Postings by Kacy's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Better in the Raw
Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Mon Mar 11, '13 4:01am PST 
Thanks for sharing your experience with BITR. I'm going to hold off for now.

I meant "uncle" regarding an "all in one" type of supplement. Didn't mean I'm giving up on raw. I'm going to just supplement E for now, maybe fish/salmon oil for when I can't get whole fish. And I'll continue trying to "suss" out the best way to make sure they're getting all they need, but taking a break from the spreadsheet for a week or so. My head is about to explode!!

I do so thank you for taking the time to try to help me. I just can't seem to GET IT...

Donna
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Mar 13 7:03 am

Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Sun Mar 10, '13 9:43am PST 
I'm calling uncle confused
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Mar 13 7:03 am

Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 2:50pm PST 
What do you think of Animal Essentials Herbal MVit? If you think of it at all. It doesn't have nearly as much in it as Nupro, and its EFA appear to come from flax and chia rather than fish, but it does have more E (if I did conversion right) and covers manganese better. Still kicks B vits over daily requirements but overall the numbers look a bit better ... to my ignorant self.

http://www.k9power.com/animal-essentials-herbal-multi-vitamin-mi nerals.html
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Mar 13 7:03 am

Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 12:44pm PST 
So on the spreadsheet, if I multiply the dogs' weight x7 and then enter those numbers in preferences at SND, the tracking results will maybe be less shocking?!? You're very patient. I thank you big hug
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Mar 13 7:03 am

Kody

Is it time to- eat now?

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 9:49am PST 
I got some Nupro but I've been afraid to use it yet. My problem is that the nutritional break down I got from them is for a 3 scoop serving (that's 3 tablespoons) but I got the "small dog" container with the scoop being only 1 tsp .... I just can't seem to do the math. The things you've mentioned ... E, magnesium, manganese, and zinc ... seem to be the most lacking. I understand about the B vitamins being water soluble and thus will pee out any excess, but the A overage concerns me. Almost every combo I've entered has been MAJOR over on the A.

For an example, I did a recipe with just pork loin and pork heart. Just those 2 things, when I click on the "Tracking" whatsit, niacin is 805%, thiamine 749%, and B6 805%. A small scoop of Nupro throws those things into the 1750-2200% range and A goes to 435% and not nearly enough E .... etc, etc.

I keep seeing you post that Max's diet is NRC balanced but I just can't get there. And I realize every meal doesn't need to belanced and that's not what I'm going for, but .... well, I just don't know. I'm extremely frustrated. Am I over thinking? Obsessing much?
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Mar 13 7:03 am

Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 7:05am PST 
Is anyone familiar with this? I'm convinced that my boys aren't getting all their needs met with just meat, bones, organs. But any kind of multivitamin supplement will add WAY too much of some and not enough of others. I've played around with that spreadsheet thing until my eyeballs are bleeding, and absolutely everything I enter throws the B vitamins (for example) into the several-hundred percent range and very little vitamin E (for example). I cannot get a balance to save my soul and am about ready to give up.

Okay. That was probably too much information. Back to the original question. Does anyone use or know anything about Better in the Raw? Or Know
Better Dog Food, the version for cooked diet?
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Mar 13 7:03 am

Dog Health > Desperately Need Help With Allergies

Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 6:43pm PST 
I've only recently started DMG for Kody in the hopes that it will might lessen the frequency/severity of his seizures; too early to tell yet if this will be the case. While researching the use of DMG for seizures, I saw mentioned time and again about its use for dogs with allergies (among other things). It seems to be one of those "things" that works great for some dogs and not at all for others, and for those it does help, most vets will state there's absolutely no reason for it to work at all! I read many, many reports over many, many weeks ... didn't find a single report of side effects of any kind ... before deciding it "seemed" safe to give it a try. Below are links to just 2 articles that mention DMG use for allergies, if you're at all interested. In any case, I hope you find a solution.

http://totalhealthmagazine.com/features/pet-health/dmg-vitamin-b 15-for-pet-health.html

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/dvms/dmg.html
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 10 10:43 am

Food & Nutrition > Vitamin E supplementation

Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 3:51am PST 
I saw the purely-e one and considered it, but figured I'd get the same (well, maybe not exactly) from grinding the seed if I wanted to go the seed route. I also found one, the brand name of which I forget, that was a combination of sunflower and wheat germ oil. I haven't found much info about pros/cons of dogs and wheat germ, so that didn't quite set right with me either. Lew Olsen recommends 100 IU per 10 lbs (way more than the spread sheet calculation). Steve Brown recommends .... well, I'm not sure, what with all his charts and graphs, he never says x IU per x lbs that I can see.

I was really surprised to find out how little E was in the meat/bones/organs, given "hardcore" raw feeders insistence that dogs get ALL they need from that. I've played with a lot of meat/organ combos on the Self ND, along with throwing in different combos of veggies, seeds, etc., and I never did hit even close to the small amount of E K&K should have, but I probably did it wrong. I finally abandoned the ND Tracking thingy; my head was about to explode.

So if Max only needs 20 IU daily, you're not giving him a 400 IU capsule daily, right? Are you maybe dosing weekly, every 2 weeks, a couple of drops daily? The E that I ordered is in liquid form, so even just a drop once a week would meet my boys' tiny recommended amount. Or since E is fat soluble, one dose per month would still be more than enough. Oy vey! The more I learn, the more I'm confused. thinking
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Conker, Feb 1 3:58 am

Food & Nutrition > Vitamin E supplementation

Kody & Kacy

We're waiting- for it!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 2:13pm PST 
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. If not, so sorry.

IF (big if) I've crunched the numbers correctly in The Spreadsheet (you know the one I mean) my 14 lb dogs "require" less than 5 IU per day. That's not much, is it? Yet each and every recipe and combination of foods I've entered into the nutritional database come up short in the E department. After an exhaustive search, I thinkk I've finally an E supplement doesn't contain any soy, but it's 400 IU per 1/8 tsp. I was thinking a dose maybe as little as once a week, but even that's more than the "requirement" per the spread sheet. I've checked several books and several web sites, and the recommendations for supplementing E range anywhere from 50 IU per day to as much as 200-400 IU per day. Yikes!!!! Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Conker, Feb 1 3:58 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Balancing the Diet in 21 Easy Steps
Kody

Is it time to- eat now?

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 2:01pm PST 
I give up. I've been messing with this for days, and even a recipe with a single piece of beef is giving me numbers Off The Charts!! I calculated and entered and recalculated and reentered and double, triple, quadruple checked the various conversions, and it's just all out of whack. I'm either learning impaired or I'm seriously "misfeeding" my dogs. Thanks for trying to help, but I've got to just step away before I hurt myself shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Aug 13 5:29 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.