Postings by Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, 's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 361: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Found an AWESOME site!
Mocha Bear- (Mokie),- VGG, KPA,

CEO of Rewarding- Behaviors Dog- Training

Barked: Mon Aug 29, '11 2:06pm PST 
I think Tawzer does actually give royalties to its presenters, while bowwowflix does not.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Ice, Aug 30 2:56 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > help me pick a show breed

Barked: Thu Jun 30, '11 8:18pm PST 
(LOL, Chows also rarely appreciate attention from strangers. Mokie is very much a "look, but don't touch" dog. At best, she tolerates it.)
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Jul 3 11:12 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > help me pick a show breed

Barked: Thu Jun 30, '11 7:59pm PST 
If you want a dog that is playful, has great other dog skills, does not guard your home, welcomes other dogs into your home with aplomb, etc., a Chow is not right for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Jul 3 11:12 pm

Sports & Agility > Treiball resources?

Barked: Mon Apr 18, '11 1:55pm PST 
I teach Treibball classes and seminars and am not a certified Treibball instructor.

While I've considered getting the certification offered by the American Treibball Association, I question the clicker method employed in some of the videos. In one video, I saw a dog receive approximately 90 clicks in less than ten minutes and only received about 25 reinforcements - this means that the dog is getting reinforced for less than 1/3 of the clicks. Apparently, this is called "the variant clicker method," which I've never heard of.

In my experience, a clicker is both a conditioned reinforcer and an event marker. It's power as a conditioned reinforcer is diminished each time it is not followed by reinforcement.

Love the exercises they've issued, not the training technique. If the "variant clicker method" is to be a requirement for certification, I'd rather not be certified - it goes against everything I learned both through the academy and at myriad clicker seminars and workshops taught by industry leading professionals.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jun 30 5:47 am

Behavior & Training > Really Neat Video on \"Drop It\"

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 11:14pm PST 
Oh, this is Chirag Patel - he's fantastic!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 24 8:43 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Chow Chow breeders

Barked: Mon Feb 21, '11 12:12am PST 
LOL, Chows don't want to be loved, they want to be worshiped. BIG difference! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, , Feb 21 12:12 am

Behavior & Training > Karen Pryor Academy

Barked: Wed Feb 9, '11 12:54am PST 
While there was a time for which the experience requirements are waived, that'll be coming to an end very soon.

I just finished writing a new course on clicker training for Karen Pryor Academy. This is a foundation course on clicker training and will be a pre-requisite for applicants who do not have clicker training or professional teaching experience within the year.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Torie, Feb 11 7:50 pm

Behavior & Training > Territorial Terrier!

Cuba

I am Cuba, hear- me snore!

Barked: Sat Jan 29, '11 9:47am PST 
What were Dr. Yin's recommendations? Did you incorporate any medication into the treatment? Calmative aids?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Lyle, Jan 30 11:30 pm

Behavior & Training > Teaching touch

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 11:46pm PST 
9 out of 10 times, when we're teaching targeting at class, and the dog actually touches a couple of times and then refuses to even look at the hand, what we have is a problem with the timing of the click.

When you are teaching a hand targeting behavior, you want to click for movement. Students are tempted to click when they feel the dog's nose hit their hand, but the rub is, the movement starts out so brief that if you're even a fraction of a second too late, what you actually end up clicking is the dog pulling his head away. So the dog gets clicked for pulling away, and then, understandably, refuses to look at the hand. At which time the clients moan, "my dog is stupid!" "He doesn't get it!"

Try to click right BEFORE your dog's nose hits the hand. Click as the dog is in motion moving toward the hand, do not wait to feel a nose on your hand. As a general rule, if the click isn't perfectly timed, it's far preferable to be slightly early with your click than slightly late.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, , Jan 27 11:46 pm

Behavior & Training > The most ridiculous thing your dog knows how to do?

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 11:42pm PST 
Mokie does "song and dance" where she pumps her front paws up and down and sings. She also does a Tori-Amos-esque piano/vocalization performance that will knock your bloody socks off. She's a very musical dog. She gets it from her dad, who is an amazing bass/banjo/guitar player/vocalist.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Droopy CD, RA, HH, TDI, CGC, Jan 29 5:05 am

(Page 1 of 361: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.