Postings by Cece's Family

GO!

Dog Health > Red bump on Ryder's leg?

Ryder

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 3:57pm PST 
Hello,

I have a question about a red bump on Ryder's leg, but I guess I should start at the beginning...

Wednesday morning Ryder would not come for his breakfast (which is unheard of). Then, while I am getting the kids ready for school, I notice that he is sitting in a chair trembling and his teeth are chattering. My husband called the vet and while he was on hold, I notice that the basement door is ajar. We go downstairs and find that Ryder had torn into a brand new 30 pound bag of dog food and helped himself (he is an 18 pound dog)! Long story short, Ryder spent the day hospitalized with induced vomiting and hooked up to IVs. He had actually eaten so much that he had gained 2 full pounds (we know this because he had just been to the vet for his Rabies vaccine 3 weeks before, and they had weighed him then). I still can't believe the x-rays they took of his stomach...he was FULL of food. Luckily he was okay and sent home that evening. He just had to eat a limited, bland diet for a few days.

This morning we notice that he has a bright red bump, about the size of a pea, on the opposite front leg from where they put his IV. The bump is firm, very raw looking, and between his thumb pad and the big pad on his foot. He does not seem bothered by it. I even wiped it with an alcohol wipe because I was worried about infection and he didn't even flinch. Any ideas as to what this could be...its Sunday night so I can't call the vet until morning and I'm kind of freaked out because it came out of nowhere? Could it be related to his trip to the vet? Or his Rabies vaccine? Or something else entirely? Has anyone ever seen this before? Thank you for listening!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by joey, Jan 6 5:38 pm

Puppy Place > New here with housebreaking question
Cece

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 11:34am PST 
Thank you for the advice. I guess I keep forgetting how young she really is. I got my Jack Russell mix at 13 weeks and he was housebroken within a week...I have to keep in mind that they are different dogs though. I'm sure Cece will get it in her own time!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lexus, Jan 5 8:02 pm

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Syracuse anyone?

Ryder

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 3:29pm PST 
Hi, I'm new here and from Syracuse. My dogs may not be a good match for you if you are looking for medium to large dogs (I have a Jack Russell mix and a Shihpoo), but I did want to suggest our local dog park. It is located in Onondaga Lake Park in Liverpool. They offer a large dog area and a small dog area, so you may want to check it out. Also, there is a place in Nottingham Plaza (which is very close to SU, if that is where you are going to school), called Blue Prints Dog Studio. They offer training and doggie daycare and might have some suggestions for you. Good luck and welcome to Syracuse!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ryder, Dec 19 3:29 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Amish Puppy Mills?

Cece

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 3:20pm PST 
I am new here and think I may have bought a puppy mill puppy without realizing what I was doing. Cece was advertised in the local newspaper and the family I got her from was located in Penn Yann, NY. I really didn't know much about puppy mills...I guess I figured puppy mill puppies were all sold to pet stores, so as long as I wasn't buying from a pet store, then I was okay (I realize now, that thinking is wrong and I would most likely get a rescue next time). The family in Penn Yann happened to be Amish. I didn't think too much of it, but the next day, at work, two of my co-workers mentioned that their dogs had also been purchased in Penn Yann from Amish families. We all just thought it was a weird coincidence, but after Googling "Amish" and "puppy", I am starting to wonder.

How can you tell if what looks like just people breeding a couple of family dogs is really a puppy mill? The family seemed so nice that it is almost impossible to imagine they could treat any living thing in a cruel way, but the more I read the more I wonder. I feel awful if I have indeed contributed to this horrible practice. Thank you for listening to my "confession" and I appreciate any advice on what I can do to help stop puppy mills in my state, now that I am more aware of the issue.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Tohbi - Deceased 10/04/2013, Feb 26 6:56 am

Puppy Place > New here with housebreaking question

Cece

Barked: Tue Dec 18, '12 4:51pm PST 
Hello, everyone! I am new here and have a 13 week old Shihpoo named Cece. She is doing quite well with the housebreaking, as far as peeing goes, but keeps pooping in the house. Does anyone have any suggestions or know why she is having more trouble with poop than pee? Thank you and I look forward to getting to know all of you and your dogs!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Lexus, Jan 5 8:02 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.