Postings by Samson's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Generalizing Commands (aka Adding Distractions)
Samson

Barked: Thu Dec 12, '13 5:21pm PST 
Use that logical mind to your advantage here. Once a command is firm at home, add distractions while still at home (children playing, loud tv, extra people, food, whatever you can). Then, once that is solid, find a location she already knows with low distractions and practice there. As she firms up, try a known location with more distractions working toward an unknown with minimal distractions then eventually to an unknown with lots of distractions (busy store, etc).
Hope this helps!
Samson's human,
ChrisAnne
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by RidgeRunner, Dec 15 7:36 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > We Passed the CGC!
Samson

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 5:57pm PST 
Congrats to both Seely and human! I love hearing successful rescue and training stories and this is both. I too am self-training my sd who is a rescue. We aren't as far along as you are, but we will get there. Way to go!!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Czarka, CGC UJJ, Nov 22 9:14 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dogster Magazine: The Fake-Service-Dog Scam Is Getting More Popular

Samson

Barked: Mon Nov 4, '13 8:40am PST 
The phrase that owner trainers are defensive is actually offensive to me. I am frustrated that anyone would use that term for those of us with either view. This is an opinion forum after all.
With that said, I am owner-training my dog simply by location. The nearest trainer to me is over 2 1/2 hours. This is an impossible commute. The nearest standard dog trainer is almost an hour, but I am finding ways to make this work to get the help needed to train my big guy. It is kind of funny that we are all so worked up over type of training, when finding the right dog is probably the bigger issue. If a dog is not suited for the work, it won't matter what training it has. I have been blessed to find Samson (who by the way is a rescue) who is perfect for me and my lifestyle as a mobility assistance dog. His main job is to heal so I can balance on him and brace if necessary. He is thriving. I am thrilled that he is so smart as he makes me stay up on his training so I train him and not him training me!
Remember all, opinions are allowed on all sides. Take what you can and learn from it, but don't get too upset with the others.
Samson's mom
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:14 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Training through the Bad Days

Samson

Barked: Tue Oct 29, '13 5:51pm PST 
Calamity Jane, you most certainly can contribute to these thread even without a service dog. What you suggested is exactly how i deal with my fibro, RA and chronic fatigue. My doc says I need to walk short distances so if pain is below a 3, we go on a real walk, 4-5 a stroll around our small block, 6-7 means to the corner and back and over a 7 is around the house.
When it comes to training, i am blessed with a great hubby who can help do some training on my really bad days and on some of them cuddling in bed is training. After all, Samson is here to help me get through and to help me walk. :0
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Samson, Oct 29 5:51 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Can a dog work from a stroller?

Samson

Barked: Tue Oct 29, '13 5:48pm PST 
Bumping with Flicka to get above the spambot.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Samson, Oct 29 5:48 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Questions on hands free leads
Samson

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 5:43pm PST 
I use a leash that goes over my head and one shoulder when Samson is working. It clips to his harness without me having to hold it. This works great as he does mobility work so I need to be able to brace on him and he needs to be able to move to different positions around me to provide the needed bracing. It has worked great so far.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Beowulfs Beauregard CGC CGCA, Nov 17 6:23 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Ks law for service dog

Samson

Barked: Thu Oct 24, '13 5:40pm PST 
It sounds like the dog will be a phychiatric service dog which does require certain information from your doctor to qualify for. For the "tasks" of service dogs, it must be a task that you can no longer do for yourself like pick up items, balance, opening doors, etc.
The ADA site has a ton of great information.
Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Harley, SD, CGC, TDI, Oct 27 6:43 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Pennsylvania Law Clarification

Samson

Barked: Wed Oct 23, '13 1:24pm PST 
Th nk you so much!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Samson, Oct 23 1:24 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Pennsylvania Law Clarification

Samson

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 5:09pm PST 
Thank you! That sounded odd to me too. Do you have a link to the ADA federal law that I can access? Since I am the only SD team in my area, I want to have as much as possible ready to educate folks and make the process as simple for myself as possible.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Samson, Oct 23 1:24 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Don't know where to start!!
Samson

Barked: Tue Oct 22, '13 5:08pm PST 
Congrats on the van. I will add you getting the papers and other details worked out to my prayer list. Please let me know how it works out!
At my next appt, I am going to talk to my doc about handicapped plates. Do you have any words of advice to share?
God Bless,
Zippo and Samson's human,
ChrisAnne
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 5 9:34 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.