Postings by Abbie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

Dog Health > When is tail chasing NOT normal
Brevin

I like poop

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 9:03pm PST 
Ok I'm noticing some new behavior changes since we started interrupting his tail chasing. I don't know I'm doing something wrong or not. But he still does it quite frequently not as much. I guess that's a sign he's improving? Not sure because to compensate he is now chewing on his front legs! He chews his dew claws and he knows on his elbow of his back legs. I don't think he's itchy. He's on a very high quality food and his skin doesn't look irritated. But he'll just lay on his back with his feet in the air and wave his paws in the air while trying to catch them. And then when he does catch them he'll knaw. Idk, maybe I'm not offering enough mental stimulation?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali, Jan 19 6:22 am

Brevin

I like poop

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 8:42pm PST 
He does it multiple times a day, every single day. I'm going to start noting down how often he does it because he has been doing it a lot more the last few weeks. Probably about an 45 min- hour out of the whole day involves tail chasing. I will start calling him off and playing fetch when I see him do it from now on. We usually just ignored him because we figured he would outgrow it but lately I've started thinking about just how often he chases it and the manner in which he does.

I'm going to show my husband this thread to get him on board with stopping Brevins behavior. He finds it cute and wonders why I call him off sometimes. I would hate for this to turn into an OCD behavior :/
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Kali, Jan 19 6:22 am

Brevin

I like poop

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 9:12am PST 
So Brevin is going on 7 months now and he is still always chasing his tail! Like he'll go 5 minutes straight running in circles after it if I'd let him. He has plenty of toys but still seems to prefer the tail.

What I've noticed is he only chases it when it catches his attention. Like when it does a wag he'll look at it for a second, and then try and snatch it. And then sometimes he's actually able to grab his tail and when he does he's walking in a circle holding on to his tail with his mouth continuing to run in circles with it. He even once had his tail in his mouth, bumped into a wall, and then FELL over and rolled over onto his back all the while never letting go of his tail.

Should I intervene and not allow tail chasing anymore? He hasn't done any damage to it. Sometimes when he catches his tail he'll chew on it but I quickly tell him off.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Kali, Jan 19 6:22 am

Behavior & Training > What are some of your favorite quirks about your dogs?

Abbie

Barked: Thu Dec 12, '13 6:46am PST 
These are all so cute!

Another thing Abbie does is when the heater comes on she will crawl under the blanket and lay right next to it. I enjoy putting the blanket over the heater to warm up my feet and as soon as the heater comes on and she sees me reaching for that blanket, she knows. It gets to hot for me towards the end where it feels like it's burning my skin and there's Abbie, balled up enjoying the intense heat. Weird dog.

I found one Brevin. He loves chasing his tail. And when he finally catches it he won't let go and start walking around with his tail in his mouth.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Dec 13 8:18 am

Abbie

Barked: Thu Dec 12, '13 5:04am PST 
These are all so cute!

Another thing Abbie does is when the heater comes on she will crawl under the blanket and lay right next to it. I enjoy putting the blanket over the heater to warm up my feet and as soon as the heater comes on and she sees me reaching for that blanket, she knows. It gets to hot for me towards the end where it feels like it's burning my skin and there's Abbie, balled up enjoying the intense heat. Weird dog.

I found one Brevin. He loves chasing his tail. And when he finally catches it he won't let go and start walking around with his tail in his mouth.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Dec 13 8:18 am

Abbie

Barked: Tue Dec 10, '13 3:30am PST 
Loved coming on here and reading about your dog's quirks! It's so fascinating to read all about the different personalities out there! Keep em comin' ! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Dec 13 8:18 am

Abbie

Barked: Mon Dec 9, '13 3:59am PST 
Does your dog do anything that makes you say "awe!" Or entertain you? Share! I'd love to hear about the different quirks that some dogs have big grin

For starters Abbie always brings her tennis ball to bed and the first thing she does in the morning is ask to play fetch!

Abbie has a sad face. We say "show us your sad face... And she will be hunched, sitting in a corner and drop her head and look up at us. Instant melt!

Abbie will not eat anything unless someone is home to watch her eat it. Everytime we leave the house we give the dogs something to occupy their time and Abbie will take the bone and lay with it. When we get home she'll greet us and excitedly get her bone to start eating it. She does this even if we give her a raw meaty beef rib.

Also, I have two dogs and when we play fetch they work in a team. I throw the ball and Abbie goes to fetch it, brings it halfway where Brevin will meet her and take the ball from Abbie. And then Brevin brings the ball to me and then I throw again and we continue playing that way. I think it's super cute how we all play together!! It used to be where Abbie would just play fetch but Brevin has caught on that he wouldn't mind playing too!

I haven't had Brevin long enough to know and discover quirks for him. I'm sure over the next few years things will emerge but for now everything he does isn't cute but naughty as he's a puppy :p

Share your dogs quirks! If this needs moving to a different section please feel free. Wasn't quite sure where this belonged but figured it'll be fun to share smile
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Dec 13 8:18 am

Behavior & Training > Absent minded people walking their small dogs

Abbie

Barked: Mon Dec 9, '13 3:43am PST 
I too have a small dog and she always goes camping and backpacking with us during the spring/summer. I see some people looking at me funny because I'm bringing such a tiny dog with us and having her climb rocks and mountains but she truly enjoys herself! Since she's so small I do pay attention to my baby and luckily I have no problem carrying her since she's tiny. But that's a rare occasion when she gets tired. But people still seem to think small dogs just don't belong outdoors. But that Yorkie scenario is scary :/ I'd be concerned. And people dragging their dogs? How do you not notice your dog is slowing down?! What on earth is distracting them from the dog?! When I'm walking my dogs, big or small I'm always paying attention to them. That way if one steps on a sticker or decides to eat something funky I can come to the rescue ASAP lol plus the walk is all about them. What if the dog had to poop and you just kept walking, dragging a pooping dog behind you because you aren't paying attention...I find it odd people don't pay attention while walking their dogs
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Kloppers, Dec 10 6:44 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > If you know your Pit Bull is DA with some dogs why walk past houses where these types live? RANT

Abbie

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 12:29am PST 
There are also laws pertaining to leash lengths when walking in public. A nearby park here says no retractable leashes and dogs much be on a 6-8 ft leash at all times. Also since this dog is showing aggressive behaviors you should bring this up in case. She should not be walking an aggressive dog, NO MATTER THE BREED, on a 20 foot leash on PUBLIC property. She is failing to properly contain her dog and you should NEVER feel threatened on your own property because of this dog.

Before making any complaints I would expand her knowledge a little bit. She could just be ignorant and genuinely believes she is doing nothing wrong. Tell her if she can't properly contain her dog on public property and allowing her dog access to your property, knowing you have dogs he would kill you will have to report her. This woman knows her dog is a danger to other dogs, she admitted this. But she may not be aware of rules and regulations to keep other ssafe.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Twister, Jan 26 10:41 am

Raw Food Diet > Obsessed with poop eating!! And other questions regarding raw
Abbie

Barked: Thu Dec 5, '13 11:32pm PST 
I think on the days she gets a bony meal I will give her organs when she gets up to that point. I like to give her bones 3X a week. Is this an okay plan? Organs 3 times a week with her bone meal? Can you offer a good boney meal for a dog Abbie's size? I saw ox tails at the butcher and keep hearing about them on here. I want to avoid chocking hazard things for now until I'm comfy but Abbie seems so smart when eating her meals. She doesn't rush or anything and doesn't mind me hovering. She's the kind of dog that when we gave her a pig ear before we would leave the house she would wait until we got home to start eating it. We always joked that she waited to start eating it because she likes all eyes on her and she wants us to see the enjoyment she gets from eating her pig ear lol. Seriously, as soon as we get home she would greet us and then excitedly go get her pig ear and munch away. Did the same thing when we offered her a raw beef rib. Didn't eat it until we got home. Was surprised she held off even with raw meat in front of her!

She had a blast eating the pork neck. Was completely surprised she was able to eat the whole darn thing. She did leave a small pea sized hard bone behind. I was watching her eat it and when she got to that part she couldn't chew it small enough to her liking to swallow so left it behind. I love how smart she is when it comes to eating, she doesn't push herself. Even though the piece she left was tiny she still didn't want to swallow it.

Thanks again for your help!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Dec 7 9:55 am

(Page 1 of 11: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.