Postings by Daisy ♥'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 145: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Rufus - the Chuck Norris of Chihuahuas - is gone
Rufus

The Chuck Norris- of Chihuahuas!

Barked: Sat Jan 4, '14 7:43pm PST 
When we adopted Rufus in October 2008, I thought we'd surely be writing this post just a few weeks or months later. Now, over 5 years later, it seems unreal that he's really gone - like it's too soon. He was such a tough little dog, I don't know that we ever really expected that he'd actually die.

Rufus was a loud, cantankerous and demanding little dog and we loved every bit of that about him. We'd noticed he'd gotten less demanding and more whiny in the last few months but we never dreamed he was as bad off as he was. The vet never found anything "wrong" per se(no cancer, disease,etc.) ...he was healthy for his age (18+) but he was no longer thriving and hadn't for a long time.

Sometimes they go downhill so gradually that you don't really even notice it..it seems you wake up one day and they're just not at all the dog they used to be. That's what happened with Rufus. We really just stopped to LOOK at him and knew it was time. We didn't want to end his life but we knew we had to. He deserved better...he'd earned his rest.

We gave him one last good week of all the foods he could want, held him at night when he couldn't get comfortable and loved on him as much as possible. He really couldn't have cared less, though, BOL. He was just as cantankerous as ever. I guess he thought we'd finally gotten it right and were treating in the manner to which he should always have been accustomed.

Our vet and her staff were fantastic through the whole process. He was so relaxed and pain-free for those last few minutes - we knew we were doing the right thing. He went very quickly and peacefully in my husband's arms. He was definitely ready to go...I just wish we'd seen it earlier...or been as ready as he was. Going back and looking at his pictures and videos, we should have seen it earlier.

Rufus, I'm so sorry that you had to wait so long but thank you for being yourself right up until the end. We miss you terribly...the house is too quiet and the rest of the pack is lost without you. For such a little dog, you've left a great big hole in our home and our hearts. Run free, sweet boy.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 6 4:55 pm

Senior Dogs > Diaper Suggestions
The Wee- Beasties

The Wee 3 are- now the Wee 7!!!

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 6:54pm PST 
Just an FYI...our chi Rufus is 18 and we've seen several seniors for adoption that are 17-20 years old and still going strong. Our chi Logan started going gray young but at 9, he's still just like a puppy. You should have lots of time before you have to worry about her golden years!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 27 7:05 am

Small Dogs > Apartment Potty Options

The Wee- Beasties

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 6:48pm PST 
Small dogs often don't realize that the entire apartment is "inside". To them, it's a really big place and when it's empty, it's hard for them to understand that the entire thing is their "den" the way they do the smaller rooms. If you can make their world gradually larger a little at a time, they should eventually come to learn.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by The Wee Beasties, Sep 13 6:48 pm

Dog Health > Probiotics for me?

The Wee- Beasties

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 7:27pm PST 
We get a product called Probiocin from our vet that comes in a syringe. It works well for all of our pups when they have issues.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by The Wee Beasties, Jan 23 7:27 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Fundraising for rescue - rummage sale question

The Wee- Beasties

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 7:23pm PST 
A few years ago, I was here on Dogster, I believe and found a rescue or shelter that has a huge and very successful rummage sale. We're having a big sale for our Pet Alliance in a few months and I was hoping to, um, "borrow" some of their ideas but I can't seem to find out anything about them now and my notes are LOOONG gone (darn Spring cleaning!) BOL

Anyway, I remember they had cutesy names for different zones of the sale like "Barks & Noble" for the book area but I can't remember any of the others. If by some miracle any of you have heard of this and can point me in that direction, I'd appreciate it. Barring that, if you can help me think of dog and cat-related names for each section, I'd appreciate it!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by The Wee Beasties, Jan 23 7:23 pm

Dog Health > Keeping a doggie diary of health-related events
The Wee- Beasties

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 7:43pm PST 
There's a great app called Pet First Aid that I paid $4.99 for and I love it!

It's got the usual first aid stuff for dogs...wounds, injuries, poisoning, etc. but it also has a pet info page where you can list all their stats, shots, medications, food, care notes, etc and you can email that to anyone. It also has a journal page where you can make notes and a weight tracker. With 7 dogs and a foster, I HAVE to keep organized and this app helps me SOOO much!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 9 11:23 pm

Senior Dogs > Laser therapy for arthritis

Peaches- ♥

I'm adopted!!

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 8:06pm PST 
Our vet just started offering this. She was skeptical at first but she SWEARS by it now. It really is amazing and the dogs love the treatment. Even our grumpy girl loves going in for treatment...they laser after doing anal gland expression to help with inflammation and she nearly fell asleep on them last time.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Peaches ♥, Jan 16 8:06 pm

Dog Health > why does pippin keep knawing at his feet?

Jax

Foster Failure- #3

Barked: Thu Jun 30, '11 7:33pm PST 
Jax has some sort of grass allergy in the spring and fall and will chew on his feet and they end up getting infected. The inside of his ears will sometimes get very red at the same time. Vet gives him a short course of prednisolone and antibiotics as well as us giving him a daily dose of benadryl and he gets over it in a few days. Once it's under control, he usually doesn't break out again until the next season change. Seems to be worse when the grass is dry, too...not as bad if it's been raining.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jax, Jun 30 7:33 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > ANTS!!!

Peaches- ♥

I'm adopted!!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 5:13pm PST 
If you have them outside, put cornmeal on or near the ant hills. Little mounds of it everywhere. They love the stuff but can't digest it and it won't hurt if your pups if they get into it.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Peaches ♥, Jun 23 5:13 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > Vacuum recommendations?
Peaches- ♥

I'm adopted!!

Barked: Thu Jun 23, '11 5:11pm PST 
I know Dyson's are expensive but I can tell you that I'd gladly pay the price all over again for the clean we get.

We had a mid-priced vacuum and were reasonably happy with it but had an opportunity to get a Dyson for a good price. After vacuuming with the old one then immediately running the Dyson, I thought we wouldn't get much out of the carpet. Boy was I wrong!!! We had to empty the canister THREE TIMES!!! and this was from carpet that before we considered clean!

If it were me, I'd borrow someone's vac or buy a really cheap one and save up the money to buy the Dyson.
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by The Roo Crew™ ©®, Oct 29 6:16 pm

(Page 1 of 145: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.