GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

Dog Health > I'm sick
Dallas- Mueller

Dallasaurus

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 4:15pm PST 
Hi! I'm glad to hear that your fever went down and you are feeling better smile

I just went through the process of treating a dog with a tick bourne disease. Like your pup, he lost his apetite and had a very high fever. He actually tested negative for all tick bourne diseases, but my vet said that they might test negative:

1. Because they have not yet had time to produce antibodies
2. If the disease is in the chronic stage, the immune system may be compromised to the point that it is not producing antibodies at all!

The titer test for tick diseases looks for these antibodies to be present in certain significant amounts. So it could be that your dog may still be suffering from a tick bourne disease, which is nothing to take lightly, believe me!

I imagine if his fever goes away completely that you are in the clear, but if the fever remains, I would suggest speaking to your vet about treating your pup with doxycycline just in case there is a tick disease lurking there. The earlier you catch these diseases, they less likely they are to cause significant damage.

Unfortunately, we did not catch it early with my Dallas and it ended up really taking a toll on his immune system and bone marrow. He is on the road to recovery but it has not been easy.

Good luck to you, and it sounds like you may be in the clear (we sure hope so!!)

Kim, Dally and Lilly
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mia Bella, Dec 11 6:53 pm

Dog Health > I\'m limping-Mommy\'s worried
Dallas- Mueller

Dallasaurus

Barked: Mon Dec 11, '06 3:06pm PST 
Congrats! My dog Dallas had exactly the same thing happen about a year ago - very bad limping after he was active. I took him for x-rays and they diagnosed him with mild elbow dysplasia....but I decided secretly to just keep him quite with no running or playing for two weeks, and his limp completely went away, so now we are pretty sure it was a muscle tear. The good news is that if he does have elbow dysplasia, he doesn't have any symptoms yet!

I'm so glad your little guy is going to be just fine smile

K
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Duncan, Jan 2 9:45 am

Dog Health > Miracle Dogs!

Dallas- Mueller

Dallasaurus

Barked: Sun Dec 10, '06 8:57am PST 
I am considering my three year old dog Dallas to be a Christmas miracle dog smile His illness (as far as we know) started a month ago with a 105 fever and loss of apetite and lethargy. We discovered that he had NO white blood cells, and was severely anemic. We ran the gauntlet of tests - our vet suspecting everything from bone marrow cancer, to a chronic tick disease, to leukemia. He has shaved spots all over his body from his bone marrow biopsy and IV.

Long story short - we suspect he had a horrible viral or bacterial infection (as yet undiagnosed) that attacked his blood cells. It resulted in an auto-immune condition where his body was destroying his own white blood cells. So even though we had treated the virus and he was feeling fine, he still had no protection against further infection! We could not even take him out of the house frown But, after seeing an internist we started him on a steroid treatment to suppress his immune system, and voila - TONS of white blood cells! He is almost back to normal!!! It was the best outcome possible, and our little man is on the road to recovery just in time for Christmas.

It's all a bit of a mystery still, but the fact is that he is getting better and we hope we can get him off of those nasty steroids in a few months and he'll be good as new.

Does anyone else out there have a miracle dog story? Our pups go through so much and it's wonderful to hear about the happy endings smile

Kimberly, Dallas and Lilly
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Roswell, CGC, NPC, Dec 11 2:00 am

Food & Nutrition > What is a bully stick?

Dallas- Mueller

Dallasaurus

Barked: Sat Dec 9, '06 11:47am PST 
Well I finally broke down today and bought two expensive bully sticks for my pups....and altho they appeared to LOVE them....Dallas loved them a little TOO much. He literally had a 6 inch one halfway gone in 4 minutes. I had to take it away from him b/c he was going to swallow that last half in one gulp! Lilly lasted only slightly longer with her bully stick. I guess they just aren't meant for my big chewers.

Instead I'll stick with my stuffed marrow bones and kongs....but thanks everyone for giving me so many good tips! I wish my dogs ate them properly but they are just vaccuumes!!

K
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Dreamy, Feb 1 4:19 am

Dog Health > Oh great! Now I'M sick!

Dallas- Mueller

Dallasaurus

Barked: Fri Dec 8, '06 10:05am PST 
It sounds like you are doing what you can for Kaiser and Duke. Taking them to the vet is the best course of action!!

I don't know much about kennel cough or HW, but I do know about how agonizing it is to wait for news when your dear pup is sick. I just went through that for the past month, so I am right there with you!!! We just got some good news, and are treating my dogger, and I know the same will happen for you.

Hugs are being sent your way, and keep us posted.

Kimberly
[notify]
» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by Duchess, Dec 10 5:14 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Which breed/s do you favor and why?
Dallas- Mueller

Dallasaurus

Barked: Thu Dec 7, '06 10:36am PST 
Well my very favorite breed is the labrador retriever!! Of course smile I grew up with labs and now have two very beautiful labbies of my own. They are always up for whatever outdoor adventure we throw at them - hiking, fishing, swimming, camping, etc. They are such people pleasers and loyal friends. My friendship with my labs is more fullfilling than many of my friendships with people!!

That being said, I'd love to parent other breeds in the future. My first choices would be a Bernese Mountain Dog, golden retriever, siberian husky, rodesian ridgeback, rottie or boxer. My lifestyle needs a dog that is agile and likes to hike and be outside, so naturally I prefer big sporting type dogs.

IF I were to get a smaller dog I would go with a King Charles Cavalier spaniel - so adorable, or a shiba inu.

Yay - dogs are the best, all breeds!

K
[notify]
» There has since been 119 posts. Last posting by Georgie, Jan 4 9:10 am

Dallas- Mueller

Dallasaurus

Barked: Thu Dec 7, '06 9:58am PST 
Ok - I should have been able to figure that out from the name Bully Stick.........

Thanks though!

K
[notify]
» There has since been 67 posts. Last posting by Dreamy, Feb 1 4:19 am

Dallas- Mueller

Dallasaurus

Barked: Thu Dec 7, '06 9:22am PST 
I've heard lots of talk of bully sticks on these forums and I have never heard of them before! I'm interested to know what they are, if they are safe for big labradors, if they are good for teeth cleaning, etc. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
K, Dally and Lil
[notify]
» There has since been 70 posts. Last posting by Dreamy, Feb 1 4:19 am

Dog Health > Strange smell and licking - Anal glands?

Lilly

Born to fly

Barked: Thu Dec 7, '06 8:58am PST 
How ironic is this!! I posted this yesterday about my dog, and when I got home last night I noticed a very large wound on the butt of my cat, Everest, right next to and slightly below her anus (sorry to be graphic). It turns out that it may be an abscessed anal gland (we are taking her to the vet at noon today to have to checked out).

I had never given a thought to anal glands before yesterday, and now I have one dog who needs her's expressed, and a kitty who has her's abscessed! What a mess....is there something in the water at my house?!?

K
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 7 3:11 pm

Dog Health > Stung by a bee
Lilly

Born to fly

Barked: Wed Dec 6, '06 3:32pm PST 
My 60 pound black lab was stung by a bee and her face got very swollen immediately - eyelids and lips. We gave her some benadryl and she was just fine after an hour or so.

I would say to watch her tonight and if she is exhibiting any signs of being allergic to the sting, then call her vet. Otherwise, I assume that dogs, like humans, can be generally unaffected by bee stings unless they are allergic.

Kimberly
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Roswell, CGC, NPC, Dec 21 8:23 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.