those who feed raw and kibble

Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Wed Oct 9, '13 3:56pm PST 
If I feed kibble in the am and raw in the pm, does each raw meal have to contain bone to avoid loose stool? Or could I alternate a boneless meal and then bone in the next day?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Nov 7 6:58 am

Food & Nutrition > Do you add anything to your dogs kibble?

Shadow

Barked: Wed Sep 25, '13 5:58pm PST 
do you feed the whole egg shell and all?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Ace, Oct 31 4:20 pm

Food & Nutrition > Do you add anything to your dogs kibble?
Chloe

small but mighty

Barked: Mon Sep 9, '13 8:38am PST 
I have been feeding raw since the beginning of the year but I'm thinking about doing half kibble half raw. I'm not sure I am providing enough variety and balancing things correctly.

I have read about people adding ACV, yogurt, cottage cheese and eggs among other things as a supplement to their dogs kibble.

I would be feeding a high quality kibble like TOTW or BB, would these supplements still be needed or are they for lower quality kibbles?

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about here and here are some supplement recipes I have found.

Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Ace, Oct 31 4:20 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.